Project 25 Phase II

  • kayi4cle
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
      Would anyone please venture a guess as to whether the BCD396XT will be able to monitor a Project 25 system when Phase II occurs? Thanks.
    • David Nordmann
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
        What is Phase II?

        --
        David Joseph Nordmann

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
          Unlikely, but not completely impossible.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
            The next version of P25. It will use TDMA to allow for multiple users on
            the same frequency.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
              Thanks Joe for your input on this. I am concerned because our local PD and FD will be moving to the P25 system as part of Phase II by 2013.

              I haven't been able to find out much regarding how it will affect the current crop of receivers, or whether an update for them might be possible. All I found was a mere mention of Phase II in the Radio Reference Wiki:
              http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Project_25

              I maybe should wait a little longer before shopping for my next toy. Darn!!

              > Unlikely, but not completely impossible.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > kayi4cle wrote:
              > > Would anyone please venture a guess as to whether the BCD396XT will be able to monitor a Project 25 system when Phase II occurs? Thanks.

            • Mr. L. Harris
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                i agree what is phase II

                i hope not ANOTHER 500 dollar scanner

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                  answered my own question on wikipedia here it is for all to see from wiki

                  P25 Phases
                  P25-compliant technology is being deployed in several phases:

                  Phase 1
                  Phase 1 radio systems operate in 12.5 kHz analog, digital or mixed mode. Phase 1 radios use Continuous 4 level FM (C4FM) modulation for digital transmissions at 4800 baud and 2 bits per symbol, yielding 9600 bits per second total channel throughput. Receivers designed for the C4FM standard can also demodulate the "Compatible quadrature phase shift keying" (CQPSK) standard, as the parameters of the CQPSK signal were chosen to yield the same signal deviation at symbol time as C4FM while using only 6.25 kHz of bandwidth.

                  A hand-held Project 25 radio used in US systems.
                  Vendors are currently shipping Phase 1 P25-compliant systems. These systems involve standardized service and facility specifications, ensuring that any manufacturers' compliant subscriber radio has access to the services described in such specifications. Abilities include backward compatibility and interoperability with other systems, across system boundaries, and regardless of system infrastructure. In addition, the P25 suite of standards provides an open interface to the radio frequency (RF) subsystem to facilitate interlinking of different vendors' systems.

                  Phase 2
                  To improve spectrum utilization, Phase 2 is currently under development with concurrent work being done on 2-slot TDMA and FDMA (CQPSK) modulation schemes. Phase II will use the AMBE vocoder to reduce the needed bitrate so that one channel will only require 4800 bits per second.
                  Significant attention is also paid to interoperability with legacy equipment, interfacing between repeaters and other subsystems, roaming capacity and spectral efficiency/channel reuse. In addition, Phase 2 work involves console interfacing between repeaters and other subsystems, and man-machine interfaces for console operators that would facilitate centralized training, equipment transitions and personnel movement.

                   Sometimes my life IS a jerry springer show!!
                  L.H. Of Gladstone

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                    Well, the WIKI is wrong. P25 does not come in analog or mixed flavors.
                    It is 9600 digital only. There is no such thing as an analog P25 signal.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                      wow an other wrench in the werx (lol)

                      Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                      > answered my own question on wikipedia here it is for all to see from wiki
                      >
                      > P25 Phases
                      > P25-compliant technology is being deployed in several phases:
                      >
                      > Phase 1
                      > Phase 1 radio systems operate in 12.5 kHz analog, digital or mixed mode. Phase 1 radios use Continuous 4 level FM (C4FM) modulation for digital transmissions at 4800 baud and 2 bits per symbol, yielding 9600 bits per second total channel throughput. Receivers designed for the C4FM standard can also demodulate the "Compatible quadrature phase shift keying" (CQPSK) standard, as the parameters of the CQPSK signal were chosen to yield the same signal deviation at symbol time as C4FM while using only 6.25 kHz of bandwidth.
                      >

                      > A hand-held Project 25 radio used in US systems.
                      > Vendors are currently shipping Phase 1 P25-compliant systems. These systems involve standardized service and facility specifications, ensuring that any manufacturers' compliant subscriber radio has access to the services described in such specifications. Abilities include backward compatibility and interoperability with other systems, across system boundaries, and regardless of system infrastructure. In addition, the P25 suite of standards provides an open interface to the radio frequency (RF) subsystem to facilitate interlinking of different vendors' systems.
                      >
                      > Phase 2
                      > To improve spectrum utilization, Phase 2 is currently under development with concurrent work being done on 2-slot TDMA and FDMA (CQPSK) modulation schemes. Phase II will use the AMBE vocoder to reduce the needed bitrate so that one channel will only require 4800 bits per second.
                      > Significant attention is also paid to interoperability with legacy equipment, interfacing between repeaters and other subsystems, roaming capacity and spectral efficiency/channel reuse. In addition, Phase 2 work involves console interfacing between repeaters and other subsystems, and man-machine interfaces for console operators that would facilitate centralized training, equipment transitions and personnel movement.
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
                      > Sometimes my life IS a jerry springer show!!
                      > L.H. Of Gladstone

