Weather Alert OMG!!!

  • j0hnburt0n
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
      Wow!!! Is that weather alert tone annoying or what?!? Here in the midwest, I would like to set the scanner on wx alert mode when a storm front is due to move through overnight. I could never get away with this unless I placed the scanner into a hermetically sealed, lead-lined mayonaise jar and then covered it with pillows! The alert tone is a heart attack waiting to happen. I sure wish there were optional settings for the wx alert much like the other alert tones. I've reverted to my gmrs radio for wx alerting because it has tone options and volumn settings. Unfortunate after paying $500 for the scanner!

      JB
    • nocreativety
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
        Everyone goes through this. You turn on the wx alert, figure just in case, and it goes off and nearly kills you. It is just kind of an initiation, a way to teach you never to turn it on ever again. I almost had a heart attack the first time I heard it as well.

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnburt0n" <j0hnburt0n@...> wrote:

        > Wow!!! Is that weather alert tone annoying or what?!? The alert tone is a heart attack waiting to happen.
      • Paul Wolsko
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hahahaha!!! When I set up my SAME for my area, nothing much was happening weather-wize. One day, at 5am, a storm warning came through in the early morning. Our 100lb Doberman must have leaped up off the bed two feet high and barked for five minutes before he settled down. I think we all go through this.

          Paul

          Everyone goes through this. You turn on the wx alert, figure just in case, and it goes off and nearly kills you. It is just kind of an initiation, a way to teach you never to turn it on ever again. I almost had a heart attack the first time I heard it as well.

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnburt0n" <j0hnburt0n@...> wrote:

          > Wow!!! Is that weather alert tone annoying or what?!? The alert tone is a heart attack waiting to happen.

        • Jason W. Watts
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
            Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?

            Jason W. Watts
            Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone from i wireless

            Everyone goes through this. You turn on the wx alert, figure just in case, and it goes off and nearly kills you. It is just kind of an initiation, a way to teach you never to turn it on ever again. I almost had a heart attack the first time I heard it as well.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnburt0n" <j0hnburt0n@...> wrote:

            > Wow!!! Is that weather alert tone annoying or what?!? The alert tone is a heart attack waiting to happen.

          • Bill, NC1L
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
              Well, I think the tone is intentional. I would not want one that I could
              easily sleep through!

              Bill

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
                It's not. At least it's no worse than any of the other units I've
                purchased in the last 10 years. Yes, some older ones were adjustable,
                and that's likely what led to industry interdiction when they were not
                suitable for the purpose for which they are intended. There are more
                than enough lawyers out there who would jump at the chance to exploit
                this failure.

                As for why, Paul Opitz posted the reason why it is so 'loud'. It has to
                meet the ANSI/CEA spec that specifies that the alert tone *must* be "an
                SPL of a minimum of 77 dB at one meter." Yes, that IS loud. As Paul also
                said, it's in the same class as smoke detectors. Both are loud for a reason.

                So, for ANYONE who thinks the Uniden scanners are too loud for the
                weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the specification ***.

                Stop blaming Uniden for not wanting to violate this spec and be subject
                to a lawsuit. Yes, industry standards are enforceable in court even
                though they are not laws or regulations. When you violate such
                standards, you are guilty of negligence - perhaps gross negligence in
                light of the fact there are lives at stake combined with a willful
                ignorance of industry standards IF they made a decision to not comply.

                As for the alert being annoying, please read what you wrote! You're
                complaining because an ALERT TONE is too 'annoying'. That's it's entire
                purpose - to get your attention. It wouldn't be much of an alert if it
                were easily ignored or missed. If it were, I'm sure there would be a
                thread complaining about it not being loud enough.

                But again, there will be NO MORE Uniden bashing for obeying this
                industry specification. Again, if you think the Uniden scanners are too
                loud for the weather alerts, *** petition ANSI/CEA to LOWER the
                specification ***. Oh, and good luck with that, as you will have to
                prove it's in everyone's best interests.

                List Moderator

                Jason W. Watts wrote:
                > Is it any worse than a tone you might hear using some of the stand-alone weather radio receivers for some reason?
                >

                > Jason W. Watts
                >
                > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from i wireless

              • CBennett
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
                  If the forecast is for severe storms overnight, I would put the 396xt in an
                  adjacent room or a nearby bathroom.close the door partially too and then if
                  the tone is activated, it won't be loud enough to give you a coronary but it
                  should be loud enough to wake you.

                  I used to have an old analog base scanner in the kitchen downstairs for this
                  purpose and it was plenty loud to wake me at night at that distance even
                  when we were upstairs sleeping when the NWS activated the tone. I had to
                  get rid of that scanner though as it didn't have FIPS or SAME capabilities
                  and without those capabilities, it was a most annoying and frustrating
                  event on many a stormy night.

                  Chan

                  KB0ECO