Re: Uniden Announces BCD396XT and BC346XT HandheldScanners

  • uniden.upman
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
      It does have global ATT, now, which does a pretty good job of
      knocking down overload. Since there is a global setting (F+long press
      ATT), you don't have to mess around with ATT'ing every channel as it
      comes up...you can quickly turn it on and off when you go to those
      high RF areas.

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@...> wrote:

      > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload
      would be better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening.
      My 396 (and every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in
      a downtown area or near a cellphone site.

      > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden
      wants to get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

      HandheldScanners

      > Humm...I believe the Exchange IF feature is to help with
      intermod. I
      > believe Paul said (but maybe not here) that the new unit will have
      > better audio due to new speaker and grill on the front. Patched
      > channels...I can hear them now, at least EDACS patched channels.
      >
      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Iszak" <miszak@> wrote:
      > >
      > > How about patch support? How about trunking based on System ID?
      How
      > about making it not suck for intermod? How about having a speaker
      that
      > doesn't sound like a POS cell phone?
      > >
      > > They need to concentrate on features that make the radio useable,
      > rather than look pretty.
      > >
      > > The 'new' features they are offering now are things that should
      have
      > been there from day one. The only reason they are there now is
      because
      > of the GRE offering.
      > >
      > > I'm not trying to bash the 396 offering as I own one and wouldn't
      > trade it for anything...but they seriously need to wake up and
      smell
      > the technology or else get left behind.

    • johnstark
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
        never seen any frontend overload on a Uniden, daily occurance however on the
        GRE's....

        > Perhaps "intermod" was a bad choice of words. Front end overload would be
        > better. No IF shift will ever prevent this from happening. My 396 (and
        > every other scanner) chokes big time whenever I use it in a downtown area
        > or near a cellphone site.
        >
        > There's really nothing that can be done about that unless Uniden wants to
        > get serious and put a decent front end into these suckers.

      • kayi4cle
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
          So, what does it look like? If you don't have a photo of it yet, could
          you please compare it's size to the current 396 (or 246, or whatever).
          Also, what color is the outside and is there a choice of colors? If I
          understand what I'm reading, the display is no longer the (for some)
          hard-to-see blue. Is that correct? And is it SMA? Thanks!
        • pmanu44
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2008
            http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT