Re: [BCD396XT] USB to Serial Adapter to use with Programming software

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
      Correction:
      Less than $3 (shipped) from the USA or less than $2 from China.

      <http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=usb+adapter+rs232>

      Joe M.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
        Otherwise pick one up at Best Buy. It will work with Vista and Windows 7
        also.

        MCH wrote:

        > You should be able to find a USB to RS232
        > adapter on eBay for around $5 shipped.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > J Harrell wrote:
        > >

        > > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to use
        > it with
        > > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
        > have a
        > > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone know
        > > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
        > cheap? I
        > > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
        > some come
        > > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as I may
        > > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
        > > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Joey

      • Thomas A. Frank
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
          Joey;

          I am using a Keyspan USA-19HS, with an HP netbook running Vista, ARC-
          XTpro, and my 396XT.

          That configuration works properly.

          I think I paid about $15 on eBay for the Keyspan module.

          Even if it is a few dollars more, you might want to spend a couple of
          extra dollars to get a module from a 'real' manufacturer, so that you
          continue to have driver support available in the future. You may
          find yourself switching to Win7 soon...or a new computer...or you may
          find other uses for the USB-serial capability. I've used this
          particular module for a while across several platforms (Win, Mac,
          Linux) for various things.

          Tom Frank, KA2CDK

          On Jan 1, 2010, at 10:31 AM, J Harrell wrote:

          > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to
          > use it with
          > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
          > have a
          > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone
          > know
          > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
          > cheap? I
          > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
          > some come
          > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as
          > I may
          > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
          > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Joey
        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
            I would bite the bullet and spend the $20 or so for the USB-1 cable
            from ScannerMaster. It will work in XP, Vista and W7 just fine, you
            can download the drivers for each from the ScannerMaster site.

            You can use other USB-serial devices but this one is known to work
            just great with all the current Uniden scanners.

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG