CTCSS/DCS vs NAC search in Close Call

  • Jim Walls
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2009
      I seldom use Close Call, but earlier this evening I had a need to
      determine the NAC of a channel that was programmed into a radio that is
      installed in a vehicle I use. I had the frequency, but not the NAC.
      Since my 396XT was close at hand, I figured that this was one of the few
      reasons for me to use Close Call. Enabled Close Call and then keyed up
      the transmitter. The scanner quickly found the channel, but would not
      decode the NAC. Hmmm, maybe not turned on. So I checked and sure
      enough the scanner had CTCSS/DCS search enabled in Close Call. Changed
      it to P25 NAC search and keyed up again and quickly got the NAC.

      Now the question (for Paul, I assume), why do I have to select either
      CTCSS/DCS search OR NAC search? Since an analog frequency found in
      Close Call will never use a NAC, and a P-25 channel found will only have
      a NAC, why can't I simply have CTCSS/DCS/NAC search with options of on
      or off?

      --
      73
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2009
        I can't answer why, but the same thing is true with a programmed
        frequency. If you designate the audio type as "All", you can't
        search for either the CTCSS/DCS or the NAC. You have to designate it
        as either "Digital Only" to search for NAC or "Analog Only" to search
        for CTCSS/DCS. It's too bad that it's that way since in some cases
        one doesn't know which it will be and one ends up programming the
        frequency once as digital with a NAC search and again as analog with
        the CTCSS/DCS search. That can be problematic if it's scanning in
        the "wrong" direction when the channel becomes active.

        All of this would have been pretty obvious to Uniden, so I assume
        that there's a pretty good reason why it wasn't done in a way that
        would have avoided this problem.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2009
          As I understand it, it's a hardware limitation. Although I don't see why
          the firmware could not switch back and forth until it gets a valid
          decode of 'something'.

          Joe M.

          Jim Walls wrote:
          > I seldom use Close Call, but earlier this evening I had a need to
          > determine the NAC of a channel that was programmed into a radio that is
          > installed in a vehicle I use. I had the frequency, but not the NAC.
          > Since my 396XT was close at hand, I figured that this was one of the few
          > reasons for me to use Close Call. Enabled Close Call and then keyed up
          > the transmitter. The scanner quickly found the channel, but would not
          > decode the NAC. Hmmm, maybe not turned on. So I checked and sure
          > enough the scanner had CTCSS/DCS search enabled in Close Call. Changed
          > it to P25 NAC search and keyed up again and quickly got the NAC.
          >
          > Now the question (for Paul, I assume), why do I have to select either
          > CTCSS/DCS search OR NAC search? Since an analog frequency found in
          > Close Call will never use a NAC, and a P-25 channel found will only have
          > a NAC, why can't I simply have CTCSS/DCS/NAC search with options of on
          > or off?

        • Clayton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2009
            GREs must have "better hardware" :) , they will decode either PL/DPL or NAC
            in search. Probably a different chip or different implementation.

            Clayton

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 16, 2009
              Or they are just switching back and forth as I suggested. Not sure if
              the hardware is the same or not.

              But, that is one of the advantages GRE has over Uniden currently.

              Joe M.