New file uploaded to BCD396XT

  • BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2009
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BCD396XT
      group.

      File : /Update_for_BCD396XT_and_BCD996XT.pdf
      Uploaded by : tomvanderpool <tomvanderpool@...>
      Description : Use this for the new features on the BCD396XT in PDF form. Can be used in conjunction with the PDF manual for the BCD396T to give you a searchable PDF for the radio.

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      tomvanderpool <tomvanderpool@...>
    • kc9glg
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2009
        I tried opening the file by clicking on it and it comes up looking like Greek to me.
      • JAN FINE
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
          That's because it is not a file for you to open and look at.
          It is a file that is used by a program.
          You save the file on your computer then open it from within its appropriate program.

          I tried opening the file by clicking on it and it comes up looking like Greek to me.

        • tomvanderpool
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
            And to me also. Sorry about that...will take a look and see what needs to be done.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
              Jan (and interested others),

              That's the answer (You have to DOWNLOAD the file and THEN open it) but it preplexes me as to "why"? Other pdf type files can just be clicked on. I have just tried generating the file using a different "pdf maker" with the same results - ie garbage.

              So that leaves me unsure as to how to "Fix" this (without spending a ton of money on Adobe products <g>).

              Tom

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                These are not PDF files. If you have a PDF reader and you double click on a PDF file your computer automatically opens the file with your PDF reader. (Probably Adobe)

                Files that end in the mem folder are for Butel software.
                Files in the folder USAD are Uniden Software files.
                The USAD files can be opened with any of the USAD software currently out there. If you open a file created for the 396T with the BC246 software you have to open each file and save it because they are stored in different formats. So if you download it and use it before it is opened then saved you will get an error.

                Remember Uniden's software for the xt model scanners is not out yet.
                You will import the files on the internet into FreeScan or Butel's software. The import in under the FILES section of the menu.

                That's the answer (You have to DOWNLOAD the file and THEN open it) but it preplexes me as to "why"? Other pdf type files can just be clicked on. I have just tried generating the file using a different "pdf maker" with the same results - ie garbage.

                So that leaves me unsure as to how to "Fix" this (without spending a ton of money on Adobe products <g>).

                Tom

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "JAN FINE" <janfine@...> wrote:

                > That's because it is not a file for you to open and look at.
                > It is a file that is used by a program.
                > You save the file on your computer then open it from within its appropriate program.

              • Derek Helling
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Try using Foxit instead of Adobe.

                  Derek

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                    He was replying to a message about the file *I* had recently uploaded which IS a pdf but does NOT open when just downloaded. It appears to be version 1.4 (also tried a version 1.5) that operates this way. Mark's pdf just above it (version 1.6 I think) seems to operate as you would expect. I have no explanation and have tried a couple variations with the "pdf builders" I have at my disposal. No success.

                    So, until I find a cure, "please download and open" is the answer I have for now. It does seem to work in that manner, although I would like to find a "better way".

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                      I'm using Foxit. <g>

                      But that's only to open. Made it a couple of different ways, nothing I can think of seem to be "the answer".

                      Tom

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Derek Helling <dereklh2001@...> wrote:

                      > Try using Foxit instead of Adobe.
                      >
                      > Derek
                    • john bucki
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                        I have the BuTel arc-xt pro This radio Ref has got me?? Says Disconnected wait retriving HTT data also on 396 996 software Help

                        john

                        To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                        From: tomvanderpool@...
                        Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:06:27 +0000

                      • SRehm24416@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2009
                          I clicked on it and it worked perfectly. There must be something wrong with my PC then. HA!

                        • dmccorm@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 3, 2009
                            The file has a PDF extension, however it's associated as HTML, so most browsers want to display it as HTML unless you download it to your local drive and then open it.