Re: [BCD396XT] Re software

  • KB9WUV@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4 6:30 PM
      and what would the difference be-----Original Message----- From: JAN
      FINE <janfine@...> To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sat, 4
      Jul 2009 21:10:57 -0400 Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Re software Yes. -----
      Original Message ----- From: stephen.thomas42 To:
      BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:34 PM Subject:
      [BCD396XT] Re software hi all. is their any difference between freescan
      and arcxt pro.? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4 6:45 PM
        Yes. FreeScan is free and works very well. ARC-XT is not free and
        Version 1 Build 1 still has a number of features that aren't working such as

        -Print Current Grid heading refers to bank # and bankname
        -Print Current System doesn't
        -Print All Systems doesn't
        -No ability to choose printer
        -Find doesn't work
        -Replace doesn't work
        -Setup Groups doesn't correctly list groups in selected system
        -Multi Site Editor includes conventional systems in drop down list
        -Custom Search has a column for Data Skip which doesn't exist
        -When a tone is detected it often results in two lines in the History
        Log, one for the tone and one for the transmission itself.

        I'd suggest that you try the free trial before shelling out any money.

        Dick

        At 06:34 PM 7/4/2009, you wrote:
        >hi all. is their any difference between freescan and arcxt pro.?
      • Bill Lauchlan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4 7:19 PM
          The original question doesn't make any sense. Since the two software products are from two separate independent sources it is extremely unlikely they would be the same.
          Maybe the author of the original question should ask a more sensible question and then he may get some sensible answers.

          [BCD396XT] Re software hi all. is their any difference between freescan
          and arcxt pro.? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Jeff Miller
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5 12:24 AM
            If you don't understand Uniden's DMA memory I think FreeSCAN is better for those new to it. I had no idea what I was doing when I programmed my 396XT with other software but once I used FreeSCAN I Unidens scheme.   ARC XT is good software if you are familiar with the Scanner and also have used other ARC products the spreadsheet layout is very nice and informative.  ARC XT is just at Release 1 so it does have bugs which another person already listed.

            hi all. is their any difference between freescan and arcxt pro.?

          • shgee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5 3:54 AM
              Hi Bill!

              I understood his question perfectly and without using hardly any brain power at all. Are you honestly saying you had a hard time figuring out what was really asking?? Wow!

              Scott

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5 8:17 AM
                I don't know why there tends to be a "put down" on ARC (and there's no need for a discussion about it again!) but yes, there are differences between FreeScan and ARC-XT. The biggest, of course, is that one is free and the other is not. I would suggest, as others have, that you download ARC-XT and try it for the trial period.
                FreeScan is a great program. ARC-XT is also. ARC-XT still has some things to work - it's going to cover all of the XT scanners from Uniden. (Not making excuses, just stating fact.) I find it to be working extremely well for what I need and I need a lot. I don't need it to print out anything, I do need for it to be fast and, in virtual mode, to be able to show the frequencies properly that it's picking up - which it's doing very well.
                I've used ARC for years. I use FreeScan as well. Both are good programs. One has to use both and see which one fits their needs
                best. Proscan is another excellent program - it also is not free but is well worth the purchase if one likes the program and can use some of the features which comes with it that you'd have to pay a lot more for elsewhere.
                Best advice is to take advantage of the trial periods available with ARC and Proscan. See which one YOU like the best. No software program is going to suit everyone's needs and style! Don't judge any of them too quickly - give each of them at least a good, solid week...these programs are working with a sophisticated scanner which has a LOT of features. Each of them handle the scanner very well BUT each does it in a different way. We all find features about these programs we're more comfortable using...thus the reason for taking your time with the trial periods. Don't rush - again, find the one you like best - and you will, I'm quite sure!

                Shelley

                P.S. If you don't already have a subscription with Radio Reference, I highly recommend you get one. It's worth every penny and more.

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.thomas42" <stephen.thomas42@...> wrote:

                > hi all. is their any difference between freescan and arcxt pro.?

              • randybcd396t
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5 9:58 AM
                  I'll repeat the advice.

                  There are currently 3 software programs that support the BCD396XT.

                  FreeScan (free)
                  ProScan (fee)
                  ARC-XT (fee)

                  I suggest you download all 3 and try them. There is a full functional trial available for ProScan and ARC-XT. And FreeScan is free.

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "shelleysh1@..." <shelleysh1@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know why there tends to be a "put down" on ARC (and there's no need for a discussion about it again!) but yes, there are differences between FreeScan and ARC-XT. The biggest, of course, is that one is free and the other is not. I would suggest, as others have, that you download ARC-XT and try it for the trial period.
                  > FreeScan is a great program. ARC-XT is also. ARC-XT still has some things to work - it's going to cover all of the XT scanners from Uniden. (Not making excuses, just stating fact.) I find it to be working extremely well for what I need and I need a lot. I don't need it to print out anything, I do need for it to be fast and, in virtual mode, to be able to show the frequencies properly that it's picking up - which it's doing very well.
                  > I've used ARC for years. I use FreeScan as well. Both are good programs. One has to use both and see which one fits their needs
                  > best. Proscan is another excellent program - it also is not free but is well worth the purchase if one likes the program and can use some of the features which comes with it that you'd have to pay a lot more for elsewhere.
                  > Best advice is to take advantage of the trial periods available with ARC and Proscan. See which one YOU like the best. No software program is going to suit everyone's needs and style! Don't judge any of them too quickly - give each of them at least a good, solid week...these programs are working with a sophisticated scanner which has a LOT of features. Each of them handle the scanner very well BUT each does it in a different way. We all find features about these programs we're more comfortable using...thus the reason for taking your time with the trial periods. Don't rush - again, find the one you like best - and you will, I'm quite sure!
                  >
                  > Shelley
                  >
                  > P.S. If you don't already have a subscription with Radio Reference, I highly recommend you get one. It's worth every penny and more.
                  >
                  > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.thomas42" <stephen.thomas42@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hi all. is their any difference between freescan and arcxt pro.?

                • laserbub
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6 3:57 PM
                    I will chime in here - I received my new 396XT with only a few hours before having to leave it with a friend and travel for a few weeks. I downloaded FREESCAN, paid for a $15 RadioReference Premium Acct and the scanner was working beautifully in less than 1 hour.

                    I read no documentation, and programmed nothing directly on the scanner. I was truly impressed with the ease of start up with only a small, free program and $15 bucks.

                    I will learn much more about the scanner when I return and I want to thank everyone for being so helpful on this group. I see something useful to know almost everyday when I skim through the daily digest of postings.

                    I am very happy with my old Uniden's and now I am very, very happy with my new Uniden scanner and FREESCAN.

                    Drew

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.thomas42" <stephen.thomas42@...> wrote:

                    > hi all. is their any difference between freescan and arcxt pro.?

                  • Clark Rennie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6 4:34 PM
                      The author of FreeSCAN does request a small donation of $5-$20 to continue
                      the development of this
                      fine program. Click on HELP, and go from there.

                      Clark

                    • russelempey@rogers.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 7 4:29 PM
                        Same here! Out of the box, 10.00 for Free Scan, 15.00 for RadioRefence and up and running. In about 40 minutes! Outstanding

                        From: "laserbub" <jetson82@...>

                        Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:57:23
                        To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: [BCD396XT] Re: Re software