Newbie here

  • bigkevj
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hello everyone. Just joined group and just got my BCD396XT last Wednesday. A little background...I have been using Scanners for the last 15 years or so, but very simple ones. I want to cover some frequency ranges my others can't (mainly for storm chasing - I have never had a scanner/2 way radio with me on chases in the past). Of course this new one is a little more advanced than I can handle right now but I figured why buy a cheap one then buy this one two years down the road.

      That said, I have it programmed and are listening to local emergency, some local businesses, etc. What are some of the features I need to learn to use that are cool? The owners manual might as well be written in Japanese, so I am learning slow and by myself for the most part so I want to take advantage of the cool features that I would get a lot of use out of right away.

      Thanks,
      Kevin
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
        Close Call is one you will likely find very useful.

        I imagine SAME is another one you will find very useful.

        Good decision to go 'all the way' with the XT. It should serve most
        areas of the USA for many years to come.

        Joe M.

        bigkevj wrote:
        > Hello everyone. Just joined group and just got my BCD396XT last Wednesday. A little background...I have been using Scanners for the last 15 years or so, but very simple ones. I want to cover some frequency ranges my others can't (mainly for storm chasing - I have never had a scanner/2 way radio with me on chases in the past). Of course this new one is a little more advanced than I can handle right now but I figured why buy a cheap one then buy this one two years down the road.
        >
        > That said, I have it programmed and are listening to local emergency, some local businesses, etc. What are some of the features I need to learn to use that are cool? The owners manual might as well be written in Japanese, so I am learning slow and by myself for the most part so I want to take advantage of the cool features that I would get a lot of use out of right away.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin

      • Aaron Siller
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
          need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play

          Thanks

          Aaron Siller

          N5AMS

          Aldine,Tx

          http://www.twitter.com/n5ams

          http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
            Software or firmware? (software programs the scanner, and firmware is
            the operating system in the scanner)

            Joe M.

            Aaron Siller wrote:
            > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
            >
            > Thanks
            >

            > Aaron Siller
            >
            > N5AMS
            >
            > Aldine,Tx
            >
            > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams
            >
            > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

          • Aaron Siller
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
              the software that monitors the cc data (Control Channel )

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits, stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.

                Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500 series that may help: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software

              • dmccorm@charter.net
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Incorrect link. Here is the Utah Radio link: http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.php/UniTrunker_Guide

                  ---- dmccorm@... wrote:
                  > The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits, stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.
                  >
                  > Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500 series that may help: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software
                  >
                  > ---- Aaron Siller <n5ams@...> wrote:
                  > > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >

                  > > Aaron Siller
                  > >
                  > > N5AMS
                  > >
                  > > Aldine,Tx
                  > >
                  > > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams
                  > >
                  > > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com

                • Aaron Siller
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Ok thanks for the help I just got the scanner for my Christmas and birthday from my dad and the main feature I wAnted was the disc tap

                    Thanks,

                    Aaron Siller
                    N5AMS
                    Aldine, TX

                    Sent from my iPod

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                      I noticed the subject after I sent my original reply.
                      Regardless, Dave answered your question.

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                        That should be inline not input.

                      • dmccorm@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                          Typo, thanks Jan.

                          ---- JAN FINE <jan_fine@...> wrote:
                          > That should be inline not input.
                          >
                          > dmccorm@... wrote:
                          > >

                          > > The trunked system needs to be programmed into a System. Enable the
                          > > Control Channel Output (Extended is not needed) in the Settings. Press
                          > > HOLD on the system, the control channel should be displayed along with
                          > > the SysID on the radio, run UniTrunker using the BCD396XT radio
                          > > setting, set the data source to input and signal, set the com port to
                          > > the correct one, as well as the port attributes (baud rate, Data bits,
                          > > stop bits, parity), set the radio run to running. The trunked system
                          > > should start displaying data in UniTrunker automatically.
                          > >
                          > > Here is a helpful tutorial from Utah radio covering the GRE PSR500
                          > > series that may help:
                          > > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software
                          > > <http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software>
                          > >
                          > > ---- Aaron Siller <n5ams@... <mailto:n5ams%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                          > > > need help with the software part cause obviously its not plug and play
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks
                          > > >

                          > > > Aaron Siller
                          > > >
                          > > > N5AMS
                          > > >
                          > > > Aldine,Tx
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.twitter.com/n5ams <http://www.twitter.com/n5ams>
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com <http://www.n5amsaudio.blogpost.com>

                        • Aaron Siller
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
                            It's ok I figured it was that and works great too

                            Thanks,

                            Aaron Siller
                            N5AMS
                            Aldine, TX

                            Sent from my iPod

                            On Dec 2, 2009, at 20:25, <dmccorm@...> wrote:

                            Typo, thanks Jan.

                          • Matt
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                              Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they simple to program.

                              Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...

                              Thanks
                            • Clark Rennie
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                It's XT not XLT. None of newer full featured scanners are easy to program
                                when compared to the old
                                "Bank" concept but there is lots of software to ease the learning curve.
                                I use and prefer the BCD396XT but I know nothing about the PRO 106. As this
                                is a BCD396XT list, well, not sure if you'll receive too many comments on
                                the 106.

