System startup key numbers

  • Jim Walls
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
      I want to make sure I'm not missing something here. I quite regularly
      use one of two operating configurations for either my 396XT or 996T
      scanners (both scanners are programmed for the same FreeScan file). I
      had never done anything with System Startup Keys, but it seemed like it
      would be very useful. Last night I set startup two keys for the systems
      that I regularly use (keys 1 and 2) and set everything else to startup
      key 0 (solely to turn them off). Programmed the 396XT and am playing
      with it. Sure enough when I powerup with startup key 1 or 2, I get the
      systems with those startup keys, but I realized I get a horribly
      undesired consequence. All the rest of the systems are locked out, and
      not "System Quick Key off". That now makes it a royal pain in the A$$
      to turn anything else on as I have to go through the 9 step process to
      unlock a system so that I can use it (yes, I counted how many steps it
      takes to unlock a system).

      This unfortunately make the System Startup keys totally worthless as I
      operate under the belief that I can't comprehend why anyone would
      normally use System Lockouts instead of System Quick Keys. Lets see, go
      through a 9 step process that requires reading the display multiple
      times to lock or unlock a system, or on the other hand press a single
      button (or three for System Quick Keys above 9 - and yes, the ones I
      normally use are all single digit).

      It looks like Uniden made the really cool feature with Startup Keys and
      then implemented it so badly that it's useless...

      Am I missing something here????

      --
      73
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
        It's forte is when you're in a completely different area. I have three
        areas programmed - SW OH , SC OH, and SE OH. These are areas that I
        would never want to scan otherwise, so StartUp Keys work fine.

        They are not meant for Systems you want to individually enable/disable.
        You can just program them with NO StartUp Key to maintain the ability to
        turn them on and off individually or via GPS.

        Joe M.

        Jim Walls wrote:
        > I want to make sure I'm not missing something here. I quite regularly
        > use one of two operating configurations for either my 396XT or 996T
        > scanners (both scanners are programmed for the same FreeScan file). I
        > had never done anything with System Startup Keys, but it seemed like it
        > would be very useful. Last night I set startup two keys for the systems
        > that I regularly use (keys 1 and 2) and set everything else to startup
        > key 0 (solely to turn them off). Programmed the 396XT and am playing
        > with it. Sure enough when I powerup with startup key 1 or 2, I get the
        > systems with those startup keys, but I realized I get a horribly
        > undesired consequence. All the rest of the systems are locked out, and
        > not "System Quick Key off". That now makes it a royal pain in the A$$
        > to turn anything else on as I have to go through the 9 step process to
        > unlock a system so that I can use it (yes, I counted how many steps it
        > takes to unlock a system).
        >
        > This unfortunately make the System Startup keys totally worthless as I
        > operate under the belief that I can't comprehend why anyone would
        > normally use System Lockouts instead of System Quick Keys. Lets see, go
        > through a 9 step process that requires reading the display multiple
        > times to lock or unlock a system, or on the other hand press a single
        > button (or three for System Quick Keys above 9 - and yes, the ones I
        > normally use are all single digit).
        >
        > It looks like Uniden made the really cool feature with Startup Keys and
        > then implemented it so badly that it's useless...
        >
        > Am I missing something here????

      • Paul Opitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2009
          Take all of those systems you have set to Startup Key 0 and set them to have no startup key. It will then do what you are wanting to do.

          ________________________________

          ------------ --------- --------- -------

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
            Paul Opitz wrote:
            > Take all of those systems you have set to Startup Key 0 and set them to have no startup key. It will then do what you are wanting to do.

            Not at all. Since Startup Keys turns systems on and off using the
            System Lockouts rather than System Quick Key on or off, it's worthless
            to me. As I said in my original message, I can't come up with ANY
            reason EVER to use System Lockouts in place of System Quick Key on or
            off. A 9 step process to lock or unlock a system vs 1 button (or 3
            buttons for the lesser used ones) makes that a total no-brainer.

            --
            73
            -------------------------------------
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
              I have four major configurations. All four configurations use only S Quick Keys 0-9 (so I can do everything with one-press SQKs):

              SK1: Systems programmed the way I listen in the office. These are all systems that have no GPS enabled and includes Dallas, Denton, and Eastern Tarrant counties.

              SK2: Systems programmed with GPS, including GPS control down to the PD patrol district area for most of the DFW area. Scanning this configuration at home or car is problemattic, as it includes way too much stuff to actually be able to follow it.

              SK3: Systems programmed the way I listen at home. These do not include any Dallas County systems but do include Johnson County and Tarrant County except for the northern systems.

              SK4: I use this for "Travel" systems. For example, I'll be in San Diego this week. When I get there, I don't have to pull out the laptop and change configurations, I'll just power up pressing 4 and all DFW will be locked out.

              ________________________________
              > Take all of those systems you have set to Startup Key 0 and set them to have no startup key. It will then do what you are wanting to do.

              Not at all. Since Startup Keys turns systems on and off using the
              System Lockouts rather than System Quick Key on or off, it's worthless
              to me. As I said in my original message, I can't come up with ANY
              reason EVER to use System Lockouts in place of System Quick Key on or
              off. A 9 step process to lock or unlock a system vs 1 button (or 3
              buttons for the lesser used ones) makes that a total no-brainer.

              --
              73
              ------------ --------- --------- -------
              Jim Walls - K6CCC
              jim@...
              Ofc: 818-548-4804
              http://home. earthlink. net/~k6ccc
              AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

            • Sylvain Lamarre
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
                Hello!

                ... And if i may add: even though i don't have a 396XT (still with my 4 years old BCD396T), the one reason i see use of lockout systems is => for systems merely used, not even enough often to justify to allow them a key *but* still want to have them handy *in the radio* (no PC required) <=

                like this system i created for Quebec Air Show, an event which is 300km from here, and happens at 2 years interval: i was there last year, will probably be there next year, but i keep it in my 396 just "in case", but can't afford to allow it a Quick Key.

                Or like a system comprised of about 40 conventionnal freqs for our forest firefighters: even though i have their most current VHF repeaters freqs by region in the 396, i still have this system with all their VHF freqs (past and present) without CTCSS, that i like to run once a year, at the end of spring/early summer as they sometimes change freqs/tones in some regions; here also, don't want to waste a Quick Key for this casual use...

                -Sylvain.
                (envoyé de mon iPod Touch via Wifi)