Firmware

  • pitboss1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
      When you start your new firmware do you have to save to your computer first or can u go straight to the xt. I'm only asking cause I know some people have had problems with unzipping it .
    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
        You download the BC_VUP program as well as the actual firmware
        file. Both are in zipped files. You unzip both. You then install
        the BC_VUP software. When you run the program that you have
        installed, it asks for the location of the unzipped firmware
        file. If all goes as planned, it then loads that firmware into the scanner.

        The firmware doesn't run on your computer. It is merely stored there
        until the BC_VUP program can transfer it to the scanner. When you
        unzip it, the unzipped file will be stored on your computer. It will
        have a file extension of .scn.

        In other words, BC_VUP gets downloaded, unzipped, installed, and run.
        The firmware gets downloaded, unzipped, and transferred to the
        scanner by BC_VUP.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
          Thanks rich

          From: "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@...>
          Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:45:10
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Firmware

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
            You have to DL it and unzip it.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
              Thanks joe

              From: MCH <mch@...>
              Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:35:58
              To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

              You have to DL it and unzip it.

              Joe M.

              pitboss1@... wrote:
              > When you start your new firmware do you have to save to your computer first or can u go straight to the xt. I'm only asking cause I know some people have had problems with unzipping it .

            • sks1084
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 18, 2012
                Anyone know what the current firmware version is for the BCD396XT??

                Thanks
              • Uniden UPMan
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 18, 2012
                  That information is always available at http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BCD396XTFirmwareUpdate.html.

                  1.10.00

                  UpMan

                  >________________________________

                • Clark Rennie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 18, 2012
                    Go here
                    http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD396XTFirmwareUpdate

                    Clark

                    At 08:21 AM 10/18/2012, you wrote:

                    >Anyone know what the current firmware version is for the BCD396XT??
                    >
                    >Thanks

                  • Bruce
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
                      Hello to all I'm new at this group and also new to the BCD396XT still trying to figure out on my own how it all work .but I have a question I did learn how to update the new firmware But my question is

                      What does the new update do that the 1.10 didnt ?
                    • David Johnson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
                        I just purchased a 996XT to complement my 396XT.

                        As a first step, I went to the Uniden web site to download the latest firmware. It isn't there. The support web site is pathetic with the 396XT and 996XT not even listed on the downloads page.

                        Does anyone have a link to the 996XT firmware page please?
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 15, 2013
                          Improves P25 reception on LSM systems.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 15, 2013
                            I'm not sure if there have been any updates to the 996XT.

                            Although there is a chance there will be one similar
                            to the 396XT update that was released recently.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 15, 2013
                              Go here
                              http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD996XTFirmwareUpdate

                              Clark

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 16, 2013
                                Go here

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 16, 2013
                                  Thanks Clark.

                                  >I just purchased a 996XT to complement my 396XT.
                                  >
                                  >As a first step, I went to the Uniden web site to download the latest
                                  >firmware. It isn't there. The support web site is pathetic with the
                                  >396XT and 996XT not even listed on the downloads page.
                                  >
                                  >Does anyone have a link to the 996XT firmware page please?

                                • N1CHU
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 23, 2015
                                    Bruce,

                                    Just because it's been some time since an update has been posted it doesn't mean they no longer support it. It just may be true they are not or there may not be anything important enough to warrant an update. In any case, even if your radio has updates available, there is nothing to say they must be installed. The old adage "If it ain't broken don't fix it" may apply. But there is a flip side to this... Installing the updates will keep the radio current, eliminating one possible cause when there are questions that are posted here.

                                    I haven't installed any updates in my BCD396XT in quite some time and frankly don't even know what version I have. The radio is doing what is expected so even checking the version is not a priority with me. If you are satisfied with the radio as is, then fine. Not having seen updates should not compel anyone to think its time to get the newest model. Not solely by itself anyway.

                                    If concerned about bricking, and you are satisfied with the radio as is, enjoy it. The updates will always be there for you if you change your mind.

                                    Bill
                                  • Bruce
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 23, 2015
                                      I've bricked two things in my life.  A Internet radio and a DSL router.  It was very had to find information on how to unbrick them.  Once found, it was easy to do.  At my job, I had to unbrick Cisco routers.  We never know how they bricked to begin with.  These were ones with SD memory cards.  I kept a image of the memory card on my laptop.  It was just easier and faster then doing it through a command prompt and serial cable on my laptop to the router.

                                      Yes, I firmly believe in the adage, if it isn't broken, don’t fix it.

                                      Bruce