Re: Question About Band Scope Performance

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2008
      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...>
      wrote:
      > And just did it again using your example of the FM broadcast range:
      >
      > CF: 98 MHz
      > Span: 20 MHz
      > Step: 100 kHz
      >
      > Sweep time = just under 9 seconds per sweep (10 sweeps took 88
      seconds)

      Perhaps this is much slower than I thought. Clearly I was way off
      regarding how to use a band scope. I apologize for not having a
      professional background. I'm not even a competent amateur (put me in
      the beginner hobbyist category). Is the following right?

      20,000,000 Hz range.
      100,000 hz step
      -----------------
      200 possible steps in that range. right?

      Let's use the bigger benchmark you posted. In 10 sweeps it would look
      at 2,000 steps. 88 seconds to perform those 2,000 steps means it has
      a performance of about 22.72 steps a second. Is that right?

      Looking at the previous post:

      6,000,000 Hz range.
      12,500 Hz step = 480 steps / 6 seconds = 80 s/sec.
      5,000 Hz step = 1,200 steps / 13 seconds = 92 s/sec.

      Am I right? Maybe those of you good with math can create an easy to
      use forumla for determining band scope performance.

      The reason why I ask is really about the term 'real time.' Marketing
      people love this term, but the truth is there are so many ways to
      define it. What it means in this case (I would guess) is that the
      display updates in real-time, whenever the scanner actually gets
      around to checking that step (which may be quite a while depending on
      step size, range, etc).

      For those of you who are experts, can you share how this feature
      compares to other band scopes in the market?

      -Ryan