Re: [BCD396XT] USB to Serial Adapter to use with Programming software

  • Thomas A. Frank
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      Joey;

      I am using a Keyspan USA-19HS, with an HP netbook running Vista, ARC-
      XTpro, and my 396XT.

      That configuration works properly.

      I think I paid about $15 on eBay for the Keyspan module.

      Even if it is a few dollars more, you might want to spend a couple of
      extra dollars to get a module from a 'real' manufacturer, so that you
      continue to have driver support available in the future. You may
      find yourself switching to Win7 soon...or a new computer...or you may
      find other uses for the USB-serial capability. I've used this
      particular module for a while across several platforms (Win, Mac,
      Linux) for various things.

      Tom Frank, KA2CDK

      On Jan 1, 2010, at 10:31 AM, J Harrell wrote:

      > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to
      > use it with
      > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
      > have a
      > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone
      > know
      > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
      > cheap? I
      > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
      > some come
      > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as
      > I may
      > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
      > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joey
    • Rich Carlson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        I would bite the bullet and spend the $20 or so for the USB-1 cable
        from ScannerMaster. It will work in XP, Vista and W7 just fine, you
        can download the drivers for each from the ScannerMaster site.

        You can use other USB-serial devices but this one is known to work
        just great with all the current Uniden scanners.

        --
        Rich Carlson, N9JIG