Re: [BCD396XT] Discriminator Output

  • Rich Carlson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6 4:43 PM
      In order to get discriminator audio you need to tap it, there should
      be a solder pad on the main board labeled DISC. Just tack solder a
      small wire there and run that to a jack of some sort (don't forget a
      ground and an isolation cap or resistor!)

      Google around or check Radio Reference, there have been a few mods
      published where people modified an existing jack like the earphone or
      data jack to output the discriminator audio.

      Personally though I would find a cheaper 800 MHz scanner like a PRO96,
      BC330 etc. and tap that, save the expensive 396XT for it's features
      and use a used, older radio for tapping. This also protects you from
      messing up a $500 radio.

      --
      Rich Carlson, N9JIG
    • Dewey
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6 4:46 PM
        Ok, well please correct me if I'm wrong. I can use the data output as a
        discriminator output for running Trunk88/UniTrunker/et al if I turn on the
        Control Channel output function? If so, what pins would that data be on?
        Dewey.

        It doesn't have a discriminator output. It has data output.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6 4:50 PM
          The same pins as the PC communicated on, and yes, it will work with any
          program that has the correct format. I've used it with PRO96COM.

          Joe M.

          Dewey wrote:
          > Ok, well please correct me if I'm wrong. I can use the data output as a
          > discriminator output for running Trunk88/UniTrunker/et al if I turn on the
          > Control Channel output function? If so, what pins would that data be on?
          > Dewey.

        • Dewey
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6 4:58 PM
            Thanks MUCH Rich! I have no plans on going inside the XT, I just thought I
            could get the discriminator output on the serial cable through the Control
            Channel Output function. My tapped Pro-96 is getting loaded down to the
            point where it's not working on the 800 frequencies if I use the tap, and I
            was just being lazy wanting to get the data out of the XT rather than going
            back into the 96 (it has a "straight" tap, no cap or resistor). Thanks
            again Rich. Dewey.