Too bad

  • RJH
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2009
      I feel sorry for all the people having trouble with these scanners and more
      sorry for the loyal list members who have to suffer for years with each new
      member who can't get it. They are still whining over on the 246 list, how
      long has that thing been out, 2004?

      I guess if there is a silver lining, it's the fact that most people don't
      have these problems.

      I still think that if people read the manual this isn't rocket science,
      secondly, I don't understand why the people who started this list didn't
      start a second help list to take the frustration traffic off the main list.

      I haven't complained for months to a year and I won't again for a year, just
      trying to represent the silent majority out there who are too polite to say
      anything.

      These is a wealth of information out there between the 246T, 396T and 396XT
      please go to the archives first.

      Good luck,

      Ray

      _____

      From: John <threat0@tampabay. <mailto:threat0%40tampabay.rr.com> rr.com>
      Subject: [BCD396XT] Recommendations for New BCD396XLT Owners (Save Yourself)
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
      Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 11:45 PM

      find it at http://www.proscan. org. I paid $50 bucks for another package the
[...]

      f%29> to group | Reply
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJybTI1OG1pBF9TAzk3Mz
      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUyBHNlYwNkbX
      NnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-?act=reply&messageNum=2552> via web
      post
      Messages
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/message/2551;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Njg2MWc4BF
      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUyBH
      NlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjYEdHBjSWQDMjU1MQ--> in this
      topic (4)
      1c.

      Re: Recommendations for New BCD396XLT Owners (Save Yourself)
      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUzBH
      NlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY->

      Posted by: "John" threat0@...
      <mailto:threat0@...?Subject=
      Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%20BCD396XLT%20Owners%20%28Save%20Yoursel
      f%29> threatalyzer <http://profiles.yahoo.com/threatalyzer>

      Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:39 pm (PDT)

      I will be moving my main system over to Windows 7 64bit very soon. I have
      been told by some very smart guys that the USB to serial sw driver will work
      like a champ on it.

      Luckily I had a 32 bit Vista Ultimate laptop to use until then.

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Jeff
      Miller <jafarm66@...> wrote:

      > I got the USB-Serial cable working under Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. It took
      installing the CD then upgrading to the latest drivers and reinstalling that
      update to latest drivers. Note: With the 64 Bit Vista I have to reinstall
      the drivers whenever program my GRE 500 and reinstall again when I do the
      396XT. This is not fun but it works.

      Yourself)

      can find it at http://www.proscan. org. I paid $50 bucks for another package
      the scanner vendor recommended. I tossed it. I just paid the $50 for the
      Proscan. Worth every penny. Believe it.

      > 3. If you decide to NOT follow #2 - then good luck getting your USB to
      serial working. The *other* products have real problems indicating if you
      have a good connection, or ANY connection at all. You will fuss and fuss and
      waste countless hours thinking you have finally figured it out and then NO
      JOY..

      > I have not even cracked open the manual yet and my 396XLT is jamming.
      >
      > One more thing:
      >
      > 4. All scanner software depends on a good database (list) of scanner
      frequencies. All scanner data files are NOT CREATED EQUAL!! Your scanner is
      worthless if you improperly configure the TRUNKS. You do not have a choice.
      You have to invest in the best data feed. HANDS DOWN, www.radioreference.
      com is the best. Forget Radio Shack. It is incomplete and barely better than
      useless. SPEND THE $30 a YEAR and subscribe to the Radio Reference Premium
      service. Proscan will then link directly to your account and you can really
      enjoy your scanner investment. The you will have a computer controlled
      scanner with a PC display so you don't have to mess with the clumsy controls
      on the handheld unit.

      > Do these 4 things and you will be pleased.
      > Worth every penny.
      >
      > If this advice was on my Quick Start Guide I would have had this working
      14 days ago.

      Back to top <>
      <mailto:threat0@...?Subject=Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%
      20BCD396XLT%20Owners%20%28Save%20Yourself%29> to sender | Reply
      <mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com?Subject=
      Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%20BCD396XLT%20Owners%20%28Save%20Yoursel
      f%29> to group | Reply
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJycG51MjZjBF9TAzk3Mz
      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUzBHNlYwNkbX
      NnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-?act=reply&messageNum=2553> via web
      post
      Messages
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/message/2551;_ylc=X3oDMTM2bmM1NXA3BF
      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUzBH
      NlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjYEdHBjSWQDMjU1MQ--> in this
      topic (4)
      1d.

