Re: Radio IDs

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...>
      wrote:
      > Hopefully Uniden will take note of the amount of people asking for
      > this feature. And I know a few people who bought GRE/106 radios due
      > that feature.

      Excuse my ignorance, but how is the radio ID useful? Perhaps if
      people like me understood why this would be a helpful feature, it
      will cause us to be more vocal about requesting it. I am sure that if
      the feature is that useful, Uniden will eventually get the point.

      Just like any software group, the Uniden engineers have limited
      resources. They can work on X number of features in each release. If
      you want a group of Uniden engineers to build support for Radio IDs,
      users need to be asking for it more than other features.

      Am I correct in assuming this would really only be useful if you
      wanted to scan specific radio IDs? What, exactly, is the feature
      request we should be asking for? "Only break squelch if these radio
      IDs transmit, regardless of talkgroup: <list of IDs>" or - "let me
      hold on a specific radio ID, regardless of talkgroup" - or -
      something else?
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
        Ryan,

        It might be better to go over to the GRE forum area on RadioReference and
        search for "Radio IDs". It's about the same thing what you are asking now...
        and read these threads/topics.

        GRE & RadioShack newer digital scanners handles the Radio IDs now.

        Will we ever see radio IDs on scanners?
        <http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84456>

        RadioIDAlert...can you explain???
        <http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113103>

        Radio ID's: Posting Guidelines
        <http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108858>

        Utah Forum: New Radio IDs? (shows how they are using it on Utah systems.
        http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123060

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
          It's useful for the same reason TGIDs are useful - to identify who is
          talking. It's a really nice feature on the user radios. The GRE
          implementation of it sorta stinks. It will never change during the
          conversation (unlike the user radios) and many times it never sees any IDs.

          The only down side is that if you had text tags with them, you could use
          all 22,000 channels worth of memory on one trunked system! Of course, if
          that is a priority for you, it's really not a down side.

          Uniden has a chance to really show up GRE on this feature.

          Joe M.

          Ryan wrote:
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "torontokris" <torontokris@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Hopefully Uniden will take note of the amount of people asking for
          >> this feature. And I know a few people who bought GRE/106 radios due
          >> that feature.
          >
          > Excuse my ignorance, but how is the radio ID useful? Perhaps if
          > people like me understood why this would be a helpful feature, it
          > will cause us to be more vocal about requesting it. I am sure that if
          > the feature is that useful, Uniden will eventually get the point.
          >
          > Just like any software group, the Uniden engineers have limited
          > resources. They can work on X number of features in each release. If
          > you want a group of Uniden engineers to build support for Radio IDs,
          > users need to be asking for it more than other features.
          >
          > Am I correct in assuming this would really only be useful if you
          > wanted to scan specific radio IDs? What, exactly, is the feature
          > request we should be asking for? "Only break squelch if these radio
          > IDs transmit, regardless of talkgroup: <list of IDs>" or - "let me
          > hold on a specific radio ID, regardless of talkgroup" - or -
          > something else?
        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008

            > It's useful for the same reason TGIDs are useful - to identify who
            is
            > talking. It's a really nice feature on the user radios. The GRE
            > implementation of it sorta stinks. It will never change during the
            > conversation (unlike the user radios) and many times it never sees
            any IDs.

            > The only down side is that if you had text tags with them, you
            could use
            > all 22,000 channels worth of memory on one trunked system! Of
            course, if
            > that is a priority for you, it's really not a down side.
            >
            > Uniden has a chance to really show up GRE on this feature.

            If we, the customer, can accurately describe an implementation of
            Radio IDs we think would be valuable, I would hope Uniden would
            listen. So far I've not heard anyone state, exactly, how they would
            like such a feature to work.

            What should it be able to do or not do? Do you just want to see the
            ID? Do you want to alert on the ID? Do you want to store IDs? You
            mentioned the GRE implementation stinks, what would make it better?
            Uniden can figure out how to implement it, or maybe GRE is
            reading this forum and will fix their implementation. Then if you
            want to use Radio IDs, you can simply buy a GRE radio. It won't take
            long for Uniden to get the point that this is a feature people really
            want.

            I personally don't think that a lack of Radio ID support is going to
            stop me from buying the 396XT. That said, I can see how implementing
            the Radio ID with computer software might be really cool. You could
            draw 'live' maps of all the radios in a system. Once I determine who
            dispatch is, I'd like the ability to change the backlight to a
            specific color every time dispatch broadcasts. This way I could have
            a visual indication any time dispatch is talking. In my listening
            area, there may be several dispatchers. Such a feature would be
            useful.

            Who is not going to buy this radio if it doesn't support Radio IDs,
            but will go buy a GRE instead?
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
              Threaded...

              Ryan wrote:
              > If we, the customer, can accurately describe an implementation of
              > Radio IDs we think would be valuable, I would hope Uniden would
              > listen. So far I've not heard anyone state, exactly, how they would
              > like such a feature to work.

              Fair 'nuff. :-)

              > What should it be able to do or not do?

              Obviously, decode and display the Radio ID. I would have it alternate
              with the talkgroup ID (or text tag) much like the System ID and Group ID
              alternate.

              I would further want it to have an optional text tag for each ID so I
              could mark ID 12345 as "Anytown PD Car 7".

              I would also want it to be reliable and switch as the user radios do
              whenever a new person keys up.

              I think that sums everything up.

              > Do you just want to see the ID?

              Not just, but that is a key item.

              > Do you want to alert on the ID?

              Alerts would be nice, too (both audible and visual - like the talkgroup
              channels).

              > Do you want to store IDs?

              Kind of necessary for text tagging them.

              > You
              > mentioned the GRE implementation stinks, what would make it better?

              Doing what I mentioned - especially the switching when a new user talks
              and tagging of them.

              > I personally don't think that a lack of Radio ID support is going to
              > stop me from buying the 396XT.

              Uniden has a lot of benefits over the GRE/RS units. But, just having
              some better features is "not enough" if you want to dominate the market
              (or continue to in Uniden's case). For those who want the feautres
              unique to GRE, there is a choice - but both and live with having to use
              two units, or sacrifice the features the unit you choose does not have.

              > That said, I can see how implementing
              > the Radio ID with computer software might be really cool.

              It works very well on the user radios. Unfurtunately, my county tags
              very few of the users - just tagging those in your own municipality.

              > You could
              > draw 'live' maps of all the radios in a system. Once I determine who
              > dispatch is, I'd like the ability to change the backlight to a
              > specific color every time dispatch broadcasts.

              Exactly - a point I mentioned above.

              As for knowing them, many people have Trunker/UniTrunker/PRO96COM etc ID
              files for popular systems that already have many of the RIDs.

              > This way I could have
              > a visual indication any time dispatch is talking. In my listening
              > area, there may be several dispatchers. Such a feature would be
              > useful.
              >
              > Who is not going to buy this radio if it doesn't support Radio IDs,
              > but will go buy a GRE instead?

              How important is that feature to you? It's certainly something that
              would draw me to GRE if it worked well. Now, would I want to give up
              FTO, Paging decode, and all the other features unique to Uniden? Again,
              it depends on a few things:

              1. Does Uniden want to dominate the scanner market?

              2. How much R&D will RIDs cost? (really should be minimal since it's in
              the P25 spec for those systems)

              3. Is there enough in the budget to allow for #2?

              4. Is there enough user demand to warrant #s 2 and 3?

              5. Is there enough R&D time available? (or would it delay other projects
              - perhaps projects that would be more profittable?)

              Joe M.
            • johnstark
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
                Ryan,
                You can already do this with Unitrunker, not the mapping part, but the ID
                color codes for radio ID's