Re: [BCD396XT] Figuring out a trunked system

  • Jim Walls
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
      JAN FINE wrote:
      > First of all Federal systems are not in the 856 range. So you are not picking up a NAC code

      Say what? Federal systems vs non-federal and NACs have no relationship
      to each other.

      --
      73
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
        agcme2002 wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

        If you're decoding a NAC, it's not a trunking system - it's conventional...

        --
        73
        -------------------------------------
        Jim Walls - K6CCC
        jim@...
        Ofc: 818-548-4804
        http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
        AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395
      • KevinChessher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
          Um.....not true. A P25 trunked system uses NAC's the same way a Smartnet/Smartzone (or PP actually) uses a connect tone. All channels within a P25 trunked system transmit a NAC and require the correct NAC to keep the voice channel keyed.
          > I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

          If you're decoding a NAC, it's not a trunking system - it's conventional...

          --
          73
          -------------------------------------
          Jim Walls - K6CCC
          jim@...
          Ofc: 818-548-4804
          http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
          AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
            He Found the answer to his question on the RR forum.
            It turned out to be the Orange County(California) trunked system.

            <http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/152708-identifying-unknonw-trunking-system.html>

            >> I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system
            >> up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to
            >> figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as
            >> P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK.
            >> So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the
            >> scanner so it can follow along?
          • W4KRR
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
              Trunking frequencies that are digital also have NAC codes.

              Ken

              jim@... <mailto:jim%40k6ccc.org>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                Just for clarity, ALL P25 uses NAC codes - conventional AND trunking.

                In fact, both conventional AND trunking even use talkgroup IDs!

                You have to have both the NAC and the correct TGID in a P25 radio
                (scanners excluded) to hear a transmission.

                Joe M.

                W4KRR wrote:
                > Trunking frequencies that are digital also have NAC codes.
                >

                > Ken

              • agcme2002
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <mtnbiker2005ipn@...> wrote:

                  > He Found the answer to his question on the RR forum.
                  > It turned out to be the Orange County(California) trunked system.
                  >
                  > <http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/152708-identifying-unknonw-trunking-system.html>

                  Strange I never received email notifications about any of the posts to this thread.

                  Thank you all for replying, much more valuable information than I had anticipated. I did find the answer over at RadioReference. I had bee looking through the Los Angeles listings and couldn't find the frequency. It didn't occur to me I was high enough and close enough to hear Orange County so I never looked at the rest of the California listings.