Re: [BCD396XT] Fire tone out search

  • pitboss1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      thanks a lot Paul and Patrick that does help.... Happy scanfacing!!

      From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
      Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:11:59
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Fire tone out search

      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:FTOs

      ________________________________
      From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@yahoo. com>
      Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:06:41
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

      Reed tone is a legacy term harkening back to when an audio tone was used to vibrate a reed in the pager that was tuned to that specific frequency. While there might still be many of these in use (since many were made) I believe most modern pager receivers use electronic tone decoders.

      When a tone goes out, you typically hear two tones followed by the page announcement. Those two tones are the "reed tones" and you must program these into the scanner in order for the scanner to detect and also be triggered by the tones.

      FTO only works on conventional frequencies and is an exclusive standby mode...ie you can't FTO and scan at the same time.

      More info and links have been collected at http://wiki. radioreference. com/index. php/Fire_ Tone_Out

      ________________________________
      From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
      Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogrou p s.com>

      If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
      your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
      when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
      open and let you hear the announcement.

      The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
      need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
      uses, if the information is not readily available.

      See the Twiki for more infomation:
      http://info. uniden.com/ twiki/bin/ view/UnidenMan4/ ToneOutMode

      On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

      > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
      > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
      > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
      > tone out.... But am interested

    • K8DNE
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        Read all of the information that Paul has provided. Then enter your
        search frequencies and "0" in both tone boxes. The radio will show the
        tones received. However, they may not be exact. Merely compare the
        tones that the radio lists to the closest tone on the charts listed
        below and enter the known tone. Label as needed.

        Motorola Quick Call 2 protocol:

        <http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_2.htm>

        <http://www.qsl.net/k3fss/tones.html>

        In addition to Paul's information, if you please.

        --
        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

        W H Reynolds, K8DNE
        Rowlett, TX RACES Radio Officer
      • pitboss1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010