Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 20, 2009
      Threaded...

      Peter Elke wrote:
      > My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an area with a P25
      > simulcast system.
      >
      > I have been traveling around the country and testing the BCD396T in
      > states where they are common. In my testing I compare the 396 (with
      > firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro Saber (Mot Type II Digital)
      > or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is that the the 396 works
      > very well on single transmitter sites and is almost unusable in
      > simulcast areas.

      That's odd. It works fine on my local P25 simulcast system.

      > My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Denver, Orange
      > County, San Diego.
      >
      > It is amazing how the Motorola radios never hiccup and the 396 stops
      > decoding even after playing with the "hold key" adjustments.

      Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are you using? Although
      my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that upgrades to the
      firmware could have made a difference on the systems you mentioned.

      What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS portable
      and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when the user
      radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the same.

      > I am confident that if the development team lived near one of these
      > sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how to
      > mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.
      >
      > If they get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop
      > lugging single band portables around with me on planes.

      Again, maybe the answer is that it's already been done and you simply
      haven't bothered to install the upgrades. You've described doing things
      that you cannot do with the latest firmware.

      Joe M.
    • Jason W. Watts, KB0KGH
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
        The 396 works fine on the Cedar Rapids Motorola Type II 3600 Digital TRS that I use the 396 for. And it is a 2 site simulcast system. Now and then it does have a hiccup, but it is very much usable.

        I have barely tested it on a P25 Standard 9600 baud system. I was in the Quad Cities on the Illinois side and it sounded garbled. I was on the move in the vehicle, and couldn't really play around with settings much. Also, it was STARCOM 21. I've heard of some problems with the system itself.

        Jason Watts
        Cedar Rapids, IA
        -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

        Threaded...

        Peter Elke wrote:
        > My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an area with a P25
        > simulcast system.
        >
        > I have been traveling around the country and testing the BCD396T in
        > states where they are common. In my testing I compare the 396 (with
        > firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro Saber (Mot Type II Digital)
        > or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is that the the 396 works
        > very well on single transmitter sites and is almost unusable in
        > simulcast areas.

        That's odd. It works fine on my local P25 simulcast system.

        > My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Denver, Orange
        > County, San Diego.
        >
        > It is amazing how the Motorola radios never hiccup and the 396 stops
        > decoding even after playing with the "hold key" adjustments.

        Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are you using? Although
        my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that upgrades to the
        firmware could have made a difference on the systems you mentioned.

        What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS portable
        and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when the user
        radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the same.

        > I am confident that if the development team lived near one of these
        > sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how to
        > mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.
        >
        > If they get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop
        > lugging single band portables around with me on planes.

        Again, maybe the answer is that it's already been done and you simply
        haven't bothered to install the upgrades. You've described doing things
        that you cannot do with the latest firmware.

      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
          As has been said before each P25 is supposed to be set up with specific
          timing, the problem is many systems are not set up within the specs and
          thats when you have decode problems, it's multiplied on a simulcast system.
          Additionally reception is differents too, lower power for the same, or more
          coverage. Antenna choice, even weather make huge differences in whether you
          get clean clear transmissions or not. Also you honestly cannot compare a
          $3000 radio to a $500 scanner.... thats just common sense.

          > The 396 works fine on the Cedar Rapids Motorola Type II 3600 Digital TRS
          > that I use the 396 for. And it is a 2 site simulcast system. Now and then
          > it does have a hiccup, but it is very much usable.
          >
          > I have barely tested it on a P25 Standard 9600 baud system. I was in the
          > Quad Cities on the Illinois side and it sounded garbled. I was on the move
          > in the vehicle, and couldn't really play around with settings much. Also,
          > it was STARCOM 21. I've heard of some problems with the system itself.
          >

          > Jason Watts
          > Cedar Rapids, IA
          > -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------
          >
          > Threaded...
          >
          > Peter Elke wrote:
          >> My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an area with a P25
          >> simulcast system.
          >>
          >> I have been traveling around the country and testing the BCD396T in
          >> states where they are common. In my testing I compare the 396 (with
          >> firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro Saber (Mot Type II Digital)
          >> or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is that the the 396 works
          >> very well on single transmitter sites and is almost unusable in
          >> simulcast areas.
          >
          > That's odd. It works fine on my local P25 simulcast system.
          >
          >> My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Denver, Orange
          >> County, San Diego.
          >>
          >> It is amazing how the Motorola radios never hiccup and the 396 stops
          >> decoding even after playing with the "hold key" adjustments.
          >
          > Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are you using? Although
          > my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that upgrades to the
          > firmware could have made a difference on the systems you mentioned.
          >
          > What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS portable
          > and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when the user
          > radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the same.
          >
          >> I am confident that if the development team lived near one of these
          >> sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how to
          >> mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.
          >>
          >> If they get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop
          >> lugging single band portables around with me on planes.
          >
          > Again, maybe the answer is that it's already been done and you simply
          > haven't bothered to install the upgrades. You've described doing things
          > that you cannot do with the latest firmware.

