Re: [BCD396XT] BCD396XT A Year Away?

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
      I would bet you're right. When was it announced? The announcement is
      usually not more than 6 months from release, and I think the
      announcement was made in August (which would make release February).

      Joe M.

      Bill wrote:
      > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

    • Peter Laws
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 14:55, Dan Danz <dan.danz@...> wrote:

        > Do you really think you could go into your nearby GM dealer, tell them
        > you weren't going to buy the current model because you were waiting for
        > the 2010 model that you saw on GM's web pages, and expect them to get
        > on the phone and tell GM they had to have that model right now because
        > ryanisflyboy wants one? I suspect they'd still be ROFLTAO.

        Bad example - GM dealers would do *anything* for you if they thought
        you were going to buy a car from them!

        No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!
      • Ryan
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
          I guess the point of my original post was ill conceived. I apologize
          if this has caused any misunderstanding. My goal was to:

          1) Ask if anyone knew of any more current official announcements
          following FCC approval.

          2) Ask if you thought the sales rep at Scanner Master was correct. By
          these posts, I can see you generally do not feel he is correct.

          3) Invite people to ask retailers about the scanner.

          I do not advocate 'browbeating' any one. Especially retailers. That
          would do no good. However, I fail to see the harm in simply asking a
          retailer the following: "I know the BCD396XT isn't available yet, but
          would you please give me a call when it is?"

          And yes, I do expect that dealers will listen to their customers. Not
          one customer, but many. If several customers called saying "I'm not
          interested in buying the old model because I'm waiting for the new
          model to come out. Could you please tell me when it is available?" is
          going to get some attention. Without that information, they are left
          to fill in the blank with "economic crisis," "no interest," or some
          other excuse.

          Will this speed up the availability of the scanner? Maybe, but
          probably not. I fail to see the harm in doing so though. In fact, I
          see it generating interest, buzz, and excitement about a product that
          is sure to be a big hit.
        • Richard Bauer
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
            me....i can't wait for the XT to be introduced as i'm hoping to pick up a
            396T on sale somewhere.

            '73,
            rich, n9dko
            www.bananaboatbytes.com
            10:48 AM
          • JAN FINE
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
              No one knows more than UPMAN. That doesn't mean he is telling.
              When he wants us to know, you will know.

[...]

              Database version: 5.11430

              Database version: 5.11430

            • MICHAEL & LAUREEN
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008

              • Don.Curtis@att.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                  Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is made.

                  It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the shipping issue. Distribution issue and so forth.

                  I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.

                  -------------- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                    That's not exactly true. The only thing they cannot do is sell or OFFER
                    it for sale in the USA. They can produce it without TA.

                    The issue of it not receiving TA is a non-issue since it only has to
                    meet certain specs, and the manufacturers know what those specs are. All
                    TA means is that it has been certified to meet those specs and the FCC
                    has accepted that proof. That certification isn't even done by the FCC -
                    it's done by an outside company and submitted to the FCC with the
                    original application, so they know if it meets the specs before
                    receiving FCC TA.

                    Also, I've seen products out within days of receiving FCC TA. Not that I
                    expect that to happen in this case, but it's not as if the product
                    cannot be made before TA has been received.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                      That's why I said they'd be taking a huge GAMBLE. I didn't say they couldn't make them, they can make anything they want....but as you noted....who care what you make, if you can't sell it?

                      And you think that's not an issue...tell that to XM/Sirius. They just paid a $27 MILLION fine plus had to retro-fit ALL existing radios of certain series, because even thought type accepted....their FM modulators were out of spec. The production models didn't match the engineering models.

                      I'm well aware that the FCC accepts outside engineering reports, etc. But are you aware, that the FCC is known to pull production units and test them to insure that the specs are still being met? Especially if they get complaints about units being out of spec.

                      Yes....Uniden has NO incentive to create an out-of-spec radio, but that doesn't mean they're willing to gamble a big production run only to have an issue later on.

                      Again...my comments were a GUESS, what Uniden (or anyone else) is actually doing is their business, not mine.

                      -------------- Original message from MCH <mch@...>: --------------

                      Don.Curtis@... wrote:
                      > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is made.
                      >
                      > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the shipping issue. Distribution issue and so forth.
                      >
                      > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
                      >

                      > -------------- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@...>: --------------
                      >
                      > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

                    • Ken Proctor
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                        I don't know about the rest of you but, I'm gettin' itchy fingers and sweaty palms in anticipation of the new version of the -396.  I was literally days from placing my order when I learned that a new version with changes/improvements (like changeable colors for the display, etc.) that I was SOOOOoooooo thankful that such changes had been made.  I feel like a seasoned gunslinger with my itchy hands on my wallet (containing my charge card).  HELP ME COPE !!!!!!!

                        Ok, I feel better now.

