Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld Scanners

  • uniden.upman
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      UNIDEN UPDATES HANDHELD TRUNK TRACKER® SCANNER LINEUP

      Raises the Bar for Features and Performance

      Fort Worth, Texas, September 29, 2008 – Uniden America Corporation,
      a leading manufacturer of wireless consumer electronics, today announced
      their handheld Trunk Tracker III and Trunk Tracker IV scanner lineup to
      be debuted in early 2009. "Uniden is making major advances in the
      category it created" said Paul Opitz, Uniden's Product Manager
      for the category. "We've listened to our customers and taken
      these scanners to the next level of functionality and performance based
      on what they told us they needed to do their jobs better."

      The BC346XT will replace the BC246T as Uniden's flagship handheld
      analog Trunk Tracker. Touting 9,000 channels organized using
      Uniden's own Dynamic Memory model the BC346XT simplifies scanner
      programming by modeling the scanner's memory organization after the
      real world. The BC346XT also adds GPS support for automatic control of
      radio features based on location, a first in the industry for a handheld
      scanner, and a feature Uniden pioneered with the last generation of
      mobile scanners. Additional features include:

      § Trunk Tracker III – follows trunked traffic on
      Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using ESK)

      § 500 TGID Channels per trunked system – doubling the
      number of channels that can be programmed into a trunked system

      § Temporary Lockout – allows a channel or system to be
      locked out for a single session and restored by cycling power

      § 100 System/Site Quick Key's – provides a way to quickly
      turn on or off scanning for groups of systems…a feature that
      provides users of Uniden scanners the most flexibility in programming
      and operation

      § Startup Configuration Keys – lets specific systems be
      locked or unlocked automatically when the scanner is powered on

      § System/Channel Number Tagging – makes it easy to jump
      to a specific channel

      § Multisite Systems – includes support for large systems
      such as those being installed for statewide operation in some areas.

      § Priority ID Scan -- lets the scanner apply priority to
      channels as they become active on the system

      § Preemptive Priority (Motorola only) – monitors for
      priority traffic, even when the scanner is receiving a transmission on
      the system.

      § Assignable Search Keys – give quick access to favorite
      search modes

      § IF Exchange – lets the scanner use an alternate IF
      (intermediate frequency) to help avoid interference sources.

      § Negative dropout delays – resume scanning after the
      selected time to keep the scanner from hanging on stuck mics or other
      continuous transmissions

      § Close Call® Temporary Store – buffers the most
      recent Close Call hits and scans them conventionally

      § Location-Based Scanning – when a compatible GPS unit is
      connected, turns on and off systems, sites, and channel groups as the
      location changes

      § Location Alert Systems – allow location-specific alerts
      to be programmed for such things as dangerous intersections, dangerous
      roads, or general points of interest

      § Band Scope – gives a rapid graphical display of the
      strength of signals within a specified range of frequencies

      § Key Safe Mode -- prevents naïve users from accidentally
      changing programming … a feature that has been a big request from
      public safety and media radio system managers

      § Private Systems -- prevents a system from being modified or
      read by PC, to help protect confidential radio system programming

      § Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of
      control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications
      to the scanner

      § Volume Offset – lets individual channels be programmed
      with a volume offset to help balance between channels that are louder or
      softer than other programmed channels

      § EDACS ESK Tracking – tracks systems that have
      implemented EDACS System Keys

      § Fire Tone-Out Tone Search – identifies tones used by
      agencies using two-tone paging for alert signaling

      The BCD396XT will provide the same enhancements to Uniden's Trunk
      Tracker IV flagship handheld platform. In addition, this new model adds:

      § Trunk Tracker IV – follows trunked traffic on APCO 25,
      Motorola, LTR, and EDACS systems (including EDACS systems using ESK)

      § 25,000 total channels

      § NAC Decoding – allows specific agencies to be monitored
      on P25 conventional channels

      § P25 One-Channel Trunking – supports P25 conventional
      systems that include both NAC and TGID access control on a single
      frequency

      § Automatic P25 Threshold – fully automates the
      optimization of P25 reception

      § Multicolor Display Backlight – allows the selection of
      backlight color to meet the user's own aesthetic taste

      § Visual Alert Notification – lets alerts be assigned to
      specific display colors, flash patterns, audible tones, and volume
      levels.

      Both models are expected to be released in early 2009 at prices
      comparable to the models being replaced.

      * These models are still under development, so all features are subject
      to modification or removal based on actual development and testing
      results. No statement in this press release should be considered as a
      promise to deliver or guarantee of performance.

    • donc113
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "uniden.upman" <uniden.upman@...>
        wrote:

        <hugely unnecessary copy of the complete original message snipped by the moderator>

        Will any of the new features be available as a firmware upgrade to
        the 396T? Obviously, some of them (such as expanded memory,
        Exchange IF, etc.) cant' be...but some of them such as temporary
        lockout, maybe NAC and so forth...any possibility of them on the 396T?

        Thanks!
        Don
      • torontokris
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          Close call Do Not Disturb...
          EDACS ESK..

          thats about it
          (No NAC, or temp lockout) too bad those will be nice features on the
          396XT.

          Firmware should be out tomorrow or Wednesday.

          Any other questions in regards to the BCD396T try the 396T group at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "donc113" <Don.Curtis@...> wrote:

          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "uniden.upman" <uniden.upman@>
          > wrote:
          >
          > <hugely unnecessary copy of the complete original message snipped by
          the moderator>

          > Will any of the new features be available as a firmware upgrade to
          > the 396T? Obviously, some of them (such as expanded memory,
          > Exchange IF, etc.) cant' be...but some of them such as temporary
          > lockout, maybe NAC and so forth...any possibility of them on the 396T?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Don

        • Mike Iszak
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.

