External Speaker

  • tools4fire@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
      I'd like to add an external speaker for my BC346XT to make it more audible
      in my truck.

      I had an older RadioShack lapel clip speaker that I tried with the unit,
      but the volume level is pretty poor (even w/ scanner volume topped out).
      This little speaker was plenty loud when used with my old RadioShack 20
      channel scanner.

      Suggestions for the best external speaker (or specs) for use with this unit?
      Or ...
      Is this amp for an external speaker a weak point in this unit.

      Thanks for our comments and suggestions.

      Nick Ariemma
      Westwood, NJ

    • W4KRR
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
        Radio Shack catalog number 21-541amplified extension speaker. Works great! You will be able to hear it!

        Ken

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
          You may want to take a look at this thread:

          http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/141725-bcd396xt-audio-popping-solved.html

          As you will note, I had a problem with a popping sound and found a
          way to deal with it. The post refers to my 396XT, but the same thing
          applies to my BC346XT.

          YMMV.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2009
            Get an amplified speaker. Even a PC speaker will work. If you can find
            one that runs on 12V, all the better.

            Joe M.

            tools4fire@... wrote:
            > I'd like to add an external speaker for my BC346XT to make it more audible
            > in my truck.
            >
            > I had an older RadioShack lapel clip speaker that I tried with the unit,
            > but the volume level is pretty poor (even w/ scanner volume topped out).
            > This little speaker was plenty loud when used with my old RadioShack 20
            > channel scanner.
            >
            > Suggestions for the best external speaker (or specs) for use with this unit?
            > Or ...
            > Is this amp for an external speaker a weak point in this unit.
            >
            > Thanks for our comments and suggestions.
            >
            > Nick Ariemma
            > Westwood, NJ

          • w02r
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
              Plugged an external speaker(kenwood) into the 396xt, and its lower in audio than the radio speaker.What Gives? Thanks
            • Mark Levine, D.C.
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                The jack is meant for headphones and not to drive a speaker. Pick up an
                amplified 12w Motorola speaker.
                > Plugged an external speaker(kenwood) into the 396xt, and its lower in
                > audio than the radio speaker.What Gives? Thanks

              • Ted Cappetti
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                  Well, I have both the T and XT and the T is way louder with an ext. speaker.
                  Sent via Ted's Blackberry

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                    What gives is the fact you plugged it into an earphone jack and not an
                    external speaker jack. For earphone jacks, you need an amplified
                    external speaker, and I bet your Kenwood speaker is not amplified.

                    Joe M.

                    w02r wrote:
                    > Plugged an external speaker(kenwood) into the 396xt, and its lower in audio than the radio speaker.What Gives? Thanks

                  • Lou
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Based on your previous post and this one and without any further information, I would hazard a guess that your 396T is broken.

                      Mine certainly requires an amplified speaker. <grin>

                      Lou

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Cappetti" <TCappetti@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I have both the T and XT and the T is way louder with an ext. speaker.
                      > Sent via Ted's Blackberry

                    • dataman60435
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                        My 396t was also loud with a "external speaker" that was not amplified, the 396XT is poor with a "external speaker", its better in the car with a "earplug speaker....
                      • Michael Bennett
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                          I think this issue came up last year and it was determined that UNIDEN had reconfigured or reduced the audio output on the XT from what it had been on the previous model.