[BCD396XT] unitrunker

  • Aaron Siller
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
      need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play

      Thanks

      Aaron Siller

      N5AMS

      Aldine,Tx

      http://www.twitter.com/n5ams

      http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
        Software or firmware? (software programs the scanner, and firmware is
        the operating system in the scanner)

        Joe M.

        Aaron Siller wrote:
        > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > Aaron Siller
        >
        > N5AMS
        >
        > Aldine,Tx
        >
        > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams
        >
        > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

      • Aaron Siller
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
          the software that monitors the cc data (Control Channel )

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
            The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits, stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.

            Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500 series that may help: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software

          • dmccorm@charter.net
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
              Incorrect link. Here is the Utah Radio link: http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.php/UniTrunker_Guide

              ---- dmccorm@... wrote:
              > The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits, stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.
              >
              > Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500 series that may help: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software
              >
              > ---- Aaron Siller <n5ams@...> wrote:
              > > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >

              > > Aaron Siller
              > >
              > > N5AMS
              > >
              > > Aldine,Tx
              > >
              > > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams
              > >
              > > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

            • Aaron Siller
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                Ok thanks for the help I just got the scanner for my Christmas and birthday from my dad and the main feature I wAnted was the disc tap

                Thanks,

                Aaron Siller
                N5AMS
                Aldine, TX

                Sent from my iPod

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                  I noticed the subject after I sent my original reply.
                  Regardless, Dave answered your question.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                    That should be inline not input.

                  • dmccorm@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Typo, thanks Jan.

                      ---- JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
                      > That should be inline not input.
                      >
                      > dmccorm@... wrote:
                      > >

                      > > The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the
                      > > Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press
                      > > HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with
                      > > the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio
                      > > setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to
                      > > the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits,
                      > > stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system
                      > > should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.
                      > >
                      > > Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500
                      > > series that may help:
                      > > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software
                      > > <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software>
                      > >
                      > > ---- Aaron Siller <n5ams@... <mailto:n5ams%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                      > > > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks
                      > > >

                      > > > Aaron Siller
                      > > >
                      > > > N5AMS
                      > > >
                      > > > Aldine,Tx
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams <http://www.twitter.com/n5ams>
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com <http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com>

                    • Aaron Siller
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                        It's ok I figured it was that and works great too

                        Thanks,

                        Aaron Siller
                        N5AMS
                        Aldine, TX

                        Sent from my iPod

                        On Dec 2, 2009, at 20:25, <dmccorm@...> wrote:

                        Typo, thanks Jan.

                      • Matt
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                          Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they simple to program.

                          Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...

                          Thanks
                        • Clark Rennie
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                            It's XT not XLT. None of newer full featured scanners are easy to program
                            when compared to the old
                            "Bank" concept but there is lots of software to ease the learning curve.
                            I use and prefer the BCD396XT but I know nothing about the PRO 106. As this
                            is a BCD396XT list, well, not sure if you'll receive too many comments on
                            the 106.

                            Clark

                            At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                            >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                            >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                            >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                            >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                            >simple to program.
                            >
                            >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                            >
                            >Thanks
                          • johnstark
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                              There is no BCD396XLT but there is the XT

                              > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                              > Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                              > able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                              > to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                              > simple to program.
                              >
                              > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                              >
                              > Thanks

                            • eph39
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done". There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT. If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly" because you know your scanner.

                                James

                              • shgee@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                  Hi Matt!

                                  Welcome to the group! The 396XT is a great scanner. I love mine and
                                  consider it the best scanner I have ever owned. As mentioned, it like
                                  all late generation scanners are not generally easy to program. I'd
                                  say that the good majority of owners of these scanners use software
                                  packages for programming their units. The group archives will yield a
                                  great amount of discussion on what is available. If you do get a
                                  396XT, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                    I have the GRE-PSR500 which is the same as one of the Radio Shack handhelds. I just can't remember which one. I also I have the Uniden BCD396XT.  I use the 396XT for my main listening and have the GRE scanner to scan local PD.  Since you are in a big city (San Diego), I'd definitely go with the 396XT since the interference rejection is significantly better than GRE/Radio Shack Digital Scanners.

