audio type setting

  • radiostarcom21
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      What is the correct setting when the type is unknown?
      Frequency xxx.xxxx is unknown type to me. I want the scanner
      to decode whatever it is, pl, dpl, or nac. What setting do
      I use?

      Thanks,
      George
    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        It's my understanding that you would set the Audio Type to "All", but
        that you couldn't determine pl, dpl, or nac in that mode. Once you
        know whether it's analog or digital, you set the Audio Type
        accordingly and can then search for pl, dpl if it's analog or nac if
        it's digital. I'm not aware of any way to do what you want in one step.

        See page 63 of the Complete Reference.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
          It can't do that.

          When you don't know what the signal is, set the audio type to ALL.

          Then you can either set it to CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH to decode CTCSS/CDCSS
          tones/codes, OR set it to NAC SEARCH to display a NAC for a P25 signal.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
            Ooops. Let me retype that...

            It can't do that.

            When you don't know what the signal is, set the audio type to ALL.

            If you know it's analog, then you can set it to ANALOG ONLY and set it
            to CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH to decode CTCSS/CDCSS tones/codes, OR if you know
            it's digital you can set it to DIGITAL ONLY and set NAC SEARCH to

            radiostarcom21 wrote:
            > What is the correct setting when the type is unknown?
            > Frequency xxx.xxxx is unknown type to me. I want the scanner
            > to decode whatever it is, pl, dpl, or nac. What setting do
            > I use?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > George

          • Jim Canupp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
              Is that fir search mode?  What does NAC do?  I'm having real reception problems since I upgraded my 396T to 3.00.2.  Can I set a specific system to do that?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
                First of all, if you're asking for a BCD396T, you're on the wrong list.
                This list is for the BCD396XT.

                The 396T does not support NAC. But to answer your question, it's the P25
                equal to analog's CTCSS/CDCSS.

                But, on the 396XT it applies to Systems or Searching.

                Joe M.

                Jim Canupp wrote:
                > Is that fir search mode? What does NAC do? I'm having real reception problems since I upgraded my 396T to 3.00.2. Can I set a specific system to do that?

              • Jim Canupp
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
                  Oh...I joined the wrong thing...don't I feel silly.  Thanks for letting me know AND answering my question.  Many thanks!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
                    No biggie. A lot of times people post to the 'wrong' group.

                    Here is a link to the 396T group: