Fire tone out search

  • pitboss1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire tone out.... But am interested
    • David McCormick
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
        your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
        when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
        open and let you hear the announcement.

        The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
        need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
        uses, if the information is not readily available.

        See the Twiki for more infomation:
        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ToneOutMode

      • pitboss1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thanks Dave, so two questions then. 1 what is a reed tone in term. 2 put the radio in tone out mode. The reason I ask is most of the systems I listen to are trunked with the exception of multiple conv. Channels I listen to. Will it work with all

          From: David McCormick <dmccorm@...>
          Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Fire tone out search

          If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
          your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
          when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
          open and let you hear the announcement.

          The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
          need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
          uses, if the information is not readily available.

          See the Twiki for more infomation:
          http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ToneOutMode

          On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@... wrote:

          > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
          > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
          > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
          > tone out.... But am interested

        • Paul Opitz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Reed tone is a legacy term harkening back to when an audio tone was used to vibrate a reed in the pager that was tuned to that specific frequency. While there might still be many of these in use (since many were made) I believe most modern pager receivers use electronic tone decoders.

            When a tone goes out, you typically hear two tones followed by the page announcement. Those two tones are the "reed tones" and you must program these into the scanner in order for the scanner to detect and also be triggered by the tones.

            FTO only works on conventional frequencies and is an exclusive standby mode...ie you can't FTO and scan at the same time.

            More info and links have been collected at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Fire_Tone_Out

            ________________________________

            From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
            Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
            To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

            On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

            > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
            > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
            > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
            > tone out.... But am interested

          • Patrick - Used 2-Way
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              He is refering to the 2 Tone Sequential that older conventional channels use. Before the tones were synthesized a pager needed tone reeds.
              Then as technology caught up you simply programmed in the specific frequency into slot A and slot B.
              Any time you hear a fire dept using the 2 long tones, they opened up the speakers at that specific station. Each tone is a set frequency, and when the A and B tone matched, an alert would sound.
              Some depts also use a third long tone, or C tone for All Call.

              Hopefully this helps a little.

              From: David McCormick <dmccorm@...>
              Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
              To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

            • pitboss1@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                Thanks paul I will try it with the patch freqs. Do u know how I would find theese reed tones are they on rr?

                From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
                Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
                To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

                If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
                your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
                when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
                open and let you hear the announcement.

                The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
                need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
                uses, if the information is not readily available.

                See the Twiki for more infomation:
                http://info. uniden.com/ twiki/bin/ view/UnidenMan4/ ToneOutMode

                On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

                > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
                > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
                > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
                > tone out.... But am interested

              • Paul Opitz
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:FTOs

                  ________________________________
                  Thanks paul I will try it with the patch freqs. Do u know how I would find theese reed tones are they on rr?

                  From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@yahoo. com>
                  Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:06:41
                  To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
                  Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
                  To: <BCD396XT@yahoogrou p s.com>

                • pitboss1@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                    thanks a lot Paul and Patrick that does help.... Happy scanfacing!!

                    From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
                    Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:11:59
                    To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: David McCormick <dmccorm@charter. net>
                    Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:08:06
                    To: <BCD396XT@yahoogrou p s.com>

                    If you want to leave the radio in the Fire Tone Out mode, you can put
                    your local fire department reed tone in on of the memory locations and
                    when the tone is heard on your departments frequency, the squelch will
                    open and let you hear the announcement.

                    The XT radios will also search for the A and B reed tones so you do not
                    need additional software and sound card to discover what your department
                    uses, if the information is not readily available.

                    See the Twiki for more infomation:
                    http://info. uniden.com/ twiki/bin/ view/UnidenMan4/ ToneOutMode

                    On 1/1/2010 4:44 PM, pitboss1@yahoo. com wrote:

                    > Ok I have had my scanner for a long time and have never done a fire
                    > tone out search. Can someone let me know what the action is for or the
                    > benefit of this.. I do not particularly understand the actual fire
                    > tone out.... But am interested

                  • K8DNE
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                      Read all of the information that Paul has provided. Then enter your
                      search frequencies and "0" in both tone boxes. The radio will show the
                      tones received. However, they may not be exact. Merely compare the
                      tones that the radio lists to the closest tone on the charts listed
                      below and enter the known tone. Label as needed.

                      Motorola Quick Call 2 protocol:

                      <http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_2.htm>

                      <http://www.qsl.net/k3fss/tones.html>

                      In addition to Paul's information, if you please.

                      --
                      Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

                      W H Reynolds, K8DNE
                      Rowlett, TX RACES Radio Officer
                    • pitboss1@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010