Re: Not Impressed with the BCD396XT

  • gcr33
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
      Are you trying to listen to systems that are far away? Newer systems are lower powered and are designed to work within 3 miles of their jurisdiction. It's not the old days with 1000 watt transmitters. It is possible that the file you are using has a problem. I use freescan. It's free and works fine. I don't need bandscope and other such stuff, I just want to program my radio which is currently 14% full.

      My 396xt seems to be far more sensitive than my Pro96.

      May I also again encourage others to post their files in the files section.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
        The '3-mile' limit only applies to the NPSPAC systems (866-869 MHz, or
        851-854 MHz if rebanded). Other systems are not under this requirement
        and usually (but of course not always) will cover farther.

        As for your 396 being more sensitive, I bet your 96 is being overloaded.

        Joe M.

      • hamradionut@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 11, 2009
          No not really, when I listen to Dekalb, i'm in Dekalb and it's still garbled some of the times, as with the other metro systems. I listen to them when i'm in there county. I don't really care what's going on it Dekalb if I'm in Rockdale or Fulton.

          AnyWay thanks to all for the replies and information. It has helped me understand the scanner a little better.

          So that being said I guess the scanner is what it is, and until either the systems improve on there signals, or something else changes then it's just that, it is what it is.....

          HamRadioNut