Re: [BCD396XT] BCD396XT A Year Away?

  • johnstark
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
      UH? You can still sell your old scanners, I have some that are 30 and 40
      years old. Granted you won't get what you paid but you'll get something.

      BTW, when your ready to unload the "old" stuff let me know....

      JS

      From: JAN FINE <janfine@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 9:36 PM

      I feel the same way as you Ken.
      On top of it I'm a school teacher and had 2 weeks off to play with the new
      radio I don't have yet. I sold off most of my scanners except a bare min.
      Want to grab up 1 of each new scanner that comes out.

      From: MCH <mch@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup s..com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 1:50 PM

      That's not exactly true. The only thing they cannot do is sell or OFFER
      it for sale in the USA. They can produce it without TA.

      The issue of it not receiving TA is a non-issue since it only has to
      meet certain specs, and the manufacturers know what those specs are. All
      TA means is that it has been certified to meet those specs and the FCC
      has accepted that proof. That certification isn't even done by the FCC -
      it's done by an outside company and submitted to the FCC with the
      original application, so they know if it meets the specs before
      receiving FCC TA.

      Also, I've seen products out within days of receiving FCC TA. Not that I
      expect that to happen in this case, but it's not as if the product
      cannot be made before TA has been received.

      Joe M.

      Don.Curtis@att. net wrote:
      > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge
      > gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for
      > whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been
      > manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is
      > made.
      >
      > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That
      > means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where
      > the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the
      > actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in
      > place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the
      > shipping issue... Distribution issue and so forth.
      >
      > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's
      > shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
      >

      > ------------ -- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@columbus.
      > rr.com>: ------------ --
      >
      > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long
      > now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

      Database version: 5.11440
      http://www.pctools com/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

      Database version: 5.11440
      http://www.pctools com/en/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

    • JAN FINE
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
        I sold BC996, BC15, ICOMR1500, and Pro96.
        I'm keeping my BC245 to run Unitrunker. I will not need that when the new scanners come out. Not worth selling. I kept my BC396D for digital use and will sell that when the new scanners come out. My BC246 I will keep. I love the battery consumption on that one. I keep it in my car and use it for PD & FD Dispatch. The only thing about it is the lack of quick keys. I will start with a BC396xt and BC346. Then I'll move to the desk top scanners when they come out. I'm redoing my whole shack. I still keep the BC895 for home PD dispatch and as a second radio for unitrunker.

        Don.Curtis@att. net wrote:
        > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge
        > gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for
        > whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been
        > manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is
        > made.
        >
        > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That
        > means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where
        > the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the
        > actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in
        > place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the
        > shipping issue... Distribution issue and so forth.
        >
        > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's
        > shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
        >

        > ------------ -- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@columbus.
        > rr.com>: ------------ --
        >
        > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long
        > now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
          I kind of feel the same. (No sweaty palms, though. Temp is about 5
          above zero here :-) From what I've seen, this scanner will make this
          die-hard GRE guy switch sides. The GRE thing goes back a ways and is a
          long story regarding what Uniden did (or more specifically didn't do)
          years back. Soured me for a long time on anything Uniden of any product
          line. They've finally proposed a product that if it performs as
          advertised will get me to turn over some hard-earned cash to purchase
          one.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
            How about the -45F we have here, worst with some wind now and then?....
            Yeah, that's 45 below zero and about to get colder by Friday. :(

            On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mike <pyro68@...> wrote:

            > I kind of feel the same. (No sweaty palms, though. Temp is about 5
            > above zero here :-)

          • Paul Opitz
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
              It was 75 here, yesterday. Skinny-dipping weather.

              Ok, now that everyone north of the Red River thoroughly despises me...

              Have a great 2009. I have no doubt that you will see good things coming from us in the coming year (if not all in the 1st quarter). As milestones pass and I can say more, I will.

              Have a safe New Years Eve, and thanks for all you've done to make our 2008 good and 2009 exceptional.

              Paul