                                Clark

                                At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                >simple to program.
                                >
                                >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                >
                                >Thanks
                              • johnstark
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                  There is no BCD396XLT but there is the XT

                                  > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                  > Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                  > able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                  > to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                  > simple to program.
                                  >
                                  > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                  >
                                  > Thanks

                                • eph39
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                    Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done". There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT. If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly" because you know your scanner.

                                    James

                                  • shgee@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                      Hi Matt!

                                      Welcome to the group! The 396XT is a great scanner. I love mine and
                                      consider it the best scanner I have ever owned. As mentioned, it like
                                      all late generation scanners are not generally easy to program. I'd
                                      say that the good majority of owners of these scanners use software
                                      packages for programming their units. The group archives will yield a
                                      great amount of discussion on what is available. If you do get a
                                      396XT, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

                                      Scott

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                        I have the GRE-PSR500 which is the same as one of the Radio Shack handhelds. I just can't remember which one. I also I have the Uniden BCD396XT.  I use the 396XT for my main listening and have the GRE scanner to scan local PD.  Since you are in a big city (San Diego), I'd definitely go with the 396XT since the interference rejection is significantly better than GRE/Radio Shack Digital Scanners.

                                        .

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                          Another excellent point. When attempting to program the Radio Shack Scanner I compared it with the feed which was online for Jacksonville FL and both scanners picked up the same unwanted interference on the same radio system and same talkgroups. The XT doesn't have the same problem.
                                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Miller <jafarm66@...> wrote:

                                          > I have the GRE-PSR500 which is the same as one of the Radio Shack handhelds. I just can't remember which one. I also I have the Uniden BCD396XT.  I use the 396XT for my main listening and have the GRE scanner to scan local PD.  Since you are in a big city (San Diego), I'd definitely go with the 396XT since the interference rejection is significantly better than GRE/Radio Shack Digital Scanners.
                                          >
                                          > .

                                        • John Sweetwhip
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                            Thanks for the information. I am interested in the BCD 396XT model. Now, they are able to pick up the San Diego County Sheriff, CHP, Cal Fire, and etc right. Also what is the different betweem splinter na normal and how would I know when to use this feature. Last question where can I pick up a current list of the frequencys. I know San Diego switch all of the ID and SDPD also getting ready to do s.

                                            Thank

                                            sdboy202@...

                                            At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                            >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                            >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                            >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                            >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                            >simple to program.
                                            >
                                            >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                            >
                                            >Thanks

                                          • Clark Rennie
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                              I agree with James opinion of programming some RS (GRE) scanners. I did
                                              have a PSR 500 and sold it.
                                              Even though I was able to use software to program it. I found it somewhat
                                              difficult to use.
                                              No doubt the PRO 106 is cheaper (now at Radio Shack for $379.99).

                                              http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml will soon have an easier to read (per
                                              his site) manual.
                                              I really don't care for the Wiki format for manuals (as Uniden now has adopted)
                                              The BCD396T is very similar to the XT and that manual is available to
                                              download at Unidens site.

                                              Also, go the files section of this group and download this file:
                                              <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cBIxTLfwEVTZ7xYWIVoVbiRiHwdDNjM5jqizmNlaPH6TZqtmD1lgTnycmLAudV5PC-U14wo_OkQjHyqsQ1juDnNoPMkNvsPFMLWI/Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf>Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf

                                              Clark
                                              At 11:09 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                              >Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by
                                              >hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I
                                              >have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio
                                              >Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done".
                                              >There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find
                                              >lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you
                                              >opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I
                                              >don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT.
                                              >If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will
                                              >assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to
                                              >program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly"
                                              >because you know your scanner.
                                              >
                                              >James
                                              >
                                              >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <sdboy202@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the
                                              > pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City
                                              > which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am
                                              > not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me.
                                              > Also are they simple to program.
                                              > >
                                              > > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks
                                            • johnstark
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                Programming scanners is only as hard as you make it. It's really not that
                                                difficult but too many people over think things and make it harder. I don't
                                                think there has been a Uniden or GRE scanner including Radio Shack versions
                                                I haven't programmed, and everyone I have learned the programming by
                                                programming them manually. The first thing is READ the manual, not once but
                                                two or three times while waiting for the scanner to arrive. There are
                                                manuals online available for download. That way you know what your getting
                                                into. Once you open it and turn it on program a conventional system and then
                                                a trunked system by hand before doing anything with software....you probably
                                                won't have software if your on the road so learn to program manually FIRST!
                                                And don't over think things as you do it, don't get frustrated, just back up
                                                and start again if you make a mistake and follow the manuals instructions.
                                                It gets me how many think the manuals are too difficult to understand.....
                                                when in fact they are easy IF you read them.

