RE: [BCD396XT] Fire tone out search

  • Patrick - Used 2-Way
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      He is refering to the 2 Tone Sequential that older conventional channels use. Before the tones were synthesized a pager needed tone reeds.
      Then as technology caught up you simply programmed in the specific frequency into slot A and slot B.
      Any time you hear a fire dept using the 2 long tones, they opened up the speakers at that specific station. Each tone is a set frequency, and when the A and B tone matched, an alert would sound.
      Some depts also use a third long tone, or C tone for All Call.

      Hopefully this helps a little.

      From: David McCormick <dmccorm@...>
      Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

      If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
      your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
      when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
      open and let you hear the announcement.

      The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
      need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
      uses, if the information is not readily available.

      See the Twiki for more infomation:
      http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ToneOutMode

    • pitboss1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        Thanks paul I will try it with the patch freqs. Do u know how I would find theese reed tones are they on rr?

        From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
        Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:06:41
        To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

        Reed tone is a legacy term harkening back to when an audio tone was used to vibrate a reed in the pager that was tuned to that specific frequency. While there might still be many of these in use (since many were made) I believe most modern pager receivers use electronic tone decoders.

        When a tone goes out, you typically hear two tones followed by the page announcement. Those two tones are the "reed tones" and you must program these into the scanner in order for the scanner to detect and also be triggered by the tones.

        FTO only works on conventional frequencies and is an exclusive standby mode...ie you can't FTO and scan at the same time.

        More info and links have been collected at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Fire_Tone_Out

        ________________________________

        From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
        Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
        To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

        On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

        > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
        > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
        > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
        > tone out.... But am interested

      • Paul Opitz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:FTOs

          ________________________________
          Thanks paul I will try it with the patch freqs. Do u know how I would find theese reed tones are they on rr?

          From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@yahoo. com>
          Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:06:41
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
          Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogrou p s.com>

        • pitboss1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            thanks a lot Paul and Patrick that does help.... Happy scanfacing!!

            From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
            Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:11:59
            To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

            From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
            Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
            To: <BCD396XT@yahoogrou p s.com>

            If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
            your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
            when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
            open and let you hear the announcement.

            The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
            need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
            uses, if the information is not readily available.

            See the Twiki for more infomation:
            http://info. uniden.com/ twiki/bin/ view/UnidenMan4/ ToneOutMode

            On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

            > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
            > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
            > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
            > tone out.... But am interested

          • K8DNE
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              Read all of the information that Paul has provided. Then enter your
              search frequencies and "0" in both tone boxes. The radio will show the
              tones received. However, they may not be exact. Merely compare the
              tones that the radio lists to the closest tone on the charts listed
              below and enter the known tone. Label as needed.

              Motorola Quick Call 2 protocol:

              <http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_2.htm>

              <http://www.qsl.net/k3fss/tones.html>

              In addition to Paul's information, if you please.

              --
              Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

              W H Reynolds, K8DNE
              Rowlett, TX RACES Radio Officer
            • pitboss1@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010