      Re: Recommendations for New BCD396XLT Owners (Save Yourself)
      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTU0BH
      NlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY->

      Posted by: "MCH" mch@... <mailto:mch@...?Subject=
      Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%20BCD396XLT%20Owners%20%28Save%20Yoursel
      f%29> NCC74656_USS_Voyager
      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/NCC74656_USS_Voyager>

      Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 pm (PDT)

      Threaded...

      John wrote:
      > I hope this post finds you mentally sane. I hope you have not thrown the
      thing into the creek yet.

      > I have been frustrated for several days trying to make this new BCD396XLT
      useful. However finally I have hit the motherload and it is awesome.

      > But it came with a very high price in technological frustration. I could
      write a 3 page post of my pain points but I will instead stick with the FAST
      TRACK to "joy". Not that this is any indication of my "scan-aptitude" but I
      have an Extra Class Amateur Radio license and this was still a challenge.

      > Recommendations:
      >
      > 1. Do *not* try to get your USB to serial cable working on XP 64. It is
      just not worth the frustration if you have ANY other option. I could not get
      it to work and I have 20 years of computer experience. Perhaps it was a
      patience issue. I recommend you just go down the Best Buy and get yourself a
      SERIAL CARD for your computer. Forget USB to serial for XP 64.

      Yep. Heard of many serial issues with 64 bit systems. Not the scanner's
      fault or any reason to blame the scanner.

      > 2. Do *not* buy any other software for your scanner except PROSCAN. You
      can find it at http://www.proscan. <http://www.proscan.org.> org. I paid $50
      bucks for another package the scanner vendor recommended. I tossed it. I
      just paid the $50 for the Proscan. Worth every penny. Believe it.

      There are several packages available. But again, maybe reason to fault
      the dealer. Scanner SW is not the scanner's fault.

      > 3. If you decide to NOT follow #2 - then good luck getting your USB to
      serial working. The *other* products have real problems indicating if you
      have a good connection, or ANY connection at all. You will fuss and fuss and
      waste countless hours thinking you have finally figured it out and then NO
      JOY.

      I use serial. Works every time regardless of what drivers are on the OS.

      > I have not even cracked open the manual yet and my 396XLT is jamming.

      I think I may have an idea why you were having so much trouble with the
      396...

      > One more thing:
      >
      > 4. All scanner software depends on a good database (list) of scanner
      frequencies. All scanner data files are NOT CREATED EQUAL!! Your scanner is
      worthless if you improperly configure the TRUNKS. You do not have a choice.
      You have to invest in the best data feed. HANDS DOWN, www.radioreference.com
      is the best. Forget Radio Shack. It is incomplete and barely better than
      useless. SPEND THE $30 a YEAR and subscribe to the Radio Reference Premium
      service. Proscan will then link directly to your account and you can really
      enjoy your scanner investment. The you will have a computer controlled
      scanner with a PC display so you don't have to mess with the clumsy controls
      on the handheld unit.

      > Do these 4 things and you will be pleased.
      > Worth every penny.

      Agreed. Although the info is available without a subscription. Some
      errors and bad info, but by far the best thing out there. Some SW will
      even import the data without a subscription. Although RR changed their
      data format and discontinued the old format at the end of July, so
      please don't blame the SW authors for not having direct import ability
      working flawless as of August 1st (in RR's defense, I understand they
      published the change well in advance, however)

      So, you've faulted the OS, drivers, and dealer. Where is the scanner the
      problem in all this? You started out appearing to blame the scanner for
      a lot of things that the scanner has nothing to do with and asking of
      others have "thrown the thing into the creek yet". I know I would like
      to see Vista thrown into a creek, as it has many issues that even have
      Microsoft stumped as to how to fix.

      As for scanner operation, try 'cracking open the manual'. There is/was
      nothing in any Amateur Radio test about how to operate an XT scanner. I
      know it's not the 'guy thing' to do, but it's the smart thing to do.
      Don't expect the scanner to be like older non-DMA units. To paraphrase a
      slogan, "This isn't your father's scanner" and you can't just punch in a
      frequency into a channel and hit SCAN.

      Joe M.

