Re: [BCD396XT] Quick Search Searches Too Fast ???

  • Uniden UPMan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
      My vote goes to broadcast screen.
      http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SrchCloCallOpt#Broadcast_Screen
      UPMan

      ________________________________
      From: MCH <mch@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009 1:53:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Quick Search Searches Too Fast ???

      Also, was the attenuator enabled? That should not take a 5 bar signal to
      nothing, but you never know.

      Joe M.

      mobnj wrote:
      > I've learned how to do Quick Searches but have discovered something that concerns me. I hope there's something I can do to increase the value of this feature for me. I'm not assuming it's a design problem. I'm hoping, however, that I have failed to consider something and hope you all will "open my eyes."
      >
      > I stopped scanning and pressed "162." then "HOLD" then "HOLD" again to start the search. I "KNEW" the 396XT would land on 162.5500, a 5-bar+ signal from NOAA Weather near where I live. I say 5-Bar+ because I had tuned into that freq. and noted the DFQ (dead-full-quieting ) station and the signal strength indication on the radio's display.
      >
      > When I performed the Quick Search starting at 162.0000 (as set-up as mentioned above), the radio BLEW by ANYTHING and EVERYTHING from 162.0000 to 163.0000 ... without stopping.
      >
      > I figured I'd have to lower my squelch threshold but, as it turned out, it was already just barely above the open squelch setting, so that wasn't it.
      >
      > This frequency is just a FM (NB) transmission so, what is it/what could it be that allows me to hear the voice transmissions on that freq. when I MANUALLY select the channel I have it stored in, but can't get the radio to "discover it" in the Quick Search mode?
      >
      > Note: When I press "HOLD" to stop the Quick Search and MANUALLY rotate the Select/Volume/ SQL knob (click, click, click, etc.) on top of the radio until I land on 162.5500, THEN I hear it LOUD and CLEAR and again with a signal strength of 5+ bars !!
      >

      > I hope you all can help me.
      >
      > Ken
      > Brick, NJ

    • mobnj
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2009
        I appologize for not replying sooner on this. I've been out of touch for about a week and just now reading all the replies. I will let you all know how it turned out. I hadn't made any changes to any of the default settings I don't think but I promise to give you all the honest scoop.

        Thanks again.

        Ken
        Brick, NJ

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...> wrote:

        > My vote goes to broadcast screen.
        > http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SrchCloCallOpt#Broadcast_Screen
        > UPMan
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2009
          I have a complete mental block as to changing the diplay from Alpha to
          Frequency on the XT models.
          On the T model it is Hold/Function/5 but not on the XTs

          Thanks, Clark
        • mobnj
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
            Hi, all.

            Sorry It's taken this long but I just don't get enough "goofin" time with this hobby but I finally got to it and read-up on what the Broadcast Screen is, etc. and then took a look and found that you all, particularly, you UPMan, had suggestions. Sure enough, when I understood how that feature works (like a screen to keep out the flies but in this case to keep out/greatly attenuate signals you don't want to interfere with your scanning/searching, etc. I need to do more reading about the features and try to understand better how some features affect other aspects of the hobby (some in a good way and some that may cause you grief so if you make changes and then find something doesn't work the same as it did before the changes, it's time to read more).

            The attenuator thought was also good but I didn't feel that would be the case but I still checked it to make sure. When you get something as sophistocated as this radio, you can't assume you'll understand everything right away. In fact, that's one of the really great things that I LOVE about it. It's a hobby that you learn more about radios, antennas, new words (attenuation, squelch, channel, groups, trunking, etc.) and communications (propagation, line-of-sight, Amplitude Modulation, Single-Side-Band, etc.) I love anything that allows me to use the hobby right away but find new features/facets for as long as I own the radio.

            Excellent Job, Uniden! This is quite a leap from my very first Bearcats (base, mobile, handheld, crystals, etc.) and boy oh boy is it GREAT at doing what I paid my hard earned dollars for. Great value!

            Time to read more. I'm a ways before using the trunking feature but I'm not frustrated by that fact.

            Thanks again to you all for jumping to try to point me in the direction of a probable cause of my difficulty.

          • dmccorm@charter.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
              > Time to read more. I'm a ways before using the trunking feature but I'm not frustrated by that fact.

              Ken, what you need to do is experiment and then you'll know how it works. Your not going to break it. You can always back up your programming with FreeSCAN and then re-initialize your radio if you mess things up then reload what worked the last time. If you need it, to re-initialize your radio press and hold 2,9, and Hold, power on the scanner to re-initialize the Memory and restore the Preloaded systems. When it asks do you wish to restore the preloaded systems press the E/Yes key otherwise ". No" to just clear the programming. WARNING This will erase any personal programming you may have done to your DMA.

              Did you look at the preloaded systems? One of them could be close to you and already include the Trunked system nearby: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT#Preloaded_Systems_and_their_System_Quick_Keys

              Take a look at the article that UPMan wrote on how to set-up your systems:
              http://www.grove-ent.com/SCANNERPROGRAMMING.htm