                                                >I agree with James opinion of programming some RS (GRE) scanners. I did
                                                > have a PSR 500 and sold it.
                                                > Even though I was able to use software to program it. I found it somewhat
                                                > difficult to use.
                                                > No doubt the PRO 106 is cheaper (now at Radio Shack for $379.99).
                                                >
                                                > http://marksscanners.com/index.shtml will soon have an easier to read (per
                                                > his site) manual.
                                                > I really don't care for the Wiki format for manuals (as Uniden now has
                                                > adopted)
                                                > The BCD396T is very similar to the XT and that manual is available to
                                                > download at Unidens site.
                                                >
                                                > Also, go the files section of this group and download this file:
                                                > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cBIxTLfwEVTZ7xYWIVoVbiRiHwdDNjM5jqizmNlaPH6TZqtmD1lgTnycmLAudV5PC-U14wo_OkQjHyqsQ1juDnNoPMkNvsPFMLWI/Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf>Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf
                                                >

                                                > Clark
                                                > At 11:09 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:
                                                >
                                                >>Please allow me to digress. I personally own a 396XT which I programmed by
                                                >>hand and have programmed two 396Ts also by hand for pay. Additionally, I
                                                >>have made what I deem a valiant effort at programming a Digital Radio
                                                >>Shack scanner I believe was the Pro-96. I was never able to "get er done".
                                                >>There seems to be something more intuitive about the 396 which I find
                                                >>lacking in the RS scanner. Others feel differently and that's OK. If you
                                                >>opt for the XT you will discover a user guide CD disc not a manual which I
                                                >>don't like. The other comes with a book. Nevertheless, I recommend the XT.
                                                >>If you buy the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and I will
                                                >>assist you in the programming process. I highly recommend you learn to
                                                >>program your scanner by hand. This way you can do stuff "on the fly"
                                                >>because you know your scanner.
                                                >>
                                                >>James
                                                >>
                                                >>--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <sdboy202@...> wrote:
                                                >> >
                                                >> > Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the
                                                >> pro106. Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City
                                                >> which I am able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am
                                                >> not able to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me.
                                                >> Also are they simple to program.
                                                >> >
                                                >> > Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                                >> >
                                                >> > Thanks

                                              • Clark Rennie
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                  One other thing to consider, while the PRO106 might appear to be much
                                                  cheaper, the price doesn't include a programming cable or a power adapter
                                                  (which are not cheap) as the Uniden scanners do.

                                                  Clark

                                                  At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                  >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                                  >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                                  >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                                  >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                                  >simple to program.
                                                  >
                                                  >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                                  >
                                                  >Thanks
                                                • John Sweetwhip
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                    I found out this afternoon. I have decided on the BCD 396 XLT, is the price reasonable?

                                                    Thank

                                                    At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                    >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.
                                                    >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am
                                                    >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able
                                                    >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they
                                                    >simple to program.
                                                    >
                                                    >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...
                                                    >
                                                    >Thanks

                                                  • Jeff Miller
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                      I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure what other stores are charging at this time.

                                                      Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:

                                                      www.grove-ent.com
                                                      www.scannermaster.com
                                                      www.universal-radio.com

                                                      At 09:44 AM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                      >Thank you. I am interested in a BCD 396XLT scanner as well as the pro106.

                                                      >Not sure which is the best model. I'm located in San Diego City which I am

                                                      >able to listen to SDPD no problem. But the other agencies I am not able

                                                      >to. So I would like a good scanner that will do this for me. Also are they

                                                      >simple to program.

                                                      >Please feel free to email me at sdboy202@...

                                                      >Thanks

                                                    • eph39
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                        In regards to frequencies probably the best resource I am aware of is Radio Reference Database. When you have the scanner in-hand I would be willing to assist you in the programming process. Just contact me via email. However, it would be accomplished quicker over the phone.

                                                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Miller <jafarm66@...> wrote:

                                                        > I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure what other stores are charging at this time.
                                                        >
                                                        > Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:
                                                        >
                                                        > www.grove-ent.com
                                                        > www.scannermaster.com
                                                        > www.universal-radio.com

                                                      • Richard Victor
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                          RadioReference.com should have the latest frequency information and that
                                                          information will tell you if a particular system is a splinter system.

                                                          On 7/4/2010 5:21 PM, John Sweetwhip wrote:
                                                          > Thanks for the information. I am interested in the BCD 396XT model. Now, they are able to pick up the San Diego County Sheriff, CHP, Cal Fire, and etc right. Also what is the different betweem splinter na normal and how would I know when to use this feature. Last question where can I pick up a current list of the frequencys. I know San Diego switch all of the ID and SDPD also getting ready to do s.
                                                          >
                                                          > Thank
                                                          >
                                                          > sdboy202@...

                                                        • Clark Rennie
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 4, 2010
                                                            usascan.com has them for $499.95 which is delivered price (includes S & H).

                                                            Clark

                                                            At 06:31 PM 7/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                            >I've seen it for 495.00 at ScannerMaster which is a good price. Not sure
                                                            >what other stores are charging at this time.
                                                            >
                                                            >Here are 3 very good online stores for scanners:
                                                            >
                                                            >www.grove-ent.com
                                                            >www.scannermaster.com
                                                            >www.universal-radio.com

                                                          • John Sweetwhip