Determining and tracking a trunked system

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2009
      Here's a question for all of you.

      When scanning, I'll occasionally run across a channel that lights up the "LNK" indicator telling me that I've stumbled across a control channel for some system. The question is, how can I instruct the XT to actually follow it when I know nothing about the system behind it?
    • Jason W
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
        The LNK is the preamble to a P25 voice transmission

        if you hit on a 9600 Baud P25 system i believe it will show "DAT"
        all other trunk systems will not show anything - someone correct me if i am wrong please.

        if it is a motorola system you can program the control channel in and instruct the scanner to do a talkgroup search.

        Jason WX4JCW
      • Richard A. Victor
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
          According to The Complete Reference, it indicates that data is being
          received on a voice channel.

          Dick

          At 04:07 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:
          >The LNK is the preamble to a P25 voice transmission
          >
          >if you hit on a 9600 Baud P25 system i believe it will show "DAT"
          >all other trunk systems will not show anything - someone correct me
          >if i am wrong please.
          >
          >if it is a motorola system you can program the control channel in
          >and instruct the scanner to do a talkgroup search.
          >

          >Jason WX4JCW

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
            Ok, but is there a fast way to just tell the XT "follow this data and see where it goes" or do I have to create a temporary system, program in that frequency and guess at the system type?

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@...> wrote:

            > According to The Complete Reference, it indicates that data is being
            > received on a voice channel.
            >
            > Dick
            >
            > At 04:07 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:
            > >The LNK is the preamble to a P25 voice transmission
            > >
            > >if you hit on a 9600 Baud P25 system i believe it will show "DAT"
            > >all other trunk systems will not show anything - someone correct me
            > >if i am wrong please.
            > >
            > >if it is a motorola system you can program the control channel in
            > >and instruct the scanner to do a talkgroup search.
            > >

            > >Jason WX4JCW

          • Richard A. Victor
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
              I'm afraid that I can't answer that for you. Frankly, I haven't run
              into a system that wasn't listed in the RR database so I've just
              programmed in the systems that I want to listen to using the
              available data rather than having to search for them. If you find a
              control channel you can look up who holds the license for that
              frequency in your area and generally find the system info once you've
              identified the system.

              Dick

              At 08:34 PM 10/4/2009, you wrote:

              >Ok, but is there a fast way to just tell the XT "follow this data
              >and see where it goes" or do I have to create a temporary system,
              >program in that frequency and guess at the system type?
              >
              >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > According to The Complete Reference, it indicates that data is being
              > > received on a voice channel.
              > >
              > > Dick
              > >
              > > At 04:07 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:
              > > >The LNK is the preamble to a P25 voice transmission
              > > >
              > > >if you hit on a 9600 Baud P25 system i believe it will show "DAT"
              > > >all other trunk systems will not show anything - someone correct me
              > > >if i am wrong please.
              > > >
              > > >if it is a motorola system you can program the control channel in
              > > >and instruct the scanner to do a talkgroup search.
              > > >
              > > >Jason WX4JCW
            • Jason W
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
                Same Difference, LNK always appears just before a voice transmission starts which is the header of the digital transmission.

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@...> wrote:

                > According to The Complete Reference, it indicates that data is being
                > received on a voice channel.
                >
                > Dick
                >
                > At 04:07 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:
                > >The LNK is the preamble to a P25 voice transmission
                > >
                > >if you hit on a 9600 Baud P25 system i believe it will show "DAT"
                > >all other trunk systems will not show anything - someone correct me
                > >if i am wrong please.
                > >
                > >if it is a motorola system you can program the control channel in
                > >and instruct the scanner to do a talkgroup search.
                > >

                > >Jason WX4JCW

              • radaremtjcw
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
                  You can set up a custom search for the band you want to listen to
                  then set it to decode control channel data, when it stops on a P25 Data Channel it will follow the traffic but you wont be able to Alpha tag it or hold on a talkgroup