396XT Bird

  • matthew
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I can't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going absolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my area, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?

      Matt
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
        Technically, not a birdie (internally generated signal). But, nevertheless, PCs are notoriously RF noisy, as are routers and many other computer peripherals. If it is a mixing product, you can try IFX which will shift the intermediate frequency and might eliminate the signal from the frequency. More likely it is direct reception of a signal generated by your computer. In that case, you can try attenuation on the channel. If that doesn't work, isolation is about all that is left. Keep the PC and scanner apart.

        ________________________________
        Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I can't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going absolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my area, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?

        Matt

      • Brian Smithson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
          Doesn't the -XT have a way to chnage the IF?

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
            In addition to what Paul said...

            A few things come to mind.

            1. Isolate the source. I friend's monitor drives my scanners crazy, but
            none of the 4 I have in the office do. Try shutting off the monitor to
            see if that is perhaps the source (and if it is, replace it).

            2. If it's coming from the PC, get one that is less noisy. I have 6 PCs
            running (and more in other rooms) and have few noise problems. I have
            had some PCs that were terrible with RF emissions.

            3. Try an external antenna. Basically what this does it that it gets the
            antenna away from the noise source. I would prefer to solve the problem
            rather than the symptom, but if replacement of the noise source is not
            an option, this may work. Get the antenna as far away from the source as
            possible.

            Joe M.

            matthew wrote:
            > Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I can't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going absolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my area, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?
            >

            > Matt

          • Clayton
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
              One more thing to try: Use the PL or DPL tone squelch. You can search for
              the tone/code if you don't know it, then hit "E" when it receives the
              correct one and it will store it. If the user/freq is reasonably strong, it
              may overcome the local interference and at least not hang on the freq. Most
              conventional freqs now are transmitting a PL or DPL, but there are still a
              few that aren't. Just something else to try.

              Clayton

              _____

              matthew wrote:
              > Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I
              can't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going
              absolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my
              area, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?

              > Matt

              12/29/09 02:47:00

            • SRehm24416@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
                I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the birdie on the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my area. However it doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it. With the PL programmed for that freq what I get is, what sounds like, two or more people transmitting at the same time on the repeater and it becomes pretty much unreadable.

                My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the whole scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix? It would kinda suck to fix one birdie but get another on another frequency that is already working OK.

                jeff

                From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                f MCH
                ent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:32 AM
                o: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                ubject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396XT Bird

                In addition to what Paul said...
                A few things come to mind.
                1. Isolate the source. I friend's monitor drives my scanners crazy, but
                one of the 4 I have in the office do. Try shutting off the monitor to
                ee if that is perhaps the source (and if it is, replace it).
                2. If it's coming from the PC, get one that is less noisy. I have 6 PCs
                unning (and more in other rooms) and have few noise problems. I have
                ad some PCs that were terrible with RF emissions.
                3. Try an external antenna. Basically what this does it that it gets the
                ntenna away from the noise source. I would prefer to solve the problem
                ather than the symptom, but if replacement of the noise source is not
                n option, this may work. Get the antenna as far away from the source as
                ossible.
                Joe M.
                matthew wrote:
                Hi, I've got a nasty bird on my 396XT that I'm trying to get rid of. I
                an't get my radio anywhere near a computer with out several channels going
                bsolutley crazy and I wind up locking out some of the main channels in my
                rea, is there any way to do this without getting rid of channels?

                Matt

                2/29/09 02:47:00

              • johnstark
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
                  just that frequency

                  > I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the birdie on
                  > the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my area. However it
                  > doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it. With the PL programmed
                  > for that freq what I get is, what sounds like, two or more people
                  > transmitting at the same time on the repeater and it becomes pretty much
                  > unreadable.
                  >
                  > My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the whole
                  > scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix? It would kinda suck
                  > to fix one birdie but get another on another frequency that is already
                  > working OK.
                  >
                  > jeff

                • Richard A. Victor
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 29, 2009
                    At 09:28 PM 12/29/2009, you wrote:

                    >I like the idea of using the PL DPL tones to help eliminate the
                    >birdie on the XT. I have even tried it on 155.250(210.7) here in my
                    >area. However it doesn't eliminate the birde, it kind of covers it.
                    >With the PL programmed for that freq what I get is, what sounds
                    >like, two or more people transmitting at the same time on the
                    >repeater and it becomes pretty much unreadable.

                    I would imagine that's because the interfering signal remains and
                    once the PL opens the squelch you still have the interference and the
                    desired signal together on that frequency. The PL would just keep it
                    from annoying you when there's no legitimate signal with the correct
                    PL on that frequency.

                    >My question here is, if I do the IF switch does it reset for the
                    >whole scanner or just the one frequency I am trying to fix?