        • Larry Koch
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
            Good explanation John. I have the same problem as Peter described and I am also hoping that the XT will do better. I have tried every digital trunking scanner on the market (RS 2096, 96 - Uniden 996, 396 - PSR 600, 500) and had mixed results with them all.

            John, is the timing problem caused by sloppy maintenance, faulty design, poor manufacturing or global warming?

            To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnstark@...: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:00:44 -0500Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

            As has been said before each P25 is supposed to be set up with specific timing, the problem is many systems are not set up within the specs and thats when you have decode problems, it's multiplied on a simulcast system. Additionally reception is differents too, lower power for the same, or more coverage. Antenna choice, even weather make huge differences in whether you get clean clear transmissions or not. Also you honestly cannot compare a $3000 radio to a $500 scanner.... thats just common sense.John----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason W. Watts, KB0KGH" <KB0KGH@...>To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:23 AMSubject: Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems> The 396 works fine on the Cedar Rapids Motorola Type II 3600 Digital TRS > that I use the 396 for. And it is a 2 site simulcast system. Now and then > it does have a hiccup, but it is very much usable.>> I have barely tested it on a P25 Standard 9600 baud system. I was in the > Quad Cities on the Illinois side and it sounded garbled. I was on the move > in the vehicle, and couldn't really play around with settings much. Also, > it was STARCOM 21. I've heard of some problems with the system itself.>>> Jason Watts> Cedar Rapids, IA> -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: -------------- >> Threaded...>> Peter Elke wrote:>> My hope in that the Uniden development team move to an area with a P25>> simulcast system.>>>> I have been traveling around the country and testing the BCD396T in>> states where they are common. In my testing I compare the 396 (with>> firware v2.9 and 3.01) with ether an Astro Saber (Mot Type II Digital)>> or an XTS2500 (for 100% P25). What I found is that the the 396 works>> very well on single transmitter sites and is almost unusable in>> simulcast areas.>> That's odd. It works fine on my local P25 simulcast system.>>> My testing was in Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Denver, Orange>> County, San Diego.>>>> It is amazing how the Motorola radios never hiccup and the 396 stops>> decoding even after playing with the "hold key" adjustments.>> Hold key adjustments? What version of firmware are you using? Although> my 396 has never sounded bad, it's possible that upgrades to the> firmware could have made a difference on the systems you mentioned.>> What's even more odd is that I have heard anomalies on my XTS portable> and XTL mobiles. Granted, the 396 will sometimes, too, but when the user> radios do it too, I doubt there is anything that would not do the same.>>> I am confident that if the development team lived near one of these>> sites (and lived with the results daily) they would discover how to>> mathematically work out the trick of multipath decoding.>>>> If they get this right I will buy both a 396XT and a 996XT and stop>> lugging single band portables around with me on planes.>> Again, maybe the answer is that it's already been done and you simply> haven't bothered to install the upgrades. You've described doing things> that you cannot do with the latest firmware.>> Joe M.>>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>

          • Jason W. Watts
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
              John,

              That part about the $3000 Motorola XTS and the $500 scanner comparison point you make is a good point. I've not had opportunity to really compare audio with the two, so I wasn't the one who brought that one up. I was just relating my experiences with the scanner. I've had luck with the 396 in Cedar Rapids and really look forward to getting the 396XT.

              Jason W. Watts

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                Given the price difference, I think the 396 does a great job. Much of
                that price difference is going to be due to the transmitting abilities
                of the XTS as well as some additional P25 VOCODER licensing fees, but
                still, for $500 the 396 holds it's own very well.

                The XTS does have better sensitivity, but that is to be expected of a
                unit designed for a specific band. You cannot compare that to the broad
                front end of a scanner.

                It's probably better that the 396 doesn't have more sensitivity - just
                ask any GRE scanner owner who travels into 'RF rich' areas. Their slight
                sensitivity advantage quickly becomes a disadvantage.

                Joe M.

                johnstark wrote:
                > Also you honestly cannot compare a
                > $3000 radio to a $500 scanner.... thats just common sense.
                >
                > John
              • johnstark
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                  Sloppy install to start with, and not fixing it during maintenance, gllobal
                  warming is a joke in my book, and it won't affect the system other than
                  needing better cooling in the summer. Kind of odd situation here with a P16
                  statewide system last week where they had to put heaters at some microwave
                  sites because they got too cold and failed.