                                    .

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                      Another excellent point. When attempting to program the Radio Shack Scanner I compared it with the feed which was online for Jacksonville FL and both scanners picked up the same unwanted interference on the same radio system and same talkgroups. The XT doesn't have the same problem.
                                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Miller <jafarm66@...> wrote:

                                      > I have the GRE-PSR500 which is the same as one of the Radio Shack handhelds. I just can't remember which one. I also I have the Uniden BCD396XT.  I use the 396XT for my main listening and have the GRE scanner to scan local PD.  Since you are in a big city (San Diego), I'd definitely go with the 396XT since the interference rejection is significantly better than GRE/Radio Shack Digital Scanners.
                                      >
                                      > .

                                    • John Sweetwhip
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                        Thanks for the information. I am interested in the BCD 396XT model. Now, they are able to pick up the San Diego County Sheriff, CHP, Cal Fire, and etc right. Also what is the different betweem splinter na normal and how would I know when to use this feature. Last question where can I pick up a current list of the frequencys. I know San Diego switch all of the ID and SDPD also getting ready to do s.

                                        Thank

                                        sdboy202@...

                                        At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                        >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                        >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                        >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                        >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                        >simple to program.
                                        >
                                        >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                        >
                                        >Thanks

                                      • Clark Rennie
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                          I agree with James opinion of programming some RS (GRE) scanners. I did
                                          have a PSR 500 and sold it.
                                          Even though I was able to use software to program it. I found it somewhat
                                          difficult to use.
                                          No doubt the PRO 106 is cheaper (now at Radio Shack for $379.99).

                                          http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml will soon have an easier to read (per
                                          his site) manual.
                                          I really don't care for the Wiki format for manuals (as Uniden now has adopted)
                                          The BCD396T is very similar to the XT and that manual is available to
                                          download at Unidens site.

                                          Also, go the files section of this group and download this file:
                                          <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cBIxTLfwEVTZ7xYWIVoVbiRiHwdDNjM5jqizmNlaPH6TZqtmD1lgTnycmLAudV5PC-U14wo_OkQjHyqsQ1juDnNoPMkNvsPFMLWI/Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf>Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf

                                          Clark
                                          At 11:09 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                          >Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by
                                          >hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I
                                          >have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio
                                          >Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done".
                                          >There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find
                                          >lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you
                                          >opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I
                                          >don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT.
                                          >If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will
                                          >assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to
                                          >program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly"
                                          >because you know your scanner.
                                          >
                                          >James
                                          >
                                          >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <sdboy202@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the
                                          > pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City
                                          > which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am
                                          > not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me.
                                          > Also are they simple to program.
                                          > >
                                          > > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks
                                        • johnstark
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                            Programming scanners is only as hard as you make it. It's really not that
                                            difficult but too many people over think things and make it harder. I don't
                                            think there has been a Uniden or GRE scanner including Radio Shack versions
                                            I haven't programmed, and everyone I have learned the programming by
                                            programming them manually. The first thing is READ the manual, not once but
                                            two or three times while waiting for the scanner to arrive. There are
                                            manuals online available for download. That way you know what your getting
                                            into. Once you open it and turn it on program a conventional system and then
                                            a trunked system by hand before doing anything with software....you probably
                                            won't have software if your on the road so learn to program manually FIRST!
                                            And don't over think things as you do it, don't get frustrated, just back up
                                            and start again if you make a mistake and follow the manuals instructions.
                                            It gets me how many think the manuals are too difficult to understand.....
                                            when in fact they are easy IF you read them.

