Batteries

  • David Nordmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
      Got a question about the 2900 mAh batteries. Is it my imagination or do
      they require a longer time to recharge. Also how long can you wait until
      after you hear and see low battery alert before turning it off and putting
      it in the charger. I guess what I'm saying if you run the batteries all the
      way down will you lose and data.

    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
        The time to recharge batteries is proportional to the amount of
        charge that you have to put into the battery so a 2900 mAh battery
        which is fully discharged would take twice as long to recharge as a
        1450 mAh battery with the same state of charge.

        I believe that programmed data is protected even in the absence of power.

        Dick

        At 08:59 AM 10/25/2009, you wrote:
        > Got a question about the 2900 mAh batteries. Is it my imagination or do
        >they require a longer time to recharge. Also how long can you wait until
        >after you hear and see low battery alert before turning it off and putting
        >it in the charger. I guess what I'm saying if you run the batteries all the
        >way down will you lose and data.
      • djfred600
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
          Taking the batteries out of the unit will not erase the data on the scanner.

          Yes the more mAh you have on the batter the longer it will take to charge but it also depends on the output of your charger the more mAh you got putting out the faster it will charge.

          This goes out to all rechargeable batteries/devices.
          When you wait til the battery is low and you charge it the longer the battery will stay charged and also will have a longer life span.

          -Fred

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
            The scanner will not let the cells run all the way down. It will cut
            them off at about 1.13V per cell. The scanner's data is retained. I've
            had them run down until auto-power-off many times and never lost anything.

            Joe M.

            David Nordmann wrote:
            > Got a question about the 2900 mAh batteries. Is it my imagination or do
            > they require a longer time to recharge. Also how long can you wait until
            > after you hear and see low battery alert before turning it off and putting
            > it in the charger. I guess what I'm saying if you run the batteries all the
            > way down will you lose and data.

          • Mark Levine, D.C.
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
              If you are charging them in the scanner, realize there is no sensing circuit
              and that Charge Complete comes on based on the timer setting. You may never
              be charging 2900mAh batteries completely in the scanner.

              Doc

              > The scanner will not let the cells run all the way down. It will cut
              > them off at about 1.13V per cell. The scanner's data is retained. I've
              > had them run down until auto-power-off many times and never lost anything.
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > David Nordmann wrote:
              >> Got a question about the 2900 mAh batteries. Is it my imagination or do
              >> they require a longer time to recharge. Also how long can you wait until
              >> after you hear and see low battery alert before turning it off and
              >> putting
              >> it in the charger. I guess what I'm saying if you run the batteries all
              >> the
              >> way down will you lose and data.

              >> 07/31/09 05:58:00

            • mobnj
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                I hope this will help regarding charging the batteries. When compared to lower capacity batteries, a higher capactiy cell (a battery is made of multiple cells) will take longer to charge than a lower capacity (rated or measured in terms of milliamp-hours, mA-Hr) cell.

                Since rechargable batteries are not 100% efficient in converting stored energy to power external devices and, said in another way, not 100% efficient at taking a charge from an external source to reverse the internal chemical reaction(s). That said, it typically takes about 14-16 hours to recharge a NiCd or NiMH (I believe) to fully charge the cell(s) which amounts to about 140% more energy put into a cell that has been fully depleted of its energy.

                Keep in mind, however, that manufacturers don't really recommend discharging cells down to 0.0 Volts. To do so would likely result in that cell (or several cells if we're talking about a battery or battery pack) become reverse charged. Not healthy in terms of the cell's lifetime.

                Instead, insure that whatever alarm is used doesn't allow you to deplete the cell below 0.9 (or better not to deplete any cell below 1.1-Volt to prevent such problems.

                Thus far, I've provided information in terms of what is considered to be a "slow" charge or a "standard" charge which is 0.1 times the cells capacity rating (given in terms of mA-Hr). So, a 2800 mA-Hr cell would be charged at 280mA for 14-16 hours which is what the charging circuitry in the radio charges at/for. As was said below, that charger only tells you that it's been charging for 16-hours (I believe I read) but if you charge it at home over night for say 8-hours and unplug it to take to work to finish the job, you'd better have some kind of alarm to tell you to shut the charger down after 8-9 hours because the radio is thinking it's got a different battery to charge at the 0.1C (0.1 x rated cell capacity) for 16-hours. It does NOT remember what charging was done before you pulled the plug.

                Another way to "skin" the potato is to buy one of the MAHA chargers that can charge much faster. No, I have nothing to gain by recommending their chargers but if you all have questions, let me know. I just bought their MH-C9000 which will charge any combination of AA or AAA cells (in any quantity from 1-4) INDEPENDENT of each other. That is to say that each cell is treated as a separate entity. Meanwhile, the computer inside keeps track of charging current, voltage, time, and heat production. In short, pretty much idiot proof. It is powered by AC or DC (12-V).

                Mark's statement below about possibly not being sure you're completly charging the batteries is true BUT, as long as you monitor the time you've charged it you can stop it at any time by pulling the plug, waiting a few moments and then applyiing the power again for the remainder of the 14-16 hours. To be safe, charge them for 17-hours to allow for "topping" the charge. It's technically not a topping charge but it's similar and charging the cell for the full 17 hours (for example 5-hours + 12-hours equates to the 17-hours).

