Beep Beep Beep

  • djfred600
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
      Hey,

      I have a question regarding a freq i listen to

      Disp1-CV-Alta - 483.98750

      I can hear the Dispatch fine but the other end all i hear is
      beeps, and the beeps can go as long as the person talks for.

      Its a conventional freq so everything is set to Auto from Mod to Audio Type. I'm just wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong.

      Thank you
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
        Sounds like they are using a repeater that is set to mask the signals on
        the input.

        To hear them, enter 486.9875 in your scanner, but the cars will have to
        be much more close to hear them, and the scanner will lock up on the
        repeater since it transmits continuously. Maybe put 486.9875 in an
        adjacent channel, press HOLD when they are talking and switch between
        the two channels.

        You could also put both channels in 1 system and put a long HOLD TIME on
        it and a negative delay on the repeater. That will cause the scanner to
        'sample' the input at the given time period. Make sure you don't use a
        negative delay on the input frequency.

        Joe M.

        djfred600 wrote:
        > Hey,
        >
        > I have a question regarding a freq i listen to
        >
        > Disp1-CV-Alta - 483.98750
        >
        > I can hear the Dispatch fine but the other end all i hear is
        > beeps, and the beeps can go as long as the person talks for.
        >
        > Its a conventional freq so everything is set to Auto from Mod to Audio Type. I'm just wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong.
        >
        > Thank you

      • Walter Jinright
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
          That also sounds like what the Maritime Telephones sound like, I know they are 2 freq. duplex but not on a repeater, but when the ship talks to shore while on a phone call, you hear the beep........beep......beep....etc. I also still hear some local Radio Telephones that do that on UHF, remember the HT's with the DTMF pads before cell phones were popular? Those are actually still used here, I have also heard that on a few Ham repeater phone patches.

          Walter

          djfred600 wrote:
          > Hey,
          >
          > I have a question regarding a freq i listen to
          >
          > Disp1-CV-Alta - 483.98750
          >
          > I can hear the Dispatch fine but the other end all i hear is
          > beeps, and the beeps can go as long as the person talks for.
          >
          > Its a conventional freq so everything is set to Auto from Mod to Audio Type. I'm just wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong.
          >
          > Thank you

        • Rich Carlson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
            The CHP used to send beeps over the base freq to let mobiles know the
            mobile channel was busy in the absence of repeaters on the low band
            system. I wonder if this isn't a similar thing, letting the mobiles
            know the repeater is busy without sending the mobile traffic.

            If you are close enough to the mobiles you should hear them on the
            mobile freq of 486.9875.

            --
            Rich Carlson, N9JIG
          • Jason W. Watts
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
              Here in Iowa, Des Moines Police will put a beeper on a channel if they are closing it due to a chase or some other incident that requires a clear channel. Their channels are of course repeaters.

              Jason W. Watts

              --
              Rich Carlson, N9JIG

            • Jim Walls
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2009
                djfred600 wrote:
                > Hey,
                >
                > I have a question regarding a freq i listen to
                >
                > Disp1-CV-Alta - 483.98750
                >
                > I can hear the Dispatch fine but the other end all i hear is
                > beeps, and the beeps can go as long as the person talks for.

                That is the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept channel for Altadena and
                Cresenta Valley. All of the LASD dispatch channels do that. They are
                repeater pairs, but do not normally run repeat. In order to let the
                other officers know that the input frequency is in use and that they
                need to stand by, the repeater output transmits beep, beep, beep (called
                a busy tone). when they have something hot like a pursuit, they "turn
                on the patch" and it becomes a real repeater. As soon as the hot event
                is over, they will drop the patch. Personally I find it obnoxious, and
                I don't know how the deputies can stand it. Fortunately I don't listen
                to LASD very often. The Local Tactical (called L-Tacs), Area Tactical
                (called A-Tacs), and Countywide Tactical (called C-Tacs) are normal
                repeater channels.

                --
                73
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Thank you for all the reply guys it makes much more sense now.

                  I have tired the 486.9875 freq and wasnt able to pull anything up on that, but like you have mentioned its because i have to be close to the car to hear it.

                  This station is only a few blocks away from me thought listening to it might be fun but it does get annoying with the beeps coming in.