RE: [BCD396XT] 396XT Bird

  • Clayton
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
      One more thing to try: Use the PL or DPL tone squelch. You can search for
      the tone/code if you don't know it, then hit "E" when it receives the
      correct one and it will store it. If the user/freq is reasonably strong, it
      may overcome the local interference and at least not hang on the freq. Most
      conventional freqs now are transmitting a PL or DPL, but there are still a
      few that aren't. Just something else to try.

      Clayton

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
        I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the birdie on the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my area. However it doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it. With the PL programmed for that freq what I get is, what sounds like, two or more people transmitting at the same time on the repeater and it becomes pretty much unreadable.

        My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the whole scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix? It would kinda suck to fix one birdie but get another on another frequency that is already working OK.

        jeff

        From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        f MCH
        ent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:32 AM
        o: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
        ubject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396XT Bird

        In addition to what Paul said...
        A few things come to mind.
        1. Isolate the source. I friend's monitor drives my scanners crazy, but
        one of the 4 I have in the office do. Try shutting off the monitor to
        ee if that is perhaps the source (and if it is, replace it).
        2. If it's coming from the PC, get one that is less noisy. I have 6 PCs
        unning (and more in other rooms) and have few noise problems. I have
        ad some PCs that were terrible with RF emissions.
        3. Try an external antenna. Basically what this does it that it gets the
        ntenna away from the noise source. I would prefer to solve the problem
        ather than the symptom, but if replacement of the noise source is not
        n option, this may work. Get the antenna as far away from the source as
        ossible.
        Joe M.
        matthew wrote:
        Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I
        an't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going
        bsolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my
        rea, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?

        Matt

        2/29/09 02:47:00

      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
          just that frequency

          > I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the birdie on
          > the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my area. However it
          > doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it. With the PL programmed
          > for that freq what I get is, what sounds like, two or more people
          > transmitting at the same time on the repeater and it becomes pretty much
          > unreadable.
          >
          > My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the whole
          > scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix? It would kinda suck
          > to fix one birdie but get another on another frequency that is already
          > working OK.
          >
          > jeff

        • Richard A. Victor
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
            At 09:28 PM 12/29/2009, you wrote:

            >I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the
            >birdie on the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my
            >area. However it doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it.
            >With the PL programmed for that freq what I get is, what sounds
            >like, two or more people transmitting at the same time on the
            >repeater and it becomes pretty much unreadable.

            I would imagine that's because the interfering signal remains and
            once the PL opens the squelch you still have the interference and the
            desired signal together on that frequency. The PL would just keep it
            from annoying you when there's no legitimate signal with the correct
            PL on that frequency.

            >My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the
            >whole scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix?

            You can do it one channel at a time. See page 18 of the complete reference.

            Dick

          • bigfella237
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
              Is your monitor a CRT or a LCD (flat-screen)?

              The old CRT monitors used to drive me crazy with RF but after upgrading to LCDs I can have multiple monitors with scanners sitting right beside them and no interference what so ever.

              You can usually get around the CPU generated RF by moving it under your desk and away from the receivers, in other words, increase the vertical separation (same as the antennae in your mast).

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
                All of mine are now flatscreen, but neither the current ones nor the old
                ones had noise. My friend's is a flatscreen that produces a ton of noise
                when you're within 10 feet of it.

                Joe M.

                bigfella237 wrote:
                > Is your monitor a CRT or a LCD (flat-screen)?
                >
                > The old CRT monitors used to drive me crazy with RF but after upgrading to LCDs I can have multiple monitors with scanners sitting right beside them and no interference what so ever.
                >
                > You can usually get around the CPU generated RF by moving it under your desk and away from the receivers, in other words, increase the vertical separation (same as the antennae in your mast).

                >> In addition to what Paul said...
                >>
                >> A few things come to mind.
                >>
                >> 1. Isolate the source. I friend's monitor drives my scanners crazy, but
                >> none of the 4 I have in the office do. Try shutting off the monitor to
                >> see if that is perhaps the source (and if it is, replace it).
                >>
                >> 2. If it's coming from the PC, get one that is less noisy. I have 6 PCs
                >> running (and more in other rooms) and have few noise problems. I have
                >> had some PCs that were terrible with RF emissions.
                >>
                >> 3. Try an external antenna. Basically what this does it that it gets the
                >> antenna away from the noise source. I would prefer to solve the problem
                >> rather than the symptom, but if replacement of the noise source is not
                >> an option, this may work. Get the antenna as far away from the source as
                >> possible.

              • J Harrell
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                  I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to use it with
                  my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not have a
                  serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone know
                  where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista cheap? I
                  have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and some come
                  with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as I may
                  only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                  suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?

                  Thanks,
                  Joey

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                    You should be able to find a USB to RS232
                    adapter on eBay for around $5 shipped.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                      Correction:
                      Less than $3 (shipped) from the USA or less than $2 from China.

                      <http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=usb+adapter+rs232>

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                        Otherwise pick one up at Best Buy. It will work with Vista and Windows 7
                        also.

                        MCH wrote:

                        > You should be able to find a USB to RS232
                        > adapter on eBay for around $5 shipped.
                        >
                        > Joe M.
                        >
                        > J Harrell wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to use
                        > it with
                        > > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
                        > have a
                        > > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone know
                        > > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
                        > cheap? I
                        > > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
                        > some come
                        > > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as I may
                        > > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                        > > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Joey

                      • Thomas A. Frank
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                          Joey;

                          I am using a Keyspan USA-19HS, with an HP netbook running Vista, ARC-
                          XTpro, and my 396XT.

                          That configuration works properly.

                          I think I paid about $15 on eBay for the Keyspan module.

                          Even if it is a few dollars more, you might want to spend a couple of
                          extra dollars to get a module from a 'real' manufacturer, so that you
                          continue to have driver support available in the future. You may
                          find yourself switching to Win7 soon...or a new computer...or you may
                          find other uses for the USB-serial capability. I've used this
                          particular module for a while across several platforms (Win, Mac,
                          Linux) for various things.

                          Tom Frank, KA2CDK

                          On Jan 1, 2010, at 10:31 AM, J Harrell wrote:

                          > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to
                          > use it with
                          > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
                          > have a
                          > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone
                          > know
                          > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
                          > cheap? I
                          > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
                          > some come
                          > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as
                          > I may
                          > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                          > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Joey
                        • Rich Carlson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                            I would bite the bullet and spend the $20 or so for the USB-1 cable
                            from ScannerMaster. It will work in XP, Vista and W7 just fine, you
                            can download the drivers for each from the ScannerMaster site.

                            You can use other USB-serial devices but this one is known to work
                            just great with all the current Uniden scanners.

                            --
                            Rich Carlson, N9JIG