RE: [BCD396XT] Weather Alert OMG!!!

  • Bill, NC1L
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
      Well, I think the tone is intentional. I would not want one that I could
      easily sleep through!

      Bill

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
        It's not. At least it's no worse than any of the other units I've
        purchased in the last 10 years. Yes, some older ones were adjustable,
        and that's likely what led to industry interdiction when they were not
        suitable for the purpose for which they are intended. There are more
        than enough lawyers out there who would jump at the chance to exploit
        this failure.

        As for why, Paul Opitz posted the reason why it is so 'loud'. It has to
        meet the ANSI/CEA spec that specifies that the alert tone *must* be "an
        SPL of a minimum of 77 dB at one meter." Yes, that IS loud. As Paul also
        said, it's in the same class as smoke detectors. Both are loud for a reason.

        So, for ANYONE who thinks the Uniden scanners are too loud for the
        weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the specification ***.

        Stop blaming Uniden for not wanting to violate this spec and be subject
        to a lawsuit. Yes, industry standards are enforceable in court even
        though they are not laws or regulations. When you violate such
        standards, you are guilty of negligence - perhaps gross negligence in
        light of the fact there are lives at stake combined with a willful
        ignorance of industry standards IF they made a decision to not comply.

        As for the alert being annoying, please read what you wrote! You're
        complaining because an ALERT TONE is too 'annoying'. That's it's entire
        purpose - to get your attention. It wouldn't be much of an alert if it
        were easily ignored or missed. If it were, I'm sure there would be a
        thread complaining about it not being loud enough.

        But again, there will be NO MORE Uniden bashing for obeying this
        industry specification. Again, if you think the Uniden scanners are too
        loud for the weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the
        specification ***. Oh, and good luck with that, as you will have to
        prove it's in everyone's best interests.

        List Moderator

        Jason W. Watts wrote:
        > Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?
        >

        > Jason W. Watts
        >
        > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from i wireless

      • CBennett
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
          If the forecast is for severe storms overnight, I would put the 396xt in an
          adjacent room or a nearby bathroom.close the door partially too and then if
          the tone is activated, it won't be loud enough to give you a coronary but it
          should be loud enough to wake you.

          I used to have an old analog base scanner in the kitchen downstairs for this
          purpose and it was plenty loud to wake me at night at that distance even
          when we were upstairs sleeping when the NWS activated the tone. I had to
          get rid of that scanner though as it didn't have FIPS or SAME capabilities
          and without those capabilities, it was a most annoying and frustrating
          event on many a stormy night.

          Chan

          KB0ECO