Re: [BCD396XT] Flashing Hold that manual

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
      I think it is all about saving money under the disguise of helping to save
      the worlds trees. Is the reason there is no software for the XT a move to
      the "Green" rational? Twist it however you like Joe, Uniden in my opinion
      chose no manual and no software, to add a few bucks to there bank account.

      Mel
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
        And your statements aren't twisting it? Pot = kettle = black.

        The SW is completely unrelated. Paul will have to address that issue if
        he wants to.

        As for it being about money rather than trees, you could be right. All
        these 'Green' issues could only be about the money. But, Uniden is not
        the only company involved in 'Going Green'. Even the government is
        involved, of course they get a lot of lobbyist money for passing laws
        and perks for companies that are doing these things.

        GRE is doing the same thing, BTW. Hey!!! Maybe it's a conspiracy!!! ;->

        I guess it all comes down to whether or not you feel Global Warming is a
        real issue. Of course it exists - the world is still coming out of an
        ice age, and it will continue to get warmer. But, do you believe that
        the climate is being affected more than the basic warming that is a
        fact. That's the question few people (if any) can answer.

        Joe M.

        Mel wrote:
        > I think it is all about saving money under the disguise of helping to save
        > the worlds trees. Is the reason there is no software for the XT a move to
        > the "Green" rational? Twist it however you like Joe, Uniden in my opinion
        > chose no manual and no software, to add a few bucks to there bank account.
        >
        > Mel

      • Larry Koch
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
          <.....to add a few bucks to there bank account.>

          Any money saved by them will ultimately mean we pay less for their product.

          As for manuals, no matter what product it is, if I can find the manual on-line I save a copy in my "manuals" folder. If I can't find a copy on-line, I scan it, save it in my "manuals" folder then send the paper copy to our local recycling center.

          > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
          > From: robinson4724@...
          > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 08:02:00 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Flashing Hold that manual
          >
          > I think it is all about saving money under the disguise of helping to save
          > the worlds trees. Is the reason there is no software for the XT a move to
          > the "Green" rational? Twist it however you like Joe, Uniden in my opinion
          > chose no manual and no software, to add a few bucks to there bank account.
          >
          > Mel

        • Walter Jinright
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
            I agree there, n harm, no foul, at least on my end not getting a paper
            manual. Besides, I can download and "study" the entire works of a unit even
            before purchase, so when "hands-on" starts, I know much more than if I
            pulled it from the box "cold".
            And sure, with awareness in this age of going "Green", @ the age of almost
            40, I have just begun doing "my part" in helping over the past few years.
            O.k., off topic a little, but what does it hurt to separate your
            plastics, paper, glass, metals, and organics (which can mostly go to compost
            if you garden)? In my area there are many "drop-off" containers, and it
            costs NOTHING to dispose of 95% of my "waste" that way!

            Sorry for going off topic, I just thought Larry was on a great subject there
            and hoped you didn't mind me adding that Gentlemen / Ladies (got to say that
            as I think I only "know" 1 person in the group, and do not want to offend
            any Ladies here :-)

            Walter Jinright
            KG4BVD

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
              I see this as positive and necessary because the Uniden online manual can
              be updated with each firmware update. That way I'm always looking at up to
              date information. And the firmware updates are free. I'll take those two
              positives over the "loss" of a paper manual.

              My $.02

              YMMV

              Thanks
              brad