                        Ken, N2DQD
                        Brick, NJ

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                          Good reply, Don.  I felt your frustration but you did a great job of keeping it cool.  I applaud you.  Joe, I appreciated your comments as well as both of you gave me some valuable insight into what REALLY goes on with such matters.  My hat goes off to both of you with respect.

                          Ken

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                            Well, when you make something different than you submitted for TA, that
                            will happen - even if it's made years after TA was received.

                            Joe M.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                              I feel the same way as you Ken.
                              On top of it I'm a school teacher and had 2 weeks off to play with the new radio I don't have yet. I sold off most of my scanners except a bare min. Want to grab up 1 of each new scanner that comes out.

                              Don.Curtis@att. net wrote:
                              > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is made.
                              >
                              > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the shipping issue.. Distribution issue and so forth.
                              >
                              > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
                              >

                              > ------------ -- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@columbus. rr.com>: ------------ --
                              >
                              > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

                              Database version: 5.11440

                              Database version: 5.11440

                            • Ken Proctor
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                                Jan,

                                If I got rid of my older scanners, I'd have to GIVE them away.  Yep, it's been too @#$%#$#& long since I was good to myself.  Effective the date the new radio comes out, that's all gonna start ... and end.

                                Don.Curtis@att. net wrote:
                                > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is made.
                                >
                                > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the shipping issue... Distribution issue and so forth.
                                >
                                > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
                                >

                                > ------------ -- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@columbus. rr.com>: ------------ --
                                >
                                > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

                                http://www.pctools com/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

                                Database version: 5.11440
                                http://www.pctools com/en/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

                              • johnstark
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                                  UH? You can still sell your old scanners, I have some that are 30 and 40
                                  years old. Granted you won't get what you paid but you'll get something.

                                  BTW, when your ready to unload the "old" stuff let me know....

                                  JS

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
                                    I sold BC996, BC15, ICOMR1500, and Pro96.
                                    I'm keeping my BC245 to run Unitrunker. I will not need that when the new scanners come out. Not worth selling. I kept my BC396D for digital use and will sell that when the new scanners come out. My BC246 I will keep. I love the battery consumption on that one. I keep it in my car and use it for PD & FD Dispatch. The only thing about it is the lack of quick keys. I will start with a BC396xt and BC346. Then I'll move to the desk top scanners when they come out. I'm redoing my whole shack. I still keep the BC895 for home PD dispatch and as a second radio for unitrunker.

                                    Don.Curtis@att. net wrote:
                                    > Until they get type acceptance, a manufacturer would be taking a huge
                                    > gamble if they already had started the production lines. If the FCC, for
                                    > whatever reason, denied the acceptance ALL the radios that had been
                                    > manufactured would have to be re-manufactured once type acceptance is
                                    > made.
                                    >
                                    > It is rare production facility that isn't booked well in advance. That
                                    > means, once they get production approval, there's a period of time where
                                    > the actual production has to be scheduled. One would presume that the
                                    > actual production facility is already ready (all tools and machines in
                                    > place that are specific to whatever is being built). And then there's the
                                    > shipping issue... Distribution issue and so forth.
                                    >
                                    > I *suggest* a minimum of 6 weeks from type acceptance to on dealer's
                                    > shelves. That is a pure GUESS on my part.
                                    >

                                    > ------------ -- Original message from "Bill" <wamann@columbus.
                                    > rr.com>: ------------ --
                                    >
                                    > My 2 cents worth but if it has been accepted by the FCC it won't be long
                                    > now. Just a few weeks I would guess. Anyone else??

                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
                                      I kind of feel the same. (No sweaty palms, though. Temp is about 5
                                      above zero here :-) From what I've seen, this scanner will make this
                                      die-hard GRE guy switch sides. The GRE thing goes back a ways and is a
                                      long story regarding what Uniden did (or more specifically didn't do)
                                      years back. Soured me for a long time on anything Uniden of any product
                                      line. They've finally proposed a product that if it performs as
                                      advertised will get me to turn over some hard-earned cash to purchase
                                      one.

                                      Mike

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
                                        How about the -45F we have here, worst with some wind now and then?....
                                        Yeah, that's 45 below zero and about to get colder by Friday. :(

                                        On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mike <pyro68@...> wrote:

                                        > I kind of feel the same. (No sweaty palms, though. Temp is about 5
                                        > above zero here :-)

                                      • Paul Opitz
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 31, 2008
                                          It was 75 here, yesterday. Skinny-dipping weather.

                                          Ok, now that everyone north of the Red River thoroughly despises me...

                                          Have a great 2009. I have no doubt that you will see good things coming from us in the coming year (if not all in the 1st quarter). As milestones pass and I can say more, I will.

                                          Have a safe New Years Eve, and thanks for all you've done to make our 2008 good and 2009 exceptional.

                                          Paul