Multi-site functionality

  • jad270
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
      There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
      out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
      as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
      re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
      be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
      scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
      find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
      conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
      different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
      up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
      development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
      generation of scanner development.
    • JETorres
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
        The wiki for this radio does mention "Multi-Site support": http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT
        And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.

        Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and
        if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
        PSR-500/600.

        On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:

        > There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
        > out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
        > as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
        > re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
        > be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
        > scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
        > find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
        > conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
        > different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
        > up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
        > development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
        > generation of scanner development.
      • Jacob
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
          Yeah I wonder. Thanks for responding JETorres. Thought know one cared at this point. Where is Mike from Kansas that also had the same problem? I have this issue with CT State Police. If you live on the troop borders you will see this come up. Old Lyme PD is part of Troop F but borders Troop E. If the police move into the eastern part of town, they suddenly jump onto different voice and control channels. I only discovered this by pressing scan continuously once the conversation I was listening to suddenly went dead then realized that I could pick them up on a different zone.

          And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.

          Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and

          if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE

          PSR-500/600.

          On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:

          > There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came

          > out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops

          > as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and

          > re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would

          > be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio

          > scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to

          > find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a

          > conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a

          > different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it

          > up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's

          > development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another

          > generation of scanner development.

        • Frank Leidy
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
            I would also like a hint at how the mutli-site would work. Is it a "first
            lock" operation, or would it listen on all sites that a programmed into the
            radio.

            I can think of three great examples where the latter would be nice to have.
            OK. There's really 4, but the one example is very local to me. Ohio's
            MARCS, Indiana's SAFE-T net, and South Carolina's SCANA all essentially work
            the same way. You really have to be listening to multiple sites some times
            to be able to hold a conversation.

            I'm currently within scanning distance to at least two MARCS towers. It
            would be nice to have both towers in one system and scan them both.

            Paul, can you throw us a bone on this one?

            Thanks,
            Frank

            > The wiki for this radio does mention "Multi-Site support":
            > http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT
            > And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.
            >
            > Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and
            > if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
            > PSR-500/600.
            >

            > On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:
            >
            >> There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
            >> out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
            >> as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
            >> re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
            >> be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
            >> scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
            >> find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
            >> conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
            >> different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
            >> up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
            >> development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
            >> generation of scanner development.

          • uniden.upman
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
              it will work just like the BCD996T /
              BCT15.

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com,

              wrote:

              > > There was quite a bit of debate on
              the 396 forum when it first came
              > > out regarding the ability to hold on
              a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
              > > as the transmitting radio travels
              through the coverage area and
              > > re-affiliates with different sites
              within the radio system. It would
              > > be nice to be able to stop on a
              particular talkgroup and let the radio
              > > scan all receivable control channels
              within a system while holding to
              > > find or track the talkgroup. It's a
              pain to be listening to a
              > > conversation that disappears
              because the conversation has moved to
              > > different site, control, and voice
              channel. Just thought I'd bring it
              > > up again, as last time (Feb/Mar
              2005) it was too late in the 396's
              > > development cycle and here we are
              again on the doorstep of another
              > > generation of scanner
              development.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
                I'm sure it works very much like (if not identical to) the BCD996T.

                Joe M.

                JETorres wrote:
                > The wiki for this radio does mention "Multi-Site support": http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT
                > And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.
                >
                > Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and
                > if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
                > PSR-500/600.
                >

                > On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:
                >
                >> There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
                >> out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
                >> as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
                >> re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
                >> be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
                >> scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
                >> find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
                >> conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
                >> different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
                >> up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
                >> development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
                >> generation of scanner development.

              • johnstark
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 18, 2008
                  SAFET shouldn't be an issue, if a unit has been logged onto a particular
                  tower and changes towers it will still come across the first tower and vice
                  versa. Units that have not registered with a particular tower though will
                  not be heard. ie: if that radio has transmitted through that tower it will
                  be able to be heard through even when on a another nearby tower. Of course
                  if you don't have the TG ID in the list (and unlocked) when on ID scan
                  you'll still hear it. Same if your in ID Search except the ID doesn't need
                  to be in the list. Thats how the 996 works. The difference is you'll be able
                  to have more ID in the lists with the new 396XT as well as all the tower
                  sites according to the wiki specs.

