Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Radio IDs

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
      Threaded...

      Ryan wrote:
      > If we, the customer, can accurately describe an implementation of
      > Radio IDs we think would be valuable, I would hope Uniden would
      > listen. So far I've not heard anyone state, exactly, how they would
      > like such a feature to work.

      Fair 'nuff. :-)

      > What should it be able to do or not do?

      Obviously, decode and display the Radio ID. I would have it alternate
      with the talkgroup ID (or text tag) much like the System ID and Group ID
      alternate.

      I would further want it to have an optional text tag for each ID so I
      could mark ID 12345 as "Anytown PD Car 7".

      I would also want it to be reliable and switch as the user radios do
      whenever a new person keys up.

      I think that sums everything up.

      > Do you just want to see the ID?

      Not just, but that is a key item.

      > Do you want to alert on the ID?

      Alerts would be nice, too (both audible and visual - like the talkgroup
      channels).

      > Do you want to store IDs?

      Kind of necessary for text tagging them.

      > You
      > mentioned the GRE implementation stinks, what would make it better?

      Doing what I mentioned - especially the switching when a new user talks
      and tagging of them.

      > I personally don't think that a lack of Radio ID support is going to
      > stop me from buying the 396XT.

      Uniden has a lot of benefits over the GRE/RS units. But, just having
      some better features is "not enough" if you want to dominate the market
      (or continue to in Uniden's case). For those who want the feautres
      unique to GRE, there is a choice - but both and live with having to use
      two units, or sacrifice the features the unit you choose does not have.

      > That said, I can see how implementing
      > the Radio ID with computer software might be really cool.

      It works very well on the user radios. Unfurtunately, my county tags
      very few of the users - just tagging those in your own municipality.

      > You could
      > draw 'live' maps of all the radios in a system. Once I determine who
      > dispatch is, I'd like the ability to change the backlight to a
      > specific color every time dispatch broadcasts.

      Exactly - a point I mentioned above.

      As for knowing them, many people have Trunker/UniTrunker/PRO96COM etc ID
      files for popular systems that already have many of the RIDs.

      > This way I could have
      > a visual indication any time dispatch is talking. In my listening
      > area, there may be several dispatchers. Such a feature would be
      > useful.
      >
      > Who is not going to buy this radio if it doesn't support Radio IDs,
      > but will go buy a GRE instead?

      How important is that feature to you? It's certainly something that
      would draw me to GRE if it worked well. Now, would I want to give up
      FTO, Paging decode, and all the other features unique to Uniden? Again,
      it depends on a few things:

      1. Does Uniden want to dominate the scanner market?

      2. How much R&D will RIDs cost? (really should be minimal since it's in
      the P25 spec for those systems)

      3. Is there enough in the budget to allow for #2?

      4. Is there enough user demand to warrant #s 2 and 3?

      5. Is there enough R&D time available? (or would it delay other projects
      - perhaps projects that would be more profittable?)

      Joe M.
    • johnstark
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
        Ryan,
        You can already do this with Unitrunker, not the mapping part, but the ID
        color codes for radio ID's