                    • Clayton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                        What it is saying, as a part of the spec, is that a P25 radio will receive
                        and transmit digital or analog. Also they will do mixed mode, so it can be
                        programmed to receive digital and analog on the same channel. This makes a
                        P25 radio "interoperable" with "legacy" analog systems.

                        Clayton

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                          Understood, but it's poorly worded since it says Phase I is analog. It
                          should be saying that Phase I is digital but allows for radios to use
                          analog non-P25 channels. It also doesn't say that it allows for
                          operation on 16 kHz analog channels, which most legacy systems are.

                          It's no wonder with info like that people are mis-programming systems as
                          P25 when they are not. The WIKI implies that they are P25 systems.

                          Joe M.

                        • Mr. L. Harris
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 28, 2009
                            geeesh  please say this isnt so!! i dont have another 500 bucks to spend for another radio

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 28, 2009
                              TDMA isnt that the same as cell?

                              David Nordmann wrote:
                              > What is Phase II?
                              >
                              > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM, kayi4cle <kayi4cle@comcast. net> wrote:
                              >

                              >> Would anyone please venture a guess as to whether the BCD396XT will be able
                              >> to monitor a Project 25 system when Phase II occurs? Thanks.

                            • Jason W. Watts
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 28, 2009
                                GSM cell phones, yes. CDMA cell phones, no.

                                Jason W. Watts

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 28, 2009
                                  I think this only involves P25 systems, and hopefully it won't affect you or very many others anytime soon. Unfortunately, the system I care most about is P25 (with Phase II coming in a couple years). Since my next radio will be a Uniden handheld, it would help me to know what's in store for those in my boat (whether an upgrade to the current model is possible, or if a future model is planned).

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                    Actually, it won't be another $500, as your XT should be worth at least
                                    $400 when they come out and I would expect the new model that does Phase
                                    II (assuming it won't be possible in the XT) to be around the $500 mark.

                                    So, it will be approximately a $100 upgrade - less if you can get more
                                    for your XT.

                                    Keep in mind that many systems will likely stay with the existing P25
                                    format, so it's not as if all P25 systems will be upgraded - just as not
                                    all analog systems upgraded to P25.

                                    Joe M.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                      well your right i guess, as i sold my T on ebay to get the xt and it was about a hundred dollar upgrade

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                        This makes perfectly good sense. Thanks very much for the positive and realistic perspective!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                          Another perspective:

                                          For those saying their systems will be upgrading to Phase II: This could
                                          be a good thing for the XT scanners if it's that easy. If the radios can
                                          be upgraded via firmware, there is a good change the XT scanners can be,
                                          too.

                                          Conversely, if the XT scanners will require different hardware, it is
                                          likely that the existing radios would as well, which means it's much
                                          less likely a system will convert to Phase II (hence less likely to need
                                          another scanner).

                                          Joe M.

                                          kayi4cle wrote:
                                          > This makes perfectly good sense. Thanks very much for the positive and realistic perspective!

                                          >> Actually, it won't be another $500, as your XT should be worth at least
                                          >> $400 when they come out and I would expect the new model that does Phase
                                          >> II (assuming it won't be possible in the XT) to be around the $500 mark.
                                          >>
                                          >> So, it will be approximately a $100 upgrade - less if you can get more
                                          >> for your XT.
                                          >>
                                          >> Keep in mind that many systems will likely stay with the existing P25
                                          >> format, so it's not as if all P25 systems will be upgraded - just as not
                                          >> all analog systems upgraded to P25.

                                        • john bucki
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                            Thanks for clearing this up 500 bucks is alot this day and time

                                            john

                                            To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mch@...
                                            Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:34:42 -0500
                                            Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Project 25 Phase II

                                          • KB0KGH@mchsi.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                              This is a good explanation. I know that Johnson County, Iowa is purchasing a P25IP system from Harris that can easily be upgraded to Phase II.

                                              If this is the case as Joe has already mentioned, then it likely is as simple as a firmware upgrade.

                                              I highly doubt Johnson County (Iowa City is the largest city, home of the University of Iowa) would buy a system and then shell out millions more later to upgrade.

                                              They would have waited and purchased a Phase II system.

                                              Jason W. Watts
                                              Ottumwa, Iowa
                                              Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