                    You can do it one channel at a time. See page 18 of the complete reference.

                    Dick

                  • bigfella237
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
                      Is your monitor a CRT or a LCD (flat-screen)?

                      The old CRT monitors used to drive me crazy with RF but after upgrading to LCDs I can have multiple monitors with scanners sitting right beside them and no interference what so ever.

                      You can usually get around the CPU generated RF by moving it under your desk and away from the receivers, in other words, increase the vertical separation (same as the antennae in your mast).

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 30, 2009
                        All of mine are now flatscreen, but neither the current ones nor the old
                        ones had noise. My friend's is a flatscreen that produces a ton of noise
                        when you're within 10 feet of it.

                        Joe M.

                        bigfella237 wrote:
                        > Is your monitor a CRT or a LCD (flat-screen)?
                        >
                        > The old CRT monitors used to drive me crazy with RF but after upgrading to LCDs I can have multiple monitors with scanners sitting right beside them and no interference what so ever.
                        >
                        > You can usually get around the CPU generated RF by moving it under your desk and away from the receivers, in other words, increase the vertical separation (same as the antennae in your mast).

                        >> In addition to what Paul said...
                        >>
                        >> A few things come to mind.
                        >>
                        >> 1. Isolate the source. I friend's monitor drives my scanners crazy, but
                        >> none of the 4 I have in the office do. Try shutting off the monitor to
                        >> see if that is perhaps the source (and if it is, replace it).
                        >>
                        >> 2. If it's coming from the PC, get one that is less noisy. I have 6 PCs
                        >> running (and more in other rooms) and have few noise problems. I have
                        >> had some PCs that were terrible with RF emissions.
                        >>
                        >> 3. Try an external antenna. Basically what this does it that it gets the
                        >> antenna away from the noise source. I would prefer to solve the problem
                        >> rather than the symptom, but if replacement of the noise source is not
                        >> an option, this may work. Get the antenna as far away from the source as
                        >> possible.

                      • J Harrell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                          I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to use it with
                          my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not have a
                          serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone know
                          where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista cheap? I
                          have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and some come
                          with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as I may
                          only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                          suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?

                          Thanks,
                          Joey

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                            You should be able to find a USB to RS232
                            adapter on eBay for around $5 shipped.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                              Correction:
                              Less than $3 (shipped) from the USA or less than $2 from China.

                              <http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=usb+adapter+rs232>

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                                Otherwise pick one up at Best Buy. It will work with Vista and Windows 7
                                also.

                                MCH wrote:

                                > You should be able to find a USB to RS232
                                > adapter on eBay for around $5 shipped.
                                >
                                > Joe M.
                                >
                                > J Harrell wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to use
                                > it with
                                > > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
                                > have a
                                > > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone know
                                > > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
                                > cheap? I
                                > > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
                                > some come
                                > > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as I may
                                > > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                                > > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Joey

                              • Thomas A. Frank
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                                  Joey;

                                  I am using a Keyspan USA-19HS, with an HP netbook running Vista, ARC-
                                  XTpro, and my 396XT.

                                  That configuration works properly.

                                  I think I paid about $15 on eBay for the Keyspan module.

                                  Even if it is a few dollars more, you might want to spend a couple of
                                  extra dollars to get a module from a 'real' manufacturer, so that you
                                  continue to have driver support available in the future. You may
                                  find yourself switching to Win7 soon...or a new computer...or you may
                                  find other uses for the USB-serial capability. I've used this
                                  particular module for a while across several platforms (Win, Mac,
                                  Linux) for various things.

                                  Tom Frank, KA2CDK

                                  On Jan 1, 2010, at 10:31 AM, J Harrell wrote:

                                  > I have a question I just got a Uniden BCD396XT and would like to
                                  > use it with
                                  > my Laptop that has Windows Vista on it. However my laptop does not
                                  > have a
                                  > serial port on it and has plenty of USB ports however. Would anyone
                                  > know
                                  > where I might be able to get one that will work with Windows Vista
                                  > cheap? I
                                  > have been looking at the ones on ebay and they seem to look ok and
                                  > some come
                                  > with Vista drivers. I don't really want to spend over $15 on it as
                                  > I may
                                  > only use it once in a while on the go with my scanner and laptop. Any
                                  > suggestions or place to buy one of these and stay within budget?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Joey
                                • Rich Carlson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 1, 2010
                                    I would bite the bullet and spend the $20 or so for the USB-1 cable
                                    from ScannerMaster. It will work in XP, Vista and W7 just fine, you
                                    can download the drivers for each from the ScannerMaster site.

                                    You can use other USB-serial devices but this one is known to work
                                    just great with all the current Uniden scanners.

                                    --
                                    Rich Carlson, N9JIG