                                            >I agree with James opinion of programming some RS (GRE) scanners. I did
                                            > have a PSR 500 and sold it.
                                            > Even though I was able to use software to program it. I found it somewhat
                                            > difficult to use.
                                            > No doubt the PRO 106 is cheaper (now at Radio Shack for $379.99).
                                            >
                                            > http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml will soon have an easier to read (per
                                            > his site) manual.
                                            > I really don't care for the Wiki format for manuals (as Uniden now has
                                            > adopted)
                                            > The BCD396T is very similar to the XT and that manual is available to
                                            > download at Unidens site.
                                            >
                                            > Also, go the files section of this group and download this file:
                                            > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cBIxTLfwEVTZ7xYWIVoVbiRiHwdDNjM5jqizmNlaPH6TZqtmD1lgTnycmLAudV5PC-U14wo_OkQjHyqsQ1juDnNoPMkNvsPFMLWI/Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf>Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf
                                            >

                                            > Clark
                                            > At 11:09 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:
                                            >
                                            >>Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by
                                            >>hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I
                                            >>have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio
                                            >>Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done".
                                            >>There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find
                                            >>lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you
                                            >>opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I
                                            >>don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT.
                                            >>If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will
                                            >>assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to
                                            >>program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly"
                                            >>because you know your scanner.
                                            >>
                                            >>James
                                            >>
                                            >>--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <sdboy202@...> wrote:
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the
                                            >> pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City
                                            >> which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am
                                            >> not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me.
                                            >> Also are they simple to program.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Thanks

                                          • Clark Rennie
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                              One other thing to consider, while the PRO106 might appear to be much
                                              cheaper, the price doesn't include a programming cable or a power adapter
                                              (which are not cheap) as the Uniden scanners do.

                                              Clark

                                              At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                              >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                              >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                              >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                              >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                              >simple to program.
                                              >
                                              >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                              >
                                              >Thanks
                                            • John Sweetwhip
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                I found out this afternoon. I have decided on the BCD 396 XLT, is the price reasonable?

                                                Thank

                                                At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                                >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                                >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                                >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                                >simple to program.
                                                >
                                                >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                                >
                                                >Thanks

                                              • Jeff Miller
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                  I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure what other stores are charging at this time.

                                                  Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:

                                                  www.grove-ent.com
                                                  www.scannermaster.com
                                                  www.universal-radio.com

                                                  At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                  >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.

                                                  >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am

                                                  >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able

                                                  >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they

                                                  >simple to program.

                                                  >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...

                                                  >Thanks

                                                • eph39
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                    In regards to frequencies probably the best resource I am aware of is Radio Reference Database. When you have the scanner in-hand I would be willing to assist you in the programming process. Just contact me via email. However, it would be accomplished quicker over the phone.

                                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Miller <jafarm66@...> wrote:

                                                    > I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure what other stores are charging at this time.
                                                    >
                                                    > Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:
                                                    >
                                                    > www.grove-ent.com
                                                    > www.scannermaster.com
                                                    > www.universal-radio.com

                                                  • Richard Victor
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                      RadioReference.com should have the latest frequency information and that
                                                      information will tell you if a particular system is a splinter system.

                                                      On 7/4/2010 5:21 PM, John Sweetwhip wrote:
                                                      > Thanks for the information. I am interested in the BCD 396XT model. Now, they are able to pick up the San Diego County Sheriff, CHP, Cal Fire, and etc right. Also what is the different betweem splinter na normal and how would I know when to use this feature. Last question where can I pick up a current list of the frequencys. I know San Diego switch all of the ID and SDPD also getting ready to do s.
                                                      >
                                                      > Thank
                                                      >
                                                      > sdboy202@...

                                                    • Clark Rennie
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                        usascan.com has them for $499.95 which is delivered price (includes S & H).

                                                        Clark

                                                        At 06:31 PM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                        >I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure
                                                        >what other stores are charging at this time.
                                                        >
                                                        >Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:
                                                        >
                                                        >www.grove-ent.com
                                                        >www.scannermaster.com
                                                        >www.universal-radio.com

                                                      • John Sweetwhip