                Might there be some fine points about this, sure but there would be NO harm done doing as I've said and the batterys will be essentially fully charged to the best of your efforts. Keep in mind, this is the simplest of charging techniques AND the safest and that's why the charging circuit was designed the way it was.

                If you want or need shorter charging times, buy a spare set always ready to swap one set out and replaced by the spare set.

                Hope I've helped.

                Ken

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:

                > If you are charging them in the scanner, realize there is no sensing circuit
                > and that Charge Complete comes on based on the timer setting. You may never
                > be charging 2900mAh batteries completely in the scanner.
                >
                > Doc

              • Mark Levine, D.C.
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                  Actually Ken when you remove the charge plug, the internal timer resets it
                  does not resume.

                  ml
> [...]
                  >
                  > Might there be some fine points about this, sure but there would be NO
                  > harm done doing as I've said and the batterys will be essentially fully
                  > charged to the best of your efforts. Keep in mind, this is the simplest
                  > of charging techniques AND the safest and that's why the charging circuit
                  > was designed the way it was.
                  >
                  > If you want or need shorter charging times, buy a spare set always ready
                  > to swap one set out and replaced by the spare set.
                  >
                  > Hope I've helped.
                  >
                  > Ken
                  >

                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> If you are charging them in the scanner, realize there is no sensing
                  >> circuit
                  >> and that Charge Complete comes on based on the timer setting. You may
                  >> never
                  >> be charging 2900mAh batteries completely in the scanner.

                • mobnj
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                    Mark, what I meant was that you could resume charging at the 0.1C rate. The internal timer would think that it's charging a different cell and would do so for 16-hours but on that second "leg" of charge on the same cell that had been charging for (to use my example below) 8-hours at home, the next day after disconnecting the charger, you'd only let it charge for a TOTAL COMBINED time of 14-16 hours (I'd personally go for 17 total). At the office you'd only charge that cell for another 8 or 9 hours and then turn off the charger or disconnect the power plug from the radio. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear.

                  • Mark Levine, D.C.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                      Well in any case, the external charger is still the way to protect and serve
                      the cells along with not risking the scanner.

                      > Mark, what I meant was that you could resume charging at the 0.1C rate.
                      > The internal timer would think that it's charging a different cell and
                      > would do so for 16-hours but on that second "leg" of charge on the same
                      > cell that had been charging for (to use my example below) 8-hours at home,
                      > the next day after disconnecting the charger, you'd only let it charge for
                      > a TOTAL COMBINED time of 14-16 hours (I'd personally go for 17 total). At
                      > the office you'd only charge that cell for another 8 or 9 hours and then
                      > turn off the charger or disconnect the power plug from the radio. I'm
                      > sorry if it wasn't clear.
                      >
                      > Ken
                      >

                      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levine, D.C." <wb2eqe@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Actually Ken when you remove the charge plug, the internal timer resets
                      >> it
                      >> does not resume.
                      >>
                      >> ml

                    • mobnj
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                        I agree, Mark. You are certainly correct about the fact that if the radio is being recharged and you pull the power plug, the charging stops. I think we all understand that. If the radio had charged the batteries for 10-hours when it's power plug had been removed, and re-connected once you got home (let's say), you'd need to keep track of the duration of this additional charging procedure so that you don't over charge the batteries much (presumiing the individual cells were measured at 0.9 to 1.1 Volts/cell which is about as low as they should be allowed to be discharged before recharging is begun) until the total time charged is about 14-16 hours.

                      • mobnj
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                          I would agree, it's handy, nice and easy to utilize the internal charging circuitry along with the external power "cube" but when you can both afford the cost and the cubic volume (the size) of an external charger that's just about idiot proof, I decided to purchase the MAHA MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer. I felt it was/is justified in everyway to both insure I get the max. usage/life out of the batteries I use, insures that no matter where I am (mobile or home, etc.) as long as I have a source of Line/Mains Voltage or Automobile cigar-lighter socket, I can keep/charge any number of cells charged. It will do all that it can do (lots of modes, features) for any number of cells from one (1) to four (4) cells and do it independently for EACH cell. I could charge 1-cell, 2-cells, 3-cells, or all four at a time (even though the Uniden 396XT only uses three (3) AA-cells. It will charge NiCd or NiMH AA cells.

                          Now, if you have need of charging more cells or differing sizes (AA, AAA, C, D, 9-Volt Rectangular, etc.) take a look at their website: http://www.mahaenergy.com

                          By the way, I make nothing for mentioning this unit/company. I'm just telling you what I did and why.

                          For those of you that would want/need to charge in the car, that cable is an zccessory and costs about $9.95 list but I went to my local Radio Shack and found a couple of their parts to make my DC power/charging cable.

                          Maha also offers 2700mA-hour AA cells so yes, I purchased two sets of 4 at 12.99 each (USA). Each set came with a handy holder for the cells.

                          Anyone using rechargeable batteries for their cameras (other than Li-ION chemistry types), cassette recorders/players, portalbe CD-players, etc. SHOULD give this sophistocated charger/analyzer a GOOD look and consideration for insuring you get the most out of your battery investment with little to no thinking, counting, etc.

                          Ken
                          Brick, NJ