      Back to top <>
      <mailto:mch@...?Subject=Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%20BCD396XLT%2
      0Owners%20%28Save%20Yourself%29> to sender | Reply
      <mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com?Subject=
      Re%3A%20Recommendations%20for%20New%20BCD396XLT%20Owners%20%28Save%20Yoursel
      f%29> to group | Reply
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMjkxZTF0BF9TAzk3Mz
      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTU0BHNlYwNkbX
      NnBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-?act=reply&messageNum=2554> via web
      post
      Messages
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/message/2551;_ylc=X3oDMTM2M2NtaTQwBF
      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTU0BH
      NlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjYEdHBjSWQDMjU1MQ--> in this
      topic (4)

      Recent Activity

      *

      19
      New
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbTdtZmI3BF9TAzk
      3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJ
      ycwRzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> Members
      *

      1
      New
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJobXV1OWRvBF9TAzk3M
      zU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2ZmlsZ
      XMEc3RpbWUDMTI1MDQxNDUyNg--> Files

      Visit
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNTEwaDFuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE
      1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1
      lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-> Your Group
      Sell Online

      Start
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h3bgk0b/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=
      groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1250421726/L=/B=zio.BkPDhEQ-/J=1250414526
      199646/K=tU_12TmyoIx_VhSo7N_5Ew/A=4025291/R=0/SIG=12bsapn24/*http://us.rd.ya
      hoo.com/evt=44092/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/merchant> selling with

      our award-winning

      e-commerce tools.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Weight
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14ig8tndi/M=493064.12016300.12445692.11323196/D
      =groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1250421726/L=/B=zyo.BkPDhEQ-/J=125041452
      6199646/K=tU_12TmyoIx_VhSo7N_5Ew/A=5170418/R=0/SIG=11b5gu1oe/*http://new.gro
      ups.yahoo.com/specialKgroup> Management Challenge

      Join others who

      are losing pounds.

      Yahoo! Groups

      Mom
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14h7tun9m/M=493064.12662709.13497510.8674578/D=
      groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1250421726/L=/B=0Co.BkPDhEQ-/J=1250414526
      199646/K=tU_12TmyoIx_VhSo7N_5Ew/A=5689658/R=0/SIG=11eaa5dke/*http://groups.y
      ahoo.com/group/mompowergroup/> Power

      Find wholesome recipes

      and more. Go Moms Go!

      Need to Reply?

      Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily
      Digest.

      Create
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdDJqYXRzBF9TAzk3Mz
      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBH
      N0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-> New Topic | Visit
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT;_ylc=X3oDMTJkN2xrNnZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE
      1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocARzdGltZQM
      xMjUwNDE0NTI2> Your Group on the Web
      Messages
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGhpdm9yBF9TAz
      k3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2
      dzBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-> | Files
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnc2V1dWVnBF9TAzk3M
      zU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNmaWxlc
      wRzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> | Photos
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZHF2bzZkBF9TAzk3
      MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwaG90
      BHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-> | Links
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJncjh1OWYzBF9TAzk3M
      zU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNsaW5rc
      wRzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> | Database
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzJzMThnBF9TAz
      k3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNkYg
      RzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> | Polls
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZjd0YTBxBF9TAzk3M
      zU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwb2xsc
      wRzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> | Members
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmc3FsYjA3BF9TAzk
      3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtYnJ
      zBHN0aW1lAzEyNTA0MTQ1MjY-> | Calendar
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJlam5scnVmBF9TAz
      k3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNjYW
      wEc3RpbWUDMTI1MDQxNDUyNg-->
      MARKETPLACE
      Mom
      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14k71nfl0/M=493064.12016295.13271503.10835568/D
      =groups/S=1705063108:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1250421726/L=/B=zSo.BkPDhEQ-/J=1250414
      526199646/K=tU_12TmyoIx_VhSo7N_5Ew/A=5697381/R=0/SIG=11eaa5dke/*http://group
      s.yahoo.com/group/mompowergroup/> Power: Discover the community of moms
      doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

      zA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTI1MDQxNDUyN
      g--> Yahoo! Groups
      Change
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJna25oODQ5BF9TAzk3Mz
      U5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG5ncw
      RzdGltZQMxMjUwNDE0NTI2> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
      Change settings via email: Switch
      <mailto:BCD396XT-normal@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Indiviual
      Email> delivery to Individual | Switch
      <mailto:BCD396XT-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format:
      Traditional> format to Traditional
      Visit
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396XT;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcmI0N2VxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE
      1BGdycElkAzIyNzA2NDA2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWU
      DMTI1MDQxNDUyNg--> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms
      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Use | Unsubscribe

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=22706406/grpspId=1705063108/msgI
      d=243/stime=1250414526/nc1=4025291/nc2=5170418/nc3=5689658>

    • RJH
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2014
        BCD396XT

        Hi,

        The latest firmware works fine.

        It’s too bad Tom you spent all that money for programming. There are plenty of people here who would have done it for free.

        Ray

        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2014
          You're right Ray; I didn't even think of seeking a scanner group back then.  I am in the FTdx5000 ham radio one and it has opened my eyes to equipment I never thought of.
          Have a great weekend !!!!!
          Tom