Figuring out a trunked system

  • agcme2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
        Did you look on radioreference.com ???

        Joe M.

        agcme2002 wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

      • JAN FINE
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
          First of all Federal systems are not in the 856 range. So you are not picking up a NAC code.
          If you set a custom search range that covers the freq you are talking about (make sure you set it up as CC Only)
          If it is a Local or State Government system that is in the database of the scanner it will tell you the name of the system.

          To put it in your scanner so you can hear what's on the system just create a new system.
          Now put that freq in and set the system to CC Only Mode. Make sure the system is set for SEARCH.
          You're in business. Or you could just listen to everything on the system using the Custom Search Mode from above.

          Is it possible that 3F3 is the system you are seeing.
          If it is a Nextel system or a EDACS digital system you will see the talkgroups but not hear anything.

          I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

        • Jim Walls
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
            JAN FINE wrote:
            > First of all Federal systems are not in the 856 range. So you are not picking up a NAC code

            Say what? Federal systems vs non-federal and NACs have no relationship
            to each other.

            --
            73
            -------------------------------------
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
              agcme2002 wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

              If you're decoding a NAC, it's not a trunking system - it's conventional...

              --
              73
              -------------------------------------
              Jim Walls - K6CCC
              jim@...
              Ofc: 818-548-4804
              http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
              AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395
            • KevinChessher
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
                Um.....not true. A P25 trunked system uses NAC's the same way a Smartnet/Smartzone (or PP actually) uses a connect tone. All channels within a P25 trunked system transmit a NAC and require the correct NAC to keep the voice channel keyed.
                > I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK. So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the scanner so it can follow along?

                If you're decoding a NAC, it's not a trunking system - it's conventional...

                --
                73
                -------------------------------------
                Jim Walls - K6CCC
                jim@...
                Ofc: 818-548-4804
                http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
                AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2009
                  He Found the answer to his question on the RR forum.
                  It turned out to be the Orange County(California) trunked system.

                  <http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/152708-identifying-unknonw-trunking-system.html>

                  >> I've got the my XT scanning and occasionally I pick up a trunked system
                  >> up in the 856MHz area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to
                  >> figure out the system. I can't find it online. The XT does decode it as
                  >> P25 voice and I even get a NAC of 3F3 and it occasionally flashes LNK.
                  >> So, how do I go about figuring this system out and then programming the
                  >> scanner so it can follow along?
                • W4KRR
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                    Trunking frequencies that are digital also have NAC codes.

                    Ken

                    jim@... <mailto:jim%40k6ccc.org>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                      Just for clarity, ALL P25 uses NAC codes - conventional AND trunking.

                      In fact, both conventional AND trunking even use talkgroup IDs!

                      You have to have both the NAC and the correct TGID in a P25 radio
                      (scanners excluded) to hear a transmission.

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <mtnbiker2005ipn@...> wrote:

                        > He Found the answer to his question on the RR forum.
                        > It turned out to be the Orange County(California) trunked system.
                        >
                        > <http://forums.radioreference.com/california-radio-discussion-forum/152708-identifying-unknonw-trunking-system.html>

                        Strange I never received email notifications about any of the posts to this thread.

                        Thank you all for replying, much more valuable information than I had anticipated. I did find the answer over at RadioReference. I had bee looking through the Los Angeles listings and couldn't find the frequency. It didn't occur to me I was high enough and close enough to hear Orange County so I never looked at the rest of the California listings.