Re: [BCD396XT] Disabling all Start-Up keys

  • Brent Gay
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2009
      I only use a single startup key for a few systems/sites that I want an easy
      option to enable/disable, similar to your example. When I want to turn those
      systems back on all I do is use a startup key that I do not have assigned to
      any systems/sites. Therefore, in my case I use startup key 0 to turn back on
      those systems/sites that I disabled using startup key 1. Hope that helps.

      Brent

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2009
        Threaded...

        W4KRR wrote:
        > Let's say I routinely scan systems 1 through 25, that is, I scan systems to
        > which I have assigned System Quick Keys 1 through 25. Now, I go and create
        > a Startup key number 1, where I only want to scan systems 1, 2, and 3. I
        > press the 1 key while powering on the scanner. I'm now scanning systems 1,
        > 2, and 3. Great.

        So far, so good.

        > The problem starts when I want to resume the scanning of
        > systems 1 though 25 again, like before. In my mind, I should be able to
        > power off the scanner, and power it back on, and since I did not hold down a
        > number key, I should be scanning systems 1 through 25 again. But no, it's
        > still scanning 1, 2, and 3 only.

        As I said before, power cycling does not affect the Start-Up Key status.
        The scanner will continue to operate as it did when you powered down
        unless you press a different Start-Up Key.

        > There's no way to disable this. I have to
        > manually go and unlock the remaining systems to get them back. And I don't
        > always remember what systems are locked out and which ones aren't, so
        > depending on the Startup keys assigned to what systems, I end up with a
        > scrambled mess. It seems that once you use a Startup key, you're stuck
        > with it unless you go back and manually undo all the changes it made.

        Or press a different Start-Up Key.

        > I would like to see a key sequence where you press a couple of keys, and
        > unlock all systems, and another sequence where you can lock out (or turn off
        > the System Quick Keys) for all systems at once. You can do this with some
        > of the software packages, but not directly on the scanner .

        You want to use System Quick Keys, not Start-Up Keys.

        Assign Systems 1, 2, and 3 to SQK 1, then assign some other systems you
        want to work together with SQK 2, Etc.

        That way, you will be able to 'mix-n-match' what you're scanning.

        Start-Up Keys will not allow you to 'stack' multiple keys to enable
        different Systems. They are exclusive rather than inclusive. By that, I
        mean when you press a Start-Up Key, it locks out everything not assigned
        to that Start-Up Key. The only way to change that, other than manually
        unlocking Systems, is to press a different Start-Up Key. But, when you
        do that all the Systems not assigned to the second Start-Up Key will be
        locked out - including those assigned to the first one. Systems cannot
        be assigned more than one Start-Up Key.

        Again, you want to use System Quick Keys. The scanner is operating
        correctly. You just aren't using the Start-Up keys correctly, and they
        won't do what you want them to do.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2009
          If the system on SQK1 won't enable, it must be locked out which means
          it's assigned to a *different* Start-Up key other than the one you pressed.

          Joe M.