new firmware-uids

  • pitboss1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
      Ok, finally did the update. I noticed though for my situation, I always use display mode 2, so I noticed last night that it would take a while sometimes for it to alternate and show the uid. sometimes would be quick, and sometimes would not eben show up.. Keep in mind following a mot type2 system.anybody else notice same... Thanks Tony.
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
        I use Display Mode 3 so it's always right there on the third line rather
        than alternating on the second line.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
          Thanks joe, but do you know why it takes a while to switch back n forth.. Only reason is I'm a big freak about seeing my tgids with the name I have them...

          From: MCH <mch@...>
          Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:16:13
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] new firmware-uids

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
            Readability. If it switched faster it would be more difficult to read
            either the TGID/name or the UID/name. If it's not switching faster than
            about 1 second, then it's slow picking up the UID.

            The UID on the third line is the only way I can reliably read the
            TGID/name. With it switching, I'm always looking at the wrong time, and
            taking your eyes off the road for too long is not a good idea. Glances
            are the only safe way to go.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
              True, makes sense sometimes it won't even switch over.. Maybe cause its trying to pick the uid and then switch between tgid name... Thanks

              From: MCH <mch@...>
              Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:51:49
              To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

              pitboss1@... wrote:
              > Thanks joe, but do you know why it takes a while to switch back n forth.. Only reason is I'm a big freak about seeing my tgids with the name I have them...

              > From: MCH <mch@...>
              > Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:16:13
              > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] new firmware-uids
              >
              > I use Display Mode 3 so it's always right there on the third line rather
              > than alternating on the second line.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > pitboss1@... wrote:
              >> Ok, finally did the update. I noticed though for my situation, I always use display mode 2, so I noticed last night that it would take a while sometimes for it to alternate and show the uid. sometimes would be quick, and sometimes would not eben show up.. Keep in mind following a mot type2 system.anybody else notice same... Thanks Tony.

            • johnstark
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                I found mounting the scanner in the right place helps too, I have it so I
                can still see the road when looking at it.
                Oh, and a really cheap mount that works is a microphone mount, fits perfect
                and it's secure.

                > Readability. If it switched faster it would be more difficult to read
                > either the TGID/name or the UID/name. If it's not switching faster than
                > about 1 second, then it's slow picking up the UID.
                >
                > The UID on the third line is the only way I can reliably read the
                > TGID/name. With it switching, I'm always looking at the wrong time, and
                > taking your eyes off the road for too long is not a good idea. Glances
                > are the only safe way to go.
                >
                > Joe M.
                >
                > pitboss1@... wrote:
                >> Thanks joe, but do you know why it takes a while to switch back n forth..
                >> Only reason is I'm a big freak about seeing my tgids with the name I have
                >> them...

              • Paul Opitz
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                  Also, on a Motorola system the UID is only sent on the control channel on the initial channel grant. So, if you enter a conversation late, you'll miss the UID entirely. Also, if the scanner doesn't have a chance to go back to the control channel between transmissions (i.e. if the person responds without a carrier drop), the scanner won't catch the 2nd party's UID. That will account for some missed UIDs, especially if you are scanning multiple systems.

                  ________________________________

                  From: MCH <mch@...>
                  Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:51:49
                  To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                    Thanks Paul, I thought about that but wasn't sure. Thought maybe because the one system in question is a splinter system too...

                    From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
                    Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:08:57
                    To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: MCH <mch@...>
                    Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:51:49
                    To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                      Even mounted in front of your nose, when you're focused on the scanner,
                      you're not focused on the road. That's why the info has to be there when
                      you're looking at the scanner.

                      But, certainly a good mounting location is better than a bad one. I have
                      mine so it's right below the dashboard with the antenna above it for
                      optimum reception in the vehicle. I use a mic hang-up clip which works
                      great for holding the scanner.

                      Joe M.

                      johnstark wrote:
                      > I found mounting the scanner in the right place helps too, I have it so I
                      > can still see the road when looking at it.
                      > Oh, and a really cheap mount that works is a microphone mount, fits perfect
                      > and it's secure.
                      > John

                    • Aaron Siller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                        i noticed on p25 it doesnthaveto wait to go back to the control channel  to get the unit id

                        Thanks

                        Aaron Siller

                        N5AMS

                        Aldine,Tx

                        http://www.twitter.com/n5ams

                        http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                          I used to use display mode 2 but since the firmware updates with the
                          uids I've been using display mode 3.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2009
                            No, on P25 systems it does not.

                            Joe M.

                          • shelleysh1@att.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 1, 2010
                              Joe, have you considered a remote head?? - I have mine (securely) mounted on center of the dash, all the way in the front, almost against the windshield. That way, as I drive, I barely need to take my eyes off the road to glance at it to see the TGID/name or the UID/name or anything else which I'm interested in seeing. It's not only a lot nicer, it's also a whole lot safer! *smile*

                              Shell

                              P.S. Happy New Year everyone!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 1, 2010
                                I have one and like it very much (except for the lack of multi-color).

                                Yes, it is more safe from the aspect that it's easier to read since the
                                display is larger.

                                Joe M.