P25 PII

  • drsm0ke00
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2009
      Maybe Paul from Uniden,
      Who reads this list will set the record straight
      on the ability of the XT scanners to be upgraded P25PhII.
      if and when it does happen.

      I just cannot think that the $$$ we folks spend on the latest scanner goods here, that these will be obolete at the push of some newer firmware by the 2way folks at some later date in time.

      I would think the marketing gurus at Uniden have already thought of this senario already.

      Paul can you chime in here on this big question,
      Are our current model XT scanners able to do the P25 Phase II,
      if and when it deploys, with a flash upgrade?

      Many Thanks in Advance

      Bob Brown
      AKA: DrSm0ke
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 29, 2009
        As there are no such systems, this isn't something Uniden can speculate on.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 29, 2009
          And maybe whilst Paul is at it whilst I know he is in the U.S. he can tell us forgotten people down here in the country down under and forgotten about ( Aust ) by Uniden if we are going to see the XT here in Australia any time soon.

          Our current stock of Digital scanners is being run out and there is NO talk of any replacement at this stage if it goes the way it is heading Australia will have NO scanners available to the general public inside 12 months.

          Wouldn't the government love that :-(

          Regards
          Mav.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
            Actually, we have one that has been in testing phase for a couple months
            now, and is scheduled to go fully online next week. Prince George's Co,
            Maryland wlll be going from a conventional 490s system to a 700 MHz P25
            TDMA/FDMA system. Here's the PG P25 RR link:
            http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6341

            And here's RR thread where we've been talking about it and preparing for it:
            http://forums.radioreference.com/maryland-radio-discussion-forum/156820-pg-c
            ountys-p25-system.html

            I'm ready to beta test...

            Dewey

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
              Thanks Paul

              bob

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

              > As there are no such systems, this isn't something Uniden can speculate on.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Frank Cardenas
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
                Bob, That is how the 2 way folks make money, continually bringing out new
                technology. Of course, they are going to push everyone to buy the latest
                and greatest. Just like folks that have to have the latest Iphone or
                Blackberry for cellphone use. I don't think Uniden has much control of this
                as they have to work with the technology that is used in the marketplace. I
                would think they would have to wait until the new technology is certified to
                determine if there could be an upgrade or if a completely new scanner is
                required. The main thing is that hopefully the new technology will be able
                to be scanned. I guess we are all in the same boat and will just have to
                wait and see what develops.

                Frank

              • shelleysh1@att.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
                  Hi Dewey,
                  Looks as though your Prince George CO, MD P25 TDMA/FDMA System is getting off to a good start! Even a schedule now in place to begin the changeover starting this month - Wow!

                  I hope you give us updates as to how much you're able to monitor and I'll be especially interested in how well the system is working. Here in St. Louis County, and surrounding counties, there will be new radio systems going in over the next few years. I have little doubt it will be based on this technology. Thus I'm interested in how well it's working up there!

                  Shell

                  Oh, and P.S. Will adjoining counties and agencies be able to communicate with Prince George County once the new system is fully operational?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
                    Only if they have Phase II capable radios (and correctly programmed).
                    Most likely they will not.

                    Joe M.

                  • dmccorm@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
                      I've also been reading that this system is proprietary for now, meaning that no scanner will be able to track it on the TDMA side as it is currently configured. Not to mention this is only system of it's type, that will eventually be converted to the completed phase II standard sometime in the future.

                      TDMA is an interesting concept for truniking:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_division_multiple_access

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
                        Yes on the no answer from the radio standpoint, but can't patches be set up
                        at the console?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
                          True, but patches can even be made to CB channels from a technical
                          standpoint, so I never count patches as a valid answer to "Can A
                          communicate with B" questions. Patches can link anything.

                          Joe M.