Discriminator Output

  • dewey_003
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      Ok, I give... what's the secret to getting the discriminator out of the 396XT (I know about the menu setting). I'm guessing it will be two of the pins on the serial plug, but which two? I've done searching using several search terms, but could not find any posts on the serial plug's schematics. Thanks in advance. Dewey.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
        It doesn't have a discriminator output. It has data output.

        Joe M.

        dewey_003 wrote:
        > Ok, I give... what's the secret to getting the discriminator out of the 396XT (I know about the menu setting). I'm guessing it will be two of the pins on the serial plug, but which two? I've done searching using several search terms, but could not find any posts on the serial plug's schematics. Thanks in advance. Dewey.

      • Rich Carlson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
          In order to get discriminator audio you need to tap it, there should
          be a solder pad on the main board labeled DISC. Just tack solder a
          small wire there and run that to a jack of some sort (don't forget a
          ground and an isolation cap or resistor!)

          Google around or check Radio Reference, there have been a few mods
          published where people modified an existing jack like the earphone or
          data jack to output the discriminator audio.

          Personally though I would find a cheaper 800 MHz scanner like a PRO96,
          BC330 etc. and tap that, save the expensive 396XT for it's features
          and use a used, older radio for tapping. This also protects you from
          messing up a $500 radio.

          --
          Rich Carlson, N9JIG
        • Dewey
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
            Ok, well please correct me if I'm wrong. I can use the data output as a
            discriminator output for running Trunk88/UniTrunker/et al if I turn on the
            Control Channel output function? If so, what pins would that data be on?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
              The same pins as the PC communicated on, and yes, it will work with any
              program that has the correct format. I've used it with PRO96COM.

              Joe M.

              Dewey wrote:
              > Ok, well please correct me if I'm wrong. I can use the data output as a
              > discriminator output for running Trunk88/UniTrunker/et al if I turn on the
              > Control Channel output function? If so, what pins would that data be on?
              > Dewey.

            • Dewey
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
                Thanks MUCH Rich! I have no plans on going inside the XT, I just thought I
                could get the discriminator output on the serial cable through the Control
                Channel Output function. My tapped Pro-96 is getting loaded down to the
                point where it's not working on the 800 frequencies if I use the tap, and I
                was just being lazy wanting to get the data out of the XT rather than going
                back into the 96 (it has a "straight" tap, no cap or resistor). Thanks
                again Rich. Dewey.