Avoiding Systems with all groups locked out

  • Jim Walls
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
      Many of you will get this several times as I'm cross posting it to three
      groups. However it is relevant to all three.

      One of the few problems with the Uniden DMA scanners is the ability to
      turn off all the groups within a system, and then it's kind of a pain in
      the neck to get anything in that system turned back on. Honestly I am
      very careful to avoid making that mistake so the result is that I can
      never remember what the process to hold your mouth just right, bow in
      the correct direction of the moon, and press buttons while turning knobs
      all at the same time to turn a group back on. Just to make it worse,
      the procedure is different between the mobile vs handheld scanners.
      There had to be a way to prevent turning off all the groups in a system.

      I have found it! I NEVER use system or group lockouts - EVER. If I am
      going to turn a system or group on or off, I use quick keys. What I did
      was in each system, I created, I added a group that does not have a
      group quick key, and that group has one channel or talkgroup (as
      appropriate for the system type). That channel is programmed so that it
      is HIGHLY unlikely that there will ever be anything received that will
      open the squelch. For example, for conventional systems, I use a
      frequency in a high UHF TV (unused) with an oddball DPL. I call that
      channel and the group that it's in "keep alive". That way if I turn off
      all the groups, the keep alive group will still be on with it's one
      channel that never receives anything. Then it's real easy to turn
      desired groups back on.

      One other tip. I have a system with a quick key of 99, that also only
      has one group and channel. The system is called: Rev. 2009-10-24 and
      the date is changed whenever I update the codeplug. That way I can look
      at any of the DMA scanners that I program (my 996T and 396XT, my work
      issued 396T, and several dozen other 396Ts that I program at work), and
      easily see what the codeplug version that is programmed into that
      particular scanner. System 99 is set to have a 5 second hold time and
      when a scanner is programmed, it is turned ON so that as soon as it is
      finished programming, I can easily tell that the codeplug was actually
      written to the scanner. Then a simple .99 and it's turned off. If I
      need to verify the programming of a scanner, a simple .99 and the
      revision date "system" is turned on for me to easily see. I do the same
      thing on the 796Ts at work except there is just channel 1000 and that
      channel is normally locked out.

      --
      73
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
        The procedure for re-enabling Groups when all are disabled is not as
        hard as you make it out to be, and it's the same for all three scanners.

        Press the FUNC knob (granted, it's in different locations for the
        portable vs mobile, but it's the same function), scroll to the System in
        question, and press the digit for the GQK you want to re-enable.

        Yes, leaving a Group that is never locked out will work, too.

        That is a good tip about the revision date! I would not assign any SQK
        to it, though. You can also put it in the boot-up display.

        Property of:
        John Smith
        (707)555-1212
        Rev 09-10-25

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
          MCH wrote:
          > The procedure for re-enabling Groups when all are disabled is not as
          > hard as you make it out to be, and it's the same for all three scanners.
          >
          > Press the FUNC knob (granted, it's in different locations for the
          > portable vs mobile, but it's the same function), scroll to the System in
          > question, and press the digit for the GQK you want to re-enable.

          Try and do that while driving sometime...

          --
          73
          -------------------------------------
          Jim Walls - K6CCC
          jim@...
          Ofc: 818-548-4804
          http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
          AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395
        • Paul Opitz
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
            That is a good tip. For those who don't follow the tip, restoring scanning is actually pretty simple and is consistent across all DMA models:

            FUNC + Scroll to the system
            While FUNC is still activated, press the digit corresponding to a GQK to enable for that system.

            ________________________________

            ------------ --------- --------- -------
            Jim Walls - K6CCC
            jim@...
            Ofc: 818-548-4804
            http://home. earthlink. net/~k6ccc
            AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

          • johnstark
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
              Actually I have done it while driving, it helps to have the scanner in a
              mount where you don't have to take your eyes off the road though.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2009
                If you're driving, you're likely using the 996 model. Press the Scroll
                knob until it beeps (display shows FUNCTION HOLDING), scroll to the
                System (can take several minutes if need be), then press the digit
                (0-9). None of this is time-sensitive.

                The 396XT is the same except for the location of the func button. But,
                it works the same. You can even make it one item per stoplight.

                The typical caveat about operating anything while driving applies. ;->

                Joe M.