            The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.

            If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.

            But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
              > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per
              > system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however
              > they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been
              > there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.

              I can't imagine the expectation is for every 396T owner to run out and buy a
              396XT... But it is a nice update to a VERY good scanner, and keeps it at the
              top of the feature line for a while yet.

              - Rob
            • torontokris
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                Marketing is where its at.
                Create buzz, get people talking about it. Which they did.

                I agree the GRE's are ugly, and large (the PSR-500 is almost double
                the size).

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                > Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype
                over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of
                sizzle but no flame.

                > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups
                per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome,
                however they alone (and combined with the other features that should
                have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new
                radio.

                > If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade
                more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the
                new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd
                certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.

                > But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any
                more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing
                if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

                Handheld Scanners

                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "uniden.upman" <uniden.upman@>
                > wrote:
                >
                > <hugely unnecessary copy of the complete original message snipped by
                the moderator>

                > Will any of the new features be available as a firmware upgrade to
                > the 396T? Obviously, some of them (such as expanded memory,
                > Exchange IF, etc.) cant' be...but some of them such as temporary
                > lockout, maybe NAC and so forth...any possibility of them on the 396T?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Don

              • smerri1987
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                  I know I am looking forward to it. I don't have a digital yet so I
                  can't listen to bordering New Hampshire. I will be saving my nickles
                  and buying one when it comes out. The big seller for me on Uniden is
                  the size, as well as System and Group Quick Keys. I do wish however,
                  that there were more than 9 Group Quick Keys with the large increase
                  in memory.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                    $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
                    funds toward the XT.

                    Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
                    lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
                    pretty good 'flame'.

                    Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
                    feature every release.

                    What else do you think should be on the XT?

                    Joe M.

                    Mike Iszak wrote:
                    > Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
                    >
                    > The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
                    >
                    > If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
                    >
                    > But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

                  • Mike Iszak
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                      How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID? How about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                      They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

                      The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

                      I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                        Threaded...

                        Mike Iszak wrote:
                        > How about patch support?

                        Can you give details? Patches are receivable on the current models.

                        > How about trunking based on System ID?

                        That would be nice, but I've never heard that it's a big problem except
                        during band openings. (when you hear other control channels on the local
                        system's alternate CC frequencies)

                        > How about making it not suck for intermod?

                        Uniden has never been known for that - especially compared to the
                        competition.

                        > How about having a speaker that doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?

                        That would require an increase in the size of the unit. I like the fact
                        that it can fit in my shirt pocket and my audio doesn't sound anything
                        close to any cellphone I've ever heard. Maybe you have a bad speaker.

                        > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable, rather than look pretty.

                        Every single feature announced makes it more usable - especially the
                        increased channel capacity - more than 4 times the current model!

                        > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should have been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is because of the GRE offering.

                        There's an assumption I'm not going to address. I think they have always
                        increased the feature set - regardless of what the competition does.

                        You can ALWAYS trash a unit for not having every possible feature in
                        earlier models. But, if they released a 'perfect scanner', they would be
                        out of business in 5 years because they would have no work left to do.

                        > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and smell the technology or else get left behind.

                        And again, what other than the few features you mentioned are missing?
                        What could have been added yet keep the price in line with the current
                        market?

                        > From: MCH <mch@...>
                        >
                        > Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:22:07
                        > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT Handheld
                        > Scanners
                        >

                        > $200 for your 396? Just sell the thing for more than that, and put the
                        > funds toward the XT.
                        >
                        > Personally, I think more than four times the channel capacity, temporary
                        > lockout, NAC, FTO decode, multi-color backlight, and GPS support is a
                        > pretty good 'flame'.
                        >
                        > Granted, not as much as DMA, but you can't have such a groundbreaking
                        > feature every release.
                        >
                        > What else do you think should be on the XT?
                        >
                        > Joe M.
                        >
                        > Mike Iszak wrote:
                        >> Well I have to give Uniden credit. They've created a lot of hype over this product upgrade however I can't help but feel it is a lot of sizzle but no flame.
                        >>
                        >> The increased channel capacity (specificaly, increased talkgroups per system) and the temporary lockout features are VERY welcome, however they alone (and combined with the other features that should have been there since day one) is not compelling enough to buy a new radio.
                        >>
                        >> If Uniden wanted to impress or at the very least, make an upgrade more attractive, is have a "buy back" program where you could get the new radio for say $200 with the trade in of your old 396. I'd certainly go for that, as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
                        >>
                        >> But at the end of the day, these features don't make the 396 any more attractive than the GRE offerings (which are still more appealing if they didn't look so damn ugly!!).

                      • donc113
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                          I understand about them...I was one of the open beta testers. I'm
                          talking about perhaps a future firmware update to add some of the new
                          features.

                          I personally have NO problem if something to add those features was a
                          for pay update. From my perspective...I'd have no problem paying $50
                          for such an update....others mileage WILL vary.

                          Don

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                            Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with intermod. I
                            believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
                            better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
                            channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                              Are you talking about upgrading the BCD396T? This is the XT list. Any
                              discussions on the 396T should be on the 396T list.

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                                There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                  It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
                                  knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
                                  ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
                                  comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
                                  high RF areas.

                                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

                                  > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
                                  would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
                                  My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
                                  a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

                                  > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
                                  wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                                • johnstark
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                    never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
                                    GRE's....

                                    > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
                                    > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
                                    > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
                                    > or near a cellphone site.
                                    >
                                    > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
                                    > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

                                  • kayi4cle
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                      So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
                                      you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
                                      Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
                                      understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
                                      hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
                                    • pmanu44
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
                                        http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT