Re: [BCD396XT] BCD396T/BCD396XT SMA connector

  • Walter Jinright
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 26, 2009
      I have a BNC to SMA adaptor that I used on my previous BCD396T that I connected to various antennas that were BNC, and the following antennas, one that was stock on a Yaesu FT-60R (Tx or Rx) , a multi-band BNC (Rx only), a VHF (Tx or Rx) BNC "high" (believe was 140's to 160's in MHz, and a UHF (Tx or Rx) that was on a radio I used in the 440 band and 460 public safety band.
      I will sell ALL, antennas and adaptor for $22 shipped to 48 US states, over-seas, contact for price quote.
      I just got rid of both of my 396 models for the new 996, the side button kept causing problems with using on my belt connector. I do not travel away from the house enough anyway, so the base models suit me better.

      These do not have to be used for the 396 alone, sure the adaptor is great for it, almost a MUST if you use a base antenna. But can be used on almost any BNC or SMA portable scanner or two-way.

      Walter Jinright
      kg4bvd

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 26, 2009
        SMA is SMA (aside from 'reversed SMA'). One of the two is not following
        the SMA specs. Since I've used several SMA antennas on the 396 and they
        all fit, I suspect it may be Laird that is the problem side. One of my
        favorite antennas is the dual band Tuf Duck which I don't think they
        make anymore (a shame since it works so well), but it is the BNC model.

        Joe M.

      • Dewey3@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
          I have the Laird UHF "stubby", and see the same thing.

          Dewey

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
            I've noticed the same thing using a Diamond SRH77CA. It does not seat down all the way.

            I had a 396 previously and didn't have this problem. I also was using the same king of antenna but this is a newer one I ordered for this radio so I'm not sure if it's an antenna or radio change.

            I sold the old radio/antenna to my neighbor so I can find out.

            Mike

            I have the Laird UHF "stubby", and see the same thing.

            Dewey

            Subj:[BCD396XT] BCD396T/BCD396XT SMA connector

            I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to - Icom or Vertex? Thanks

          • Mark Levine, D.C.
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
              Not at all

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
                I've spent some time googling and seem to be piecing together that indeed someone is not following spec. The trick is to figure out whether the Tuf Duck/Laird SM, SMV, or SMI is 'standard'. I'm kicking myself that I just sold an Icom R5 that I could have tested this with. Anyone have an Icom R2 factory antenna they can test on their 396? Since I have had SMA antennas which did not snug on the Icom either, leaving the same gap as the SM does on the 396 - and since I've found a site that says that Icom is 'standard SMA' and had a vendor tell me that the 396 is standard, I must conclude that I want the SMI variant. I'll still wait to hear back from Laird before buying.

                BTW - after two days with the 396XT I have to say that of the (literally) dozens of models of scanners I have owned/fixed, the XT is by far the best. The T was nice, but on the XT the audio is much clearer and the motorboating is gone. Also, the multi-site system feature is nice since all of South Dakota uses a 55+ site police/fire/CD/etc system.

                > SMA is SMA (aside from 'reversed SMA'). One of the two is not following
                > the SMA specs. Since I've used several SMA antennas on the 396 and they
                > all fit, I suspect it may be Laird that is the problem side. One of my
                > favorite antennas is the dual band Tuf Duck which I don't think they
                > make anymore (a shame since it works so well), but it is the BNC model.
                >
                > Joe M.
                >
                > bbtkdus wrote:
                > > I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to - Icom or Vertex? Thanks!
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
                  As long as the antenna is not loose on the connector and the center conductor is making contact with the socket in the center of the female SMA connector, the antenna should work fine. If you're concerned about athletics you might consider trying to put a round rubber piece or a rubber washer in between the body of the radio and the antenna. I have noticed with PL-259 connectors that not all of the male connectors have the same depth threads therefore not all cables or antennas fit all the way down over the threads. However they work just fine as long as the connection is tight.

                  Good luck,

                  Chris, KD0EGE

                  > I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to - Icom or Vertex? Thanks!

                • Richard A. Victor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
                    This page contains a reference to a gentleman that sells SMA to BNC
                    adapters. As you can see, he offers a number of different models and
                    lists the radios that each one is known to fit. The list may be
                    helpful in your effort to sort things out.

                    BTW, I'm very pleased with the two that I'm using on my 346XT and
                    396XT. I think that they are the BGA-76 version. Nothing wrong with
                    the ones that came with the scanners, but I find the ones from KC2 preferable.

