End of thread. Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Weather Alert OMG!!! - ENOUGH!!!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
      It's not. At least it's no worse than any of the other units I've
      purchased in the last 10 years. Yes, some older ones were adjustable,
      and that's likely what led to industry interdiction when they were not
      suitable for the purpose for which they are intended. There are more
      than enough lawyers out there who would jump at the chance to exploit
      this failure.

      As for why, Paul Opitz posted the reason why it is so 'loud'. It has to
      meet the ANSI/CEA spec that specifies that the alert tone *must* be "an
      SPL of a minimum of 77 dB at one meter." Yes, that IS loud. As Paul also
      said, it's in the same class as smoke detectors. Both are loud for a reason.

      So, for ANYONE who thinks the Uniden scanners are too loud for the
      weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the specification ***.

      Stop blaming Uniden for not wanting to violate this spec and be subject
      to a lawsuit. Yes, industry standards are enforceable in court even
      though they are not laws or regulations. When you violate such
      standards, you are guilty of negligence - perhaps gross negligence in
      light of the fact there are lives at stake combined with a willful
      ignorance of industry standards IF they made a decision to not comply.

      As for the alert being annoying, please read what you wrote! You're
      complaining because an ALERT TONE is too 'annoying'. That's it's entire
      purpose - to get your attention. It wouldn't be much of an alert if it
      were easily ignored or missed. If it were, I'm sure there would be a
      thread complaining about it not being loud enough.

      But again, there will be NO MORE Uniden bashing for obeying this
      industry specification. Again, if you think the Uniden scanners are too
      loud for the weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the
      specification ***. Oh, and good luck with that, as you will have to
      prove it's in everyone's best interests.

      List Moderator

      Jason W. Watts wrote:
      > Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?
      >

      > Jason W. Watts
      >
      > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from i wireless

    • CBennett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
        If the forecast is for severe storms overnight, I would put the 396xt in an
        adjacent room or a nearby bathroom.close the door partially too and then if
        the tone is activated, it won't be loud enough to give you a coronary but it
        should be loud enough to wake you.

        I used to have an old analog base scanner in the kitchen downstairs for this
        purpose and it was plenty loud to wake me at night at that distance even
        when we were upstairs sleeping when the NWS activated the tone. I had to
        get rid of that scanner though as it didn't have FIPS or SAME capabilities
        and without those capabilities, it was a most annoying and frustrating
        event on many a stormy night.

        Chan

        KB0ECO