Garmin 18 PC Info

  • Frank Cardenas
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
      Hi Everyone, I just purchased a new Garmin 18 PC (serial) to do GPS with my
      996T. Just curious if anyone is using this model and what do I need to do
      to set it up for the scanner? The Garmin comes with a CD do I need to
      download the software to the GPS ? How do I set it up to work with the
      996? I'm using Vista on the laptop will this work? The paperwork says it
      is compatible with XP but doesn't say anything about Vista. Any help or
      advise would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Frank

    • dmccorm@charter.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
        Did you get the one that has external power input such as a cigar lighter?

        I just plug it in to the rear port of the 996 or 15, plug in the power connector and press the GPS function on the radio.

        The serial port should be set to the rear port at 4800 baud.

        If it's connected (or searching for satellites), you should see GPS direction/Time on the radio display.

      • dmccorm@charter.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
          It should look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-18x-GPS-Navigator-Unit/dp/B0016NYHVS/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_image_0

          ---- dmccorm@... wrote:
          > Did you get the one that has external power input such as a cigar lighter?
          >
          > I just plug it in to the rear port of the 996 or 15, plug in the power connector and press the GPS function on the radio.
          >
          > The serial port should be set to the rear port at 4800 baud.
          >
          > If it's connected (or searching for satellites), you should see GPS direction/Time on the radio display.
          >
          > ---- Frank Cardenas <fcsdga@...> wrote:
          > > Hi Everyone, I just purchased a new Garmin 18 PC (serial) to do GPS with my
          > > 996T. Just curious if anyone is using this model and what do I need to do
          > > to set it up for the scanner? The Garmin comes with a CD do I need to
          > > download the software to the GPS ? How do I set it up to work with the
          > > 996? I'm using Vista on the laptop will this work? The paperwork says it
          > > is compatible with XP but doesn't say anything about Vista. Any help or
          > > advise would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Frank

        • kc9mle tds.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
            Just curious, what does the GPS feature do, I'm trying to learn all I can
            about the 396XT

          • dmccorm@charter.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
              This will help: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Location_Based_Scanning

              ---- "kc9mle tds.net" <kc9mle@...> wrote:
              > Just curious, what does the GPS feature do, I'm trying to learn all I can
              > about the 396XT
              >
              > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM, <dmccorm@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Did you get the one that has external power input such as a cigar lighter?
              > >
              > > I just plug it in to the rear port of the 996 or 15, plug in the power
              > > connector and press the GPS function on the radio.
              > >
              > > The serial port should be set to the rear port at 4800 baud.
              > >
              > > If it's connected (or searching for satellites), you should see GPS
              > > direction/Time on the radio display.
              > >
              > > ---- Frank Cardenas <fcsdga@... <fcsdga%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > > > Hi Everyone, I just purchased a new Garmin 18 PC (serial) to do GPS with
              > > my
              > > > 996T. Just curious if anyone is using this model and what do I need to do
              > > > to set it up for the scanner? The Garmin comes with a CD do I need to
              > > > download the software to the GPS ? How do I set it up to work with the
              > > > 996? I'm using Vista on the laptop will this work? The paperwork says it
              > > > is compatible with XP but doesn't say anything about Vista. Any help or
              > > > advise would be greatly appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Frank

            • Frank Cardenas