                    Dick

                    At 01:28 PM 9/27/2009, you wrote:
                    >I've spent some time googling and seem to be piecing together that
                    >indeed someone is not following spec. The trick is to figure out
                    >whether the Tuf Duck/Laird SM, SMV, or SMI is 'standard'. I'm
                    >kicking myself that I just sold an Icom R5 that I could have tested
                    >this with. Anyone have an Icom R2 factory antenna they can test on
                    >their 396? Since I have had SMA antennas which did not snug on the
                    >Icom either, leaving the same gap as the SM does on the 396 - and
                    >since I've found a site that says that Icom is 'standard SMA' and
                    >had a vendor tell me that the 396 is standard, I must conclude that
                    >I want the SMI variant. I'll still wait to hear back from Laird before buying.
                    >
                    >BTW - after two days with the 396XT I have to say that of the
                    >(literally) dozens of models of scanners I have owned/fixed, the XT
                    >is by far the best. The T was nice, but on the XT the audio is much
                    >clearer and the motorboating is gone. Also, the multi-site system
                    >feature is nice since all of South Dakota uses a 55+ site
                    >police/fire/CD/etc system.
                    >
                    >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > SMA is SMA (aside from 'reversed SMA'). One of the two is not following
                    > > the SMA specs. Since I've used several SMA antennas on the 396 and they
                    > > all fit, I suspect it may be Laird that is the problem side. One of my
                    > > favorite antennas is the dual band Tuf Duck which I don't think they
                    > > make anymore (a shame since it works so well), but it is the BNC model.
                    > >
                    > > Joe M.
                    > >
                    > > bbtkdus wrote:
                    > > > I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my
                    > BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of
                    > the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same
                    > story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and
                    > duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for
                    > Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a
                    > deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA
                    > connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to -
                    > Icom or Vertex? Thanks!
                  • Richard A. Victor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
                      Sorry.

                      Here's the link that should have been included, of course.

                      http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/index.html

                      At 01:28 PM 9/27/2009, you wrote:
                      >I've spent some time googling and seem to be piecing together that
                      >indeed someone is not following spec. The trick is to figure out
                      >whether the Tuf Duck/Laird SM, SMV, or SMI is 'standard'. I'm
                      >kicking myself that I just sold an Icom R5 that I could have tested
                      >this with. Anyone have an Icom R2 factory antenna they can test on
                      >their 396? Since I have had SMA antennas which did not snug on the
                      >Icom either, leaving the same gap as the SM does on the 396 - and
                      >since I've found a site that says that Icom is 'standard SMA' and
                      >had a vendor tell me that the 396 is standard, I must conclude that
                      >I want the SMI variant. I'll still wait to hear back from Laird before buying.
                      >
                      >BTW - after two days with the 396XT I have to say that of the
                      >(literally) dozens of models of scanners I have owned/fixed, the XT
                      >is by far the best. The T was nice, but on the XT the audio is much
                      >clearer and the motorboating is gone. Also, the multi-site system
                      >feature is nice since all of South Dakota uses a 55+ site
                      >police/fire/CD/etc system.
                      >
                      >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > SMA is SMA (aside from 'reversed SMA'). One of the two is not following
                      > > the SMA specs. Since I've used several SMA antennas on the 396 and they
                      > > all fit, I suspect it may be Laird that is the problem side. One of my
                      > > favorite antennas is the dual band Tuf Duck which I don't think they
                      > > make anymore (a shame since it works so well), but it is the BNC model.
                      > >
                      > > Joe M.
                      > >
                      > > bbtkdus wrote:
                      > > > I recently got a Tuf Duck (Laird) EXS150SM duck for use on my
                      > BCD396XT and found that it apparently uses a different variant of
                      > the SMA than the 396 does. Tried it on my 396T and same
                      > story. When screwed on there is a 1/8" gap between the radio and
                      > duck. They also make an EXS150SMI for Icom and an EXS150SMV for
                      > Vertex (Standard/Yaesu). Apparently the 396 takes an SMA with a
                      > deeper socket. Anyone have any experience with different SMA
                      > connectors and perhaps know what the Uniden SMA is similar to -
                      > Icom or Vertex? Thanks!
                    • bbtkdus
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 27, 2009
                        I am an engineer so it bothers me when things are not quite correct. I am mostly worried about stressing the connector and the base snugging against the case would reduce the stress on the connector. A washer would work I suppose, but still not correct.

                      • dmccorm@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 28, 2009
                          I believe the connector that Vertex/Standard are not the same specification that the Uniden connector uses. Maybe your looking at aesthetics, but I personally use the RadioShack 800MHz antenna for most of my handheld monitoring. It's wide banded enough, beyond the 800MHz, that it works well with the T and XT handhelds, so here is what I did:
                          http://forums.radioreference.com/antennas-coax-forum/147334-radioshack-800mhz-antenna-mod.html

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 28, 2009
                            I found a cross-section comparison of the SMV and SM antenna bases, and the SMV (Vertex) is inset into the antenna, probably too much for the 396. The SM is shown to be quite shallow, so I'll get the SMI which should be in-between.

                            Around here everything used to be UHF but is now all VHF including the statewide digital system so I'm switching to a 3.5" duck tuned for 150 to 162MHz, the EXS150SMI. I'll also pick up the 6" EXB150SMI sometime. I like the shorter antennas for day-to-day around town use.