396 display mode

  • pitboss1
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
      in a digital system when your in the f+tap cntrl nob, what does it mean for the specs ie, auto slash err---, and the t and numbers down below. and shoudnt it in display mode 1 when there is a encrypted trans, show enc???? thanks for your help guys.... ps check out my feed of the san bernardino county sheriffs dept. system one on rr good stuff...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
        You're seeing the technical info for the digital decoding as well as the
        bit error rate.

        For encrypted transmissions the scanner ignores them.
        No sense in sticking on a channel you cannot hear, right?

        Joe M.

      • pitboss1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
          Thanks mch can u explain the bt err rate nt sure what that means thanks. Tony

          From: MCH <mch@...>

          Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:34:41
          To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396 display mode

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
            Think of it as a digital s-meter.

            On a perfect signal the scanner will accurately decode every bit sent.

            As the signal gets weak, it may miss some bits. Let's say it's decoding
            9 out of every 10. The ERR rate will be 90% (which is really an
            anti-error rate, but we won't go there). At this point, the error
            correction should still be able to fill in the missing pieces.

            The weaker the signal, the less bits that are accurately decoded. Around
            60% or so you will notice that there are so many missed bits the error
            correction cannot compensate and the signal will 'go digital' for the
            most part.

            If your ERR rate is down to 10%, there isn't enough data left to decode
            anything reliably.

            I'm not sure about the exact point where you lose the digital signal,
            but it should be close to what I said. It still gives you the idea
            behind the info.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2009
              Nice thanks

              From: MCH <mch@...>

              Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:47:16
              To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>

              pitboss1@... wrote:
              > Thanks mch can u explain the bt err rate nt sure what that means thanks. Tony

              > From: MCH <mch@...>
              >
              > Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 00:34:41
              > To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] 396 display mode
              >

              > You're seeing the technical info for the digital decoding as well as the
              > bit error rate.
              >
              > For encrypted transmissions the scanner ignores them.
              > No sense in sticking on a channel you cannot hear, right?
              >
              > Joe M.
              >
              > pitboss1 wrote:
              >> in a digital system when your in the f+tap cntrl nob, what does it mean for the specs ie, auto slash err---, and the t and numbers down below. and shoudnt it in display mode 1 when there is a encrypted trans, show enc???? thanks for your help guys.... ps check out my feed of the san bernardino county sheriffs dept. system one on rr good stuff...

            • David Nordmann
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
                I acccidentlly got the S-meter to show up. Could you explain how to get back
                again..........................On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM, MCH<

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
                  FUNC SCROLL FUNC SCROLL.

                  Also, I was confusing the XT with another model. The ERR rate is
                  actually an ERR rate and lower is better. Reverse the numbers I posted.
                  a 9 out of 10 decode would show as a 10% ERR rate, and a 40% ERR rate
                  would go digital, and a 90 ERR rate would mean only 10% decoded
                  correctly and result in no audio.

                  Joe M.

                • Dan Danz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009
                    Geez, Joe . I get better decode as the err rate approaches 0, and it becomes
                    intolerable about 70 or so.

                    I think your description was just backwards. It is really error rate, not
                    anti-error rate.

                    Dan Danz (WA5SKM)

                    Fountain Hills AZ

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2009