Re: [BCD396XT] 396 display mode

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
      You're seeing the technical info for the digital decoding as well as the
      bit error rate.

      For encrypted transmissions the scanner ignores them.
      No sense in sticking on a channel you cannot hear, right?

      Joe M.

    • pitboss1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
        Thanks mch can u explain the bt err rate nt sure what that means thanks. Tony

        From: MCH <mch@...>

        Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:34:41
        To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396 display mode

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
          Think of it as a digital s-meter.

          On a perfect signal the scanner will accurately decode every bit sent.

          As the signal gets weak, it may miss some bits. Let's say it's decoding
          9 out of every 10. The ERR rate will be 90% (which is really an
          anti-error rate, but we won't go there). At this point, the error
          correction should still be able to fill in the missing pieces.

          The weaker the signal, the less bits that are accurately decoded. Around
          60% or so you will notice that there are so many missed bits the error
          correction cannot compensate and the signal will 'go digital' for the
          most part.

          If your ERR rate is down to 10%, there isn't enough data left to decode
          anything reliably.

          I'm not sure about the exact point where you lose the digital signal,
          but it should be close to what I said. It still gives you the idea
          behind the info.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
            Nice thanks

            From: MCH <mch@...>

            Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:47:16
            To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

            pitboss1@... wrote:
            > Thanks mch can u explain the bt err rate nt sure what that means thanks. Tony

            > From: MCH <mch@...>
            >
            > Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:34:41
            > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396 display mode
            >

            > You're seeing the technical info for the digital decoding as well as the
            > bit error rate.
            >
            > For encrypted transmissions the scanner ignores them.
            > No sense in sticking on a channel you cannot hear, right?
            >
            > Joe M.
            >
            > pitboss1 wrote:
            >> in a digital system when your in the f+tap cntrl nob, what does it mean for the specs ie, auto slash err---, and the t and numbers down below. and shoudnt it in display mode 1 when there is a encrypted trans, show enc???? thanks for your help guys.... ps check out my feed of the san bernardino county sheriffs dept. system one on rr good stuff...

          • David Nordmann
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
              I acccidentlly got the S-meter to show up. Could you explain how to get back
              again..........................On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM, MCH<

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
                FUNC SCROLL FUNC SCROLL.

                Also, I was confusing the XT with another model. The ERR rate is
                actually an ERR rate and lower is better. Reverse the numbers I posted.
                a 9 out of 10 decode would show as a 10% ERR rate, and a 40% ERR rate
                would go digital, and a 90 ERR rate would mean only 10% decoded
                correctly and result in no audio.

                Joe M.

              • Dan Danz
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009
                  Geez, Joe . I get better decode as the err rate approaches 0, and it becomes
                  intolerable about 70 or so.

                  I think your description was just backwards. It is really error rate, not
                  anti-error rate.

                  Dan Danz (WA5SKM)

                  Fountain Hills AZ

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009