                  SAFET is nice in the fact you can hear units through towers other the one
                  they are using. I listen to a number of departments well outside the normal
                  range of the tower sites I'm actually monitoring. I hear Batholomew Co.
                  Sheriff through the Fairland tower in Shelby Co. and Bartholomew Co is 50
                  miles away, or like tonight I'm in Rushville, Rush Co. and listening to
                  everything going on in ISP Dist. 51 (Indy) through both the Fairland and
                  Rush Co tower sites on the 996 in the car sitting in a school parking lot.
                  Yup, Fairland tower was coming through strong all the way in Rush Co 35-40
                  miles away.

                  Anyway, the multisite will be nice in the 396 package, and if it's like the
                  996 it will work great.

                  >I would also like a hint at how the mutli-site would work. Is it a "first
                  > lock" operation, or would it listen on all sites that a programmed into
                  > the
                  > radio.
                  >
                  > I can think of three great examples where the latter would be nice to
                  > have.
                  > OK. There's really 4, but the one example is very local to me. Ohio's
                  > MARCS, Indiana's SAFE-T net, and South Carolina's SCANA all essentially
                  > work
                  > the same way. You really have to be listening to multiple sites some
                  > times
                  > to be able to hold a conversation.
                  >
                  > I'm currently within scanning distance to at least two MARCS towers. It
                  > would be nice to have both towers in one system and scan them both.
                  >
                  > Paul, can you throw us a bone on this one?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Frank

                • Paul Opitz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 19, 2008
                    I replied from my phone last night and didn't realize it had not loaded all of Joe's message...I just got to read all of it.

                    If you hold on a TGID, it will only watch the current site, not others. If it was set up to look for the ID on other sites, you would more often than not miss most traffic. Each site would require a significant part of a second to tune and receive existing channel activity. So, if it were to say have 5 sites to check, on average you'd enter every comm on the channel about 2.5 seconds late.

                    The most likely place for a comm to resume is on the site it was last on. Having it hold the current site will maintain reception of the TGID in the vast majority of instances.

                    You could try this yourself by putting a TGID that is only active on one site in a channel group by itself, enabling only that channel group, then having it scan multiple receivable sites.

                    And I also seen something about it on the official press realease.

                    Maybe Paul O. can elaborate a little more on how it works and such and
                    if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
                    PSR-500/600.

                    On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:46 PM, jad270 wrote:

                    > There was quite a bit of debate on the 396 forum when it first came
                    > out regarding the ability to hold on a talkgroup that site (zone) hops
                    > as the transmitting radio travels through the coverage area and
                    > re-affiliates with different sites within the radio system. It would
                    > be nice to be able to stop on a particular talkgroup and let the radio
                    > scan all receivable control channels within a system while holding to
                    > find or track the talkgroup. It's a pain to be listening to a
                    > conversation that disappears because the conversation has moved to a
                    > different site, control, and voice channel. Just thought I'd bring it
                    > up again, as last time (Feb/Mar 2005) it was too late in the 396's
                    > development cycle and here we are again on the doorstep of another
                    > generation of scanner development.

                  • roxie2401
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
                      Joe,

                      Can you possibly describe for us lay-people how multi-site works on the
                      GRE units and how it apparently will differ on the BDC396XT? I guess I
                      don't fully understand the GRE workings.

                      Thanks

                      > if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
                      > PSR-500/600.

                    • johnstark
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
                        In short the 600 uses one scan list for all the sites in a multisite system.
                        But you can also use more than one scan list for a site and vice versa.
                        Basically you can enter something once but use it multiple times

                        > Can you possibly describe for us lay-people how multi-site works on the
                        > GRE units and how it apparently will differ on the BDC396XT? I guess I
                        > don't fully understand the GRE workings.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >

                        >> if it virtually works like how we have it already on the GRE
                        >> PSR-500/600.

                      • JETorres
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 27, 2008
                          Basically and the definition I'm using for "Multi-Site" is:

                          Pausing on a trunked system talkgroup and have the scanner track the
                          TG across all the programmed control channels for the system.

                          This is useful when tracking "roaming" users on a system since there's
                          no way to know which site they might be affiliated to at any given
                          time. If you stick to one control channel only and the user has since
                          moved on to a different site, you'll miss his subsequent
                          transmissions. The latest GRE models offer this feature. From Paul
                          O.'s earlier response, the Uniden models including the upcoming
                          BCD396XT do not have this feature.