Re: Radio IDs

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008

      > It's useful for the same reason TGIDs are useful - to identify who
      is
      > talking. It's a really nice feature on the user radios. The GRE
      > implementation of it sorta stinks. It will never change during the
      > conversation (unlike the user radios) and many times it never sees
      any IDs.

      > The only down side is that if you had text tags with them, you
      could use
      > all 22,000 channels worth of memory on one trunked system! Of
      course, if
      > that is a priority for you, it's really not a down side.
      >
      > Uniden has a chance to really show up GRE on this feature.

      If we, the customer, can accurately describe an implementation of
      Radio IDs we think would be valuable, I would hope Uniden would
      listen. So far I've not heard anyone state, exactly, how they would
      like such a feature to work.

      What should it be able to do or not do? Do you just want to see the
      ID? Do you want to alert on the ID? Do you want to store IDs? You
      mentioned the GRE implementation stinks, what would make it better?
      Uniden can figure out how to implement it, or maybe GRE is
      reading this forum and will fix their implementation. Then if you
      want to use Radio IDs, you can simply buy a GRE radio. It won't take
      long for Uniden to get the point that this is a feature people really
      want.

      I personally don't think that a lack of Radio ID support is going to
      stop me from buying the 396XT. That said, I can see how implementing
      the Radio ID with computer software might be really cool. You could
      draw 'live' maps of all the radios in a system. Once I determine who
      dispatch is, I'd like the ability to change the backlight to a
      specific color every time dispatch broadcasts. This way I could have
      a visual indication any time dispatch is talking. In my listening
      area, there may be several dispatchers. Such a feature would be
      useful.

      Who is not going to buy this radio if it doesn't support Radio IDs,
      but will go buy a GRE instead?
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
        Threaded...

        Ryan wrote:
        > If we, the customer, can accurately describe an implementation of
        > Radio IDs we think would be valuable, I would hope Uniden would
        > listen. So far I've not heard anyone state, exactly, how they would
        > like such a feature to work.

        Fair 'nuff. :-)

        > What should it be able to do or not do?

        Obviously, decode and display the Radio ID. I would have it alternate
        with the talkgroup ID (or text tag) much like the System ID and Group ID
        alternate.

        I would further want it to have an optional text tag for each ID so I
        could mark ID 12345 as "Anytown PD Car 7".

        I would also want it to be reliable and switch as the user radios do
        whenever a new person keys up.

        I think that sums everything up.

        > Do you just want to see the ID?

        Not just, but that is a key item.

        > Do you want to alert on the ID?

        Alerts would be nice, too (both audible and visual - like the talkgroup
        channels).

        > Do you want to store IDs?

        Kind of necessary for text tagging them.

        > You
        > mentioned the GRE implementation stinks, what would make it better?

        Doing what I mentioned - especially the switching when a new user talks
        and tagging of them.

        > I personally don't think that a lack of Radio ID support is going to
        > stop me from buying the 396XT.

        Uniden has a lot of benefits over the GRE/RS units. But, just having
        some better features is "not enough" if you want to dominate the market
        (or continue to in Uniden's case). For those who want the feautres
        unique to GRE, there is a choice - but both and live with having to use
        two units, or sacrifice the features the unit you choose does not have.

        > That said, I can see how implementing
        > the Radio ID with computer software might be really cool.

        It works very well on the user radios. Unfurtunately, my county tags
        very few of the users - just tagging those in your own municipality.

        > You could
        > draw 'live' maps of all the radios in a system. Once I determine who
        > dispatch is, I'd like the ability to change the backlight to a
        > specific color every time dispatch broadcasts.

        Exactly - a point I mentioned above.

        As for knowing them, many people have Trunker/UniTrunker/PRO96COM etc ID
        files for popular systems that already have many of the RIDs.

        > This way I could have
        > a visual indication any time dispatch is talking. In my listening
        > area, there may be several dispatchers. Such a feature would be
        > useful.
        >
        > Who is not going to buy this radio if it doesn't support Radio IDs,
        > but will go buy a GRE instead?

        How important is that feature to you? It's certainly something that
        would draw me to GRE if it worked well. Now, would I want to give up
        FTO, Paging decode, and all the other features unique to Uniden? Again,
        it depends on a few things:

        1. Does Uniden want to dominate the scanner market?

        2. How much R&D will RIDs cost? (really should be minimal since it's in
        the P25 spec for those systems)

        3. Is there enough in the budget to allow for #2?

        4. Is there enough user demand to warrant #s 2 and 3?

        5. Is there enough R&D time available? (or would it delay other projects
        - perhaps projects that would be more profittable?)

        Joe M.
      • johnstark
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
          Ryan,
          You can already do this with Unitrunker, not the mapping part, but the ID
          color codes for radio ID's