Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Weather Alert OMG!!!

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 2:20 PM
      Hahahaha!!! When I set up my SAME for my area, nothing much was happening weather-wize. One day, at 5am, a storm warning came through in the early morning. Our 100lb Doberman must have leaped up off the bed two feet high and barked for five minutes before he settled down. I think we all go through this.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 2:48 PM
        Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?

        Jason W. Watts
        Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone from i wireless

        Everyone goes through this. You turn on the wx alert, figure just in case, and it goes off and nearly kills you. It is just kind of an initiation, a way to teach you never to turn it on ever again. I almost had a heart attack the first time I heard it as well.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnburt0n" <j0hnburt0n@...> wrote:

        > Wow!!! Is that weather alert tone annoying or what?!? The alert tone is a heart attack waiting to happen.

      • Bill, NC1L
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 4:35 PM
          Well, I think the tone is intentional. I would not want one that I could
          easily sleep through!

          Bill

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2 8:52 PM
            It's not. At least it's no worse than any of the other units I've
            purchased in the last 10 years. Yes, some older ones were adjustable,
            and that's likely what led to industry interdiction when they were not
            suitable for the purpose for which they are intended. There are more
            than enough lawyers out there who would jump at the chance to exploit
            this failure.

            As for why, Paul Opitz posted the reason why it is so 'loud'. It has to
            meet the ANSI/CEA spec that specifies that the alert tone *must* be "an
            SPL of a minimum of 77 dB at one meter." Yes, that IS loud. As Paul also
            said, it's in the same class as smoke detectors. Both are loud for a reason.

            So, for ANYONE who thinks the Uniden scanners are too loud for the
            weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the specification ***.

            Stop blaming Uniden for not wanting to violate this spec and be subject
            to a lawsuit. Yes, industry standards are enforceable in court even
            though they are not laws or regulations. When you violate such
            standards, you are guilty of negligence - perhaps gross negligence in
            light of the fact there are lives at stake combined with a willful
            ignorance of industry standards IF they made a decision to not comply.

            As for the alert being annoying, please read what you wrote! You're
            complaining because an ALERT TONE is too 'annoying'. That's it's entire
            purpose - to get your attention. It wouldn't be much of an alert if it
            were easily ignored or missed. If it were, I'm sure there would be a
            thread complaining about it not being loud enough.

            But again, there will be NO MORE Uniden bashing for obeying this
            industry specification. Again, if you think the Uniden scanners are too
            loud for the weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the
            specification ***. Oh, and good luck with that, as you will have to
            prove it's in everyone's best interests.

            List Moderator

            Jason W. Watts wrote:
            > Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?
            >

            > Jason W. Watts
            >
            > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from i wireless

          • CBennett
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2 9:42 PM
              If the forecast is for severe storms overnight, I would put the 396xt in an
              adjacent room or a nearby bathroom.close the door partially too and then if
              the tone is activated, it won't be loud enough to give you a coronary but it
              should be loud enough to wake you.

              I used to have an old analog base scanner in the kitchen downstairs for this
              purpose and it was plenty loud to wake me at night at that distance even
              when we were upstairs sleeping when the NWS activated the tone. I had to
              get rid of that scanner though as it didn't have FIPS or SAME capabilities
              and without those capabilities, it was a most annoying and frustrating
              event on many a stormy night.

              Chan

              KB0ECO