                  Good explanation John. I have the same problem as Peter described and I am
                  also hoping that the XT will do better. I have tried every digital trunking
                  scanner on the market (RS 2096, 96 - Uniden 996, 396 - PSR 600, 500) and had
                  mixed results with them all.

                  John, is the timing problem caused by sloppy maintenance, faulty design,
                  poor manufacturing or global warming?

                  To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnstark@...: Wed, 21 Jan
                  2009 11:00:44 -0500Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Decoding simulcast P25 systems

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                    I own a PSR 600 and don't see an overload issue, but then I don't use cheap
                    coax too, which I believe makes a huge difference. As a test I used a
                    regular $29 CB antenna and it's built in coax and then my own coax and
                    antenna, the cheap junk got lots of interference while my setup using thin
                    LMR400 got none. I'd say the coax is a major contributor to problems.
                    Another thing I found was that with the car running, or even the key on I
                    got more noise as well, the cheap stuff was picking up the electrical noise
                    of the car.

                    > Given the price difference, I think the 396 does a great job. Much of
                    > that price difference is going to be due to the transmitting abilities
                    > of the XTS as well as some additional P25 VOCODER licensing fees, but
                    > still, for $500 the 396 holds it's own very well.
                    >
                    > The XTS does have better sensitivity, but that is to be expected of a
                    > unit designed for a specific band. You cannot compare that to the broad
                    > front end of a scanner.
                    >
                    > It's probably better that the 396 doesn't have more sensitivity - just
                    > ask any GRE scanner owner who travels into 'RF rich' areas. Their slight
                    > sensitivity advantage quickly becomes a disadvantage.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > johnstark wrote:
                    >> Also you honestly cannot compare a
                    >> $3000 radio to a $500 scanner.... thats just common sense.
                    >>
                    >> John

                  • johnstark
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                      The biggest issue, and it has been stated by Upman in the past is that the
                      scanners are built to use the SPECIFIED timing for P25 systems, the problem
                      is many of the systems aren't actually using that specification and then
                      decoding is an issue. I don't see any scanner being able to "fix" that, it's
                      up to the radio system techs to bring them into spec, not Uniden or GRE for
                      that matter.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                        Other than poor connections at the connectors, how would poor coax cause
                        more overload? If anything better coax will have less loss resulting in
                        stronger signals and more overload.

                        Joe M.

                        johnstark wrote:
                        > I own a PSR 600 and don't see an overload issue, but then I don't use cheap
                        > coax too, which I believe makes a huge difference. As a test I used a
                        > regular $29 CB antenna and it's built in coax and then my own coax and
                        > antenna, the cheap junk got lots of interference while my setup using thin
                        > LMR400 got none. I'd say the coax is a major contributor to problems.
                        > Another thing I found was that with the car running, or even the key on I
                        > got more noise as well, the cheap stuff was picking up the electrical noise
                        > of the car.
                        >
                        > John

                      • johnstark
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                          The cheap stuff doesn't have good shielding Joe..... that allows for more
                          issues.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                            It's not the timing that is the problem - it's the deviation of the
                            signal. Too many systems are too far out of spec. If they all were
                            perfect, the setting of '8' would have worked fine on all systems. Still
                            the same causes... sloppy installation/maintenance.

                            Global warming is very real. It happens in cycles. We happen to be in
                            the higher part of a cycle right now. The increased solar activity might
                            have something to do with it, too. We gotta stop making the sun hotter!
                            ;-> (as if we've ever done anything to cause any changes to the sun...)

                            As far as us *causing* global warming, I agree - mostly cow doo-doo.
                            Although there is a valid argument about there being more people living
                            on the planet right now than ever before. That could cause warming, too
                            - much like getting a large number of people in a room - even in the
                            winter you need to run the A/C or open some windows. But, the only
                            solution to that is to kill people. I don't think many would agree that
                            is a viable option.

                            But I digress...

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 21, 2009
                              Yes, it can allow for additional signal loss and signal ingress, but
                              compared to the 'ingress' at the antenna it's negligible. I just don't
                              see the relationship that poor coax = more overload. If anything, the
                              signal loss would reduce the overload potential.

                              There is a valid argument that better coax = more overload since there
                              would be more signal present.

                              Joe M.

                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 25, 2009
                                A little OT, but what brand of microwaves? We run Harris Constellations
                                and while they normally run between 50 and 80 degrees ambient temps,
                                we've had them run fine as low as 35 degrees in the site.

                                Mike

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 25, 2009
                                  I have no clue, but they failed when it was between 10 above and -12 with